Official DC United vs MetroStars PRE Match Thread • Atlantic Cup Matchday 3

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Oooooh Me like this line-up!

Lets tear up the rest of the season with nothing but wins starting Thrusday night. We have got the tallent, lets grab the scum by the balls and twist them off.

Opps - forgot that they don't have any......

-The Far Side

2. doneshufflin

doneshufflin New Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Washington DC
    good stuff

that is pure genius. i believe that both players are relatively easily bated also.

3. doneshufflin

doneshufflin New Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Washington DC
    attitude

For a team just coming off of a road loss to a mediocre team, we are some cocky fans. I think if we get Guevara and that batty boy Mathis to get yellows we will win all three games. But I do see the Metros at least tying one of these games if both of those metro-*#*#*#*# are still in the line up. I want revenge for that match in July and I hope that Hudson reminds the team about how awful that loss was.

4. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Cheer for the Crew

Bullshit I'm rooting for them! After we crush their arses I'm going to root for NE to finish the job and knock those muthafcuking pieces of shit out of the playoffs.

5. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Three Games In A Row & Match Ups

DC United vs NY/NJ Metrostars for The Next Three Games?

Is this a dream or a nightmare? I know it adds fuel to the rivalry, so I guess thats good for MLS as a whole -

But this is also kinda insane - Having once been in competitive sports and teams, I know its really difficult to face an opponent like this 3 times in a row so - Let alone so quickly - Some of these games could end up really ugly - Beautiful soccer games (Skill plus Energy) are what MLS games need - But so many games so quickly could turn the last game ugly (Kills plus Energy - or just Lethargy)

That said, others have it right - Best tactic for so many critical games in a row is to go out and establish the Attack and Control early - and for once, Ray has to do something professional here: tell the players to take each of these just one game at a time - don't play all three at once - you'll lose your head if you do - I'm sure Bradley knows this - so who will be the coach to get their team in the most professional frame of mind? - {sigh - not a pretty answer}

And which games are more important? - We could do well in the first two games, even winning easily - But then lose the most important one, the Semi-Final - If have to we lose one of these, I'd rather split the first two games and then win the Semi - that said, DC still has to go out early and Attacke and establish control - PERIOD - unfortunately Ray likes think establishing control is done by playing confidently in the back

Match Ups - late in the game - who's best at Dead Ball situations: Pope/Mathis vs Nelsen/Petke (who used to kill DC United in man-down situations)?

And speaking of Mathis, sure you guys all hate him - And when he's off, he stinks or fouls badkly - But when he's hot, he's hot - So - Coming into the Semi-Final, is it best that he's not playing (Red Carded in the Quarter-Final)? - Or would it be better to have him play and hope he stinks up again, fouls badly and gets a Red Card early 2nd Half to put DC up a man? - I guess that's the best scenario for Game 1 on Thurs night

and as a last thought repeating what someone else here said, after these 3 games, its time to root FOR the Metrostars against Columbus and New England - THEY, not the Metrostars, are the teams we have to beat and want to see lose

6. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Re: Three Games In A Row & Match Ups

Couldn't agree less with you. The first two games are all that matters. The third game is the distraction.

7. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

I made a somewhat rational and calm post in this thread before, so I have to make up some ground.

Scott, "pleasant surprise" should never be in your mind when we face the PutoStars. We WILL defeat them. We WILL destroy them. They are the great Satan. They are the Whore of Babylon. They're that one hair underneath your scrotum that gets tangled and hurts like hell when you move your leg. That hair must be plucked. They must be laid low like the pigs they are. I wish I could make the trip to Hell this Thursday...then again, I'm glad I can't touch that cesspool. But you had best believe this Sunday, I will hate with great hating. If y'all thought I was an angry young (half)white man before, you haven't seen a damn thing yet. The Scum will fall on Thursday, Sunday, and the following Wednesday. Bradley will know that we can never be defeated by those Joisey chimps. That commie queerbomb Guevara will get carded for being a cheating twat, and Travis Bickle will get ejected just for being himself; a miserable bastard. And if Bradley even thinks about trying that 4th-sub crap again, he should be shot on sight.

And to the Scum monkeys coming on Sunday, prepare for a storm of hatred the likes of which you've never witnessed. All of United's true believers are ready to unleash our rage upon you. Vengeance will be ours. Vamos United. Vaya al infierno, MetroScum.

8. Cuchulain

Cuchulain Member

Feb 18, 2003
    bardo city

9. DCU9ted

DCU9ted New Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Rockville
    I dont think that Thiago will start Thursday...he hasnt even come off of the bench yet...

10. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I want you to round up ever vicious criminal and gun slinger in the west. Take this down. I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, *#*#*#*#-kickers and Methodists!" - Hedley Lamarr

VAMOS UNITED! Beat the *#*#*#*# out of the SwampScum. I hope the proper pyrotechnic welcome is being prepared for Sunday.

United wins 2-1 Thursday and 3-0 Sunday.

11. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    personally i think mathis ought to get a card for the stupid haircut he is sporting now. that is what my one friend might call "pure south milwaukee white trash" style.

12. Cuchulain

Cuchulain Member

Feb 18, 2003
    bardo city
    lineup

actually, I think I like this better:

----------------Dema----------------
    --Convey--------Q2---------Ben---

-------Ronald---------Stewart---------

then if martins subs in late, stewart can pretty much move to anywhere in the midfield, depending on who's tired/sucking.

13. Cuchulain

Cuchulain Member

Feb 18, 2003
    bardo city
    Re: lineup

14. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you're meaning a Molitov cocktail for the Metro fan's bus. ;)

15. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Alex Prus will be the referee on Thursday night. Kind of doubtful that Dema will still be in the game by the end.

16. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    As I posted earlier but most people seem to be forgetting, Quintanilla will not be available to play on Thursday due to having 3 straight matches with yellow cards..

In this case, Bobby will most probably get the start in midfield.. It's definitely debatable whether he deserves a start or not, but we will need him by seasons end and this is as good an opportunity to start him as any considering the suspension of Quintanilla...

My guess at the starting X1:

----------------- Rimando -----------------

Ivanov ---- Petke --- Nelsen ----- Prideaux

Olsen ----- Dema ----- Etch ------- Convey

----------- Stewart ---- Cerritos ------------

Don't be suprised to see Ray switch a few players out of the recent starting X1 due to having so many games in such a short span of time (3 games in 9 days or 4 games in 14 days if you include last weekends match in LA)..

So, we might see Namoff start for either Prideaux or Ivanov.. We also might see Chino start as well as maybe a start for Cheba up top also.. Who knows..

As for the game, I see a 1-1 draw with maybe an ejection or two on both sides.. Alex Prus chucked 3 players out of the game last Thursday in Foxboro and this is a much more heated rivalry than the Rapids/Revs....

17. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I was thinking that the game might get ugly because Prus will want to avoid repeating the debacle from last Thursday.

18. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys (and gals) don't want to win the next couple of games, do you?

Good luck. :)

19. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    No Cheyo! Oh well... although I haven't been very thrilled with Bobby's play since the Tottenham issue, I am glad that we have a capable player to fill Cheyo's shoes... but DAMN, I don't like that fact that Cheyo's out of the line-up. I guess that this is Bobby's chance to break back into the starting 11. He better have a strong game... a real strong game.

As for the case of starting Bryan in place of Brandon or Galin... I think everyone here is cool with Bryan filling either role (although we would prefer it to be Galin's)

I really think that we need to see Thiago in either Thursday's match or Sunday's, since he's one guy that won't be playing next week in the Open Cup. I'm a little worried that Alecko came in over the weekend in place of Thiago, since I'd immagine that a proven goal scorer in the A leagues would be better than a proven goal scorer in college. But I'm sure there's more to it than just what appears on the surface.

20. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahem.

I don't disagree with your comment that perhaps Thiago should have been put in Saturday, especially after watchig how poorly Esky played.

However, at whatever level of proof you need, he HAS scored goals in MLS (The 27 July match aganist NE comes to mind).

With that being said, I hope we see Thiago playing this week.

21. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    At least you'll have a referee who has an idea how to call a match.

Perhaps ABMOD will be shown a yellow or two.

22. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Win the war, not the battle

I'm not a fan of hating, be it the Metros or any other MLS team. Sorry if that makes my post unworthy.

I posted about this sort of time on the Dallas Burn board last season when they had a similar run of many games in a short period of time. I advocated blending youth in with the veterans, but Jefferies decided to run the veterans into the ground, go all out for the Open Cup, and lost all of those games. The team pacing itself is key. Our run of games is a little different, because our opponents are all the Metros, so they face the exact same fatigue/depth factors. With that in mind, I suggest that we use our team depth and team speed to gain an advantage for games 2 and 3 while not conceding game 1 in the swamp.

