Official DC United vs MetroStars POST Match Thread [R] - 9/25

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Re: Re: love that goalpost

We were celebrating enough for him...

2. scruggs45

scruggs45 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    kp, va
    yesterday was awesome! if you missed the trip you should really try and make the next one if it is at all possible for you. the group that made it up there did a great job with the singing all game long. i hope you could hear us on tv. 2-0 WIN over the metros and a missed pk by cletus to boot...only negative is obviously rimando. that could be a huge blow but from what ive seen of warren he is a quality keeper too. i think the johnny cash on the way up was the key...man i cant wait to get off work and go home to pass out...not much sleep was had on the bus ride back!

3. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Dude, you are so right, checked out the Scum post- game site and they are some unhappy, apathetic bastards.

4. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i totally fogot to set the VCR for this one... I'm not going to the game this sunday, so could i bribe somebody into mailing me a copy? Or meeting somewhere where i could get it? i work near Tysons Corner...

5. So, despondent about missing the bus trip, I drowned my sorrows at the Cap Lounge last night and watched the US Women thrash Nigeria.

And then, after laying down for a little nap, I had this very strange dream:

I dreamt I woke up and went back to the Lounge to watch United play a game--World Cup-like--in the middle of the night.

It gets even stranger than that.

I dreamt Ray sat Etch for a whole game!

I dreamt Ray boldly broke up his only working forward tandem of the year by starting a new signee who had never played a minute in MLS and the new lineup worked!

I dreamt the team came out in a road game aggressive from the get-go, as if the LA game from last weekend were a dream itself!

I dreamt Earnie played like the Earnie we all expected we were getting over the winter, was menace on offense and defense, and buzzed all over the field!

I dreamt the midfield played crisply and directly and with purpose, even without the young player who's been one of our brightest lights there most recently!

I dreamt the defense played exactly the same tough, smart game they've been playing most of the year, even without our best defender!

I dreamt Bennie looked more like the Bennie of old than he has at any time since he came back from Europe, taking people on and controlling the right flank.

I dreamt I listened to the Soccer Show last monday and someone named Bison had told Diceson that our rookie keeper was the best backup keeper in the league and then lo and behold we had to sub the rookie in--the rookie who hadn't ever played a minute in MLS--and he looked composed and aggressive and totally in control, just like Bison Diceson said he would.

I dreamt the other team was the one to make the awful gaffe that led to a breakaway goal.

I dreamt the woodwork was our friend, our loyal friend.

And I dreamt we were one point out of second place and 6 points clear of the basement and my soccer team was looking more and more like a playoff team for the first time in years.

I gotta keep drinking whatever I was drinking last night.

6. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    And Bob Bradley was flying by on a bicycle? And Richie Williams was welcoming you to Munchkinland? And a redneck dude with a bad haircut was looking for his courage? And a little Honduran guy melted when you poured water on him? And when Talon ran in back and pulled the sheets away from the leader in the Giants Stadium control room, there was OCTAVIO ZAMBRANO pulling the strings?

7. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    As the old saying goes, "There's plenty of time to rest when you're dead"..

I live by that saying..

Keep the momentum going boys.. It's OK to tweek the lineup a tad (i.e, put Nellie back in for Namoff) but that midfield of Convey-Dema-Earnie-Olsen simply has to play on Sunday together.. I understand the argument to get some of these players some rest but one thing that is being overlooked is the fact that the Mutts have a significant disadvantage to us already in that they have little to no quality on the bench to help them in this grueling stretch of matches and therefore we should keep this "speed" mismatch going.. Marco would only derail that effectiveness IMHO.. The key to winning that game last night so convincingly was the balls out effort of all 4 midfielders for 90 minutes and you simply won't get that from Marco..

One could only hope that Hudson was watching the ESPN2 feed in the locker room to hear the gushing from Wynalda and Keough about United's dominating speed and tracking ability in midfield..

With all that being said, I wouldn't be upset in the least if Ray/John decide to make a few changes because this team now has shown that they have ridiculous depth and many options for first team spots.. I just think this team should capitalize on this momentum.. Hudson at least has shown that ability in his coaching this season.. he usually doesn't make changes in the lineup unless someone is suspended, gets hurt (poor Nicky) or just plain sucks bozac..

The mere fact that this was the most complete 90 minute performance by miles this season shows the ultimate potential of this team, even with missing Nellie, Marco and Q2.. Not to mention Q1, Stoitchkov and Reyes..