A fast, attacking and fiery game will bring out the aggressive nature in Mathis and Guevara, so we may be able to get one or both out for either game 2 or 3. Here's my suggested lineups:

Game 1:
    ---------------Cerritos------Stewart-----------

----------------Convey-------------------------
    -------Olsen---------Kovalenko----Alegria-------

Namoff--------Nelsen--------Petke---------Ivanov

Subs: Stoichkov 60', Carroll 70', 3rd situational

Game 2:
    --------------Martins---------Eskandarian--------

Convey----------------Etch----------------Eliseo
    --------------Carroll--------Kovalenko------------

-----------Petke-----Prideaux----Stokes----------

Subs: Nelsen 55', Stoichkov 70', 3rd situational

Game 3:
    ---------------Cerritos------Stewart-----------

----------------Convey-------------------------
    -------Olsen---------Kovalenko-----Eliseo-------

Prideaux-------Nelsen--------Petke---------Ivanov

Subs: Namoff 60', Stoichkov/Etch 70', 3rd situational

Metros have little depth, and lack overall team speed. We can wear them down and get them upset. Even if we do not get a card out of Guevara/Mathis, we should get them quite winded for the second game, and their replacements are a huge drop off in talent. By keeping Prideaux fresh for the second game and alternating Petke and Nelsen for halves, our defense is far less likely to break down. Only Gaven has speed up front for the Metros, so being mentally alert at all times (not-fatigued) is crucial. By surrounding the younger players and the fatigued players by fresher and/or veteran players, we should be the less weary team for games 2 and 3. Frankly, winning 2 of 3 is just about as good as we can possibly hope for, and with these lineups we stand a chance in every game.

Win the war ... not just the battle. The Open Cup final is one win away. The season will be decided on standings points, not quality of victories, so we cannot afford to put all of our eggs into Thursday's basket.

-Digital

23. CrazyDCFan

CrazyDCFan Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Henan, China
    hahahahaha

24. sormun

sormun New Member

Jul 13, 1999

Wow,....take it easy !! What in the world make you guys believe that we are gonna " kill " the Metros ?? Again and again, it is my " ingrateful" duty to bring you guys down to earth !!! Let's see : our defense is our strenth, despite some late game lapses and some soft goals. Their defense is as strong as ours,to say the least. In other words, it is as dificult to score against them as it is scoring against us !! Let's see now what are our scoring capacity compare to theirs. Our midfield : Convey, Marco, Dema and Olsen against theirs : Clark, Guevara, Lisi and Richie. Well, I would say their level of energy and talent is superior to ours because Marco is too slow and without energy, he cannot run allover the field anymore !! Olsen is not what he used to be in terms of creativity and speed. Convey on the other hand has been gonne to long and his passing game sucks at this time, IMHO. Dema's energy is not going to be enough to keep their midfield from rolling allover us. Soo, at this point, our midfield will be forced into defense, just because they will not be able to opose the Metros' mid !! Just think about it, if, Marco's fate has been decided, why should he " die" on the field ?? Why ??
    For Hudson, I do not think so !! For the DCU ?? If, I would be in Hudson's place I wouldn't play Marco no matter what !!

Now, let's see what about the strikers !! Well they have Mathis, Wolyniec and the veteran Polish striker. What do we have in the front line ?? Cerritos, a striker from the Dallas' bench, Stewart a shame of a finisher and Esky a kid from the kindergarten !! Thanks to our coaches we do not have one decent striker on the team !!!

I believe we have no chance to beat the Metros this year no matter how many times we have to play them !! It is that simple !! Bradley did build a team ( he had some money to do so) our coaching team brought us some " left over" in the most important compartment, the forwards !! Well we are up to pay for their choices !! Sorry, to say this but we have to live with truth : they are better than us and our coaching ...........

Conclusion : Prepare yourselfs for the worse...!! I cannot imagine Ray's comments after the fact...

25. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    I think you're giving the Metros midfield and strikers too much credit.

Clark is class for a rookie, but he's still a rookie. Guevara is good, I'll give him that, but he's a temperamental diver. Lisi is a punk - he's a decent MLS player, but nothing special. Richie is as far past his sell-by date as Marco.

I'll take Dema over Richie 100 times out of 100. At this point, I'll take Olsen over Clark. I'll take Bobby over Lisi. And while Guevara is better than Etch week-in week-out, Etch is still capable of some magic - and despite what you suggest, Etch would definitely "die" on the field for DCU.

Up front, while Mathis has his moments (and plenty of them), he's got discipline issues. And I like the Stewart-Cerritos combination for DC. The biggest problem in LA was the decision to drop Earnie back into midfield and put Etch up top. If Earnie is back at striker and Etch is back in the midfield, DC has a much better chance of finding the back of the net.

Off the bench, we've got Martins, who was just named A-League MVP. Hopefully he'll see minutes before Esky does (and I haven't given up on Esky by any means...I think in two years he'll be a solid MLS striker...maybe not an all-star, but a solid player all the same).

I think Bradley is a decent coach, but I think he's a little over-rated. Everytime I read posts claiming that we'd be ruling the league if only we had Bradley coaching, I just shake my head...I think DC will be as ready for the playoffs as any club in MLS.