How friggin's scary would this team be with all it's options available?

As for the match last night..

In a word - masterful....

I've been very hard on some key players this season and right now I'd like to say to Ben Olsen, job well done lad.. I've always known he has had the ability to take players on, he just seemed hesitant for most of the season but lately he seems to have that old swagger back.. Let's not forget that this was Ben's first match on the right side of midfield in over a month of league play and for my money, he was MOTM last night, though the argument for Stewart is equally justified.. I've screamed on radio and in my columns that Olsen seems hesitant to go forward and always seemed willing to take the safe route instead of being proactive on the field.. This very well may be a mandate from the coaching staff (which has been pointed out ad nauseum by my radio bretheren) but he seemed to dismiss easy offensive opportunties at almost every turn.. This is no longer the case..

I've also been very critical of the coaching staff in some of our recent road matches in regards to playing for draws instead of going for wins..

Last night is Exhibit A in what I've been wanting to see from this team for most of the season on the road.. I understand if we need to play for a draw if we're fielding a team composing of Villegas, Alavanja, Lassiter, Zambrano and Curtis.. This team showed last night their ultimate capabilities when allowed to play all out.. Bravo Hudson/Trask for not reigning them in..

Let's take advantage of a down Metros team that will no doubt come out for blood on Sunday afternoon.. Get up early on them and keep the pressure on...

A win on Sunday goes a long way towards clinching our long overdue playoff return..

8. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    Yep, SMB did say that Warren would be needed. Since the beginning of the season, of all the rookies, Warren is the one that's gone the farthest in development. A couple of weeks ago I said on the radio show that there will be a "goalkeeper controversy", and due to the unfortunate circumstances from the last game, it will come to fruition. In my opinion, Warren is probably one of the top 10 GKs in the league - certainly better than Countess, and equal to a couple of others. While Rimando is slightly more athletic - but Warren's kick save showed some of his abilities - Warren is more physical, and throws himself around in the box as if he were . . . Zach Thorton. I'm not too concerned about Warren making rookie mistakes. He is decisive in his decision making and doesn't wait for play to develop around him. He goes out and tries to shut it down. If there is a problem it would be that he will need to speed up his judgement. However, everyday for the last six months he's been facing MLS caliber players, so that shouldn't be too difficult.

9. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks for the additional information.

The Metrostars were going all out against him at the end last night, knowing that he was a rookie, but he held himself up really well.

10. azul

azul New Member

Dec 2, 2001
    Seoul, Korea
    I stayed up late to watch the game on Thrusday night/Friday morning. It was well worth being tired at work today!!! Last night DC United played like.... DC UNITED. The speed in the midfield was wonderful to watch. Earnie Stewart's free kick and Ben Olsen's courageous header on the first goal were great. Earnie's well done pass and Cerritos' assured finish on the second were also superlative. On a highlight film that second goal looks easy, but it was the result of an entire evening's hard work. That second goal was also a display of strong play by veterans. I mean, how many times in the history of MLS have you seen that sort of opportunity blown? Winners like Stewart and Cerritos put that kind of opportunity away. The team needs to stay focused and put it to the Mutts on Sunday. I suspect that RFK will be rocking. Get well Nick and best of luck to Doug.

11. StanfordSam

StanfordSam New Member

May 10, 2001

12. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I am not sure if it has already been mentioned but that was the 3rd game winning goal in the last few weeks for Ben Olsen.

Ben Olsen is RED HOT!

I think Bruce Arena should dig up Ben's telephone number.

13. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Got you covered Vato....

14. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I don't mind keeping him around constantly for now.

15. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great road trip, thanks to gocaps and everyone else for organizing it. Thanks also to the MetroStars - your horribly inept performance made our night. Shout out to my seatmate Eric, a road trip virgin. Hope to see you on a few more. Shout out to to TCompton for kicking us down some Heineken.

The breakaway goal was a thing of beauty, perfectly executed. Stewart and Cerritos are such a devastating combination.

And finally...

TOGA! TOGA! TOGA!

16. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I wonder if Arena did talk to him a month or so ago as Benny sure is bringing it now.

17. sormun

sormun New Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Finally, I got to see the game on tape !! I have to admit, I was wrong in judging their midfield. All of them Guevara,Clark, Lisi and Williams played crap soccer, they deserve to lose !! I was surprised by the Metros' s lack of tactical discipline, Pope was playing in our penalty area instead of his own, most of the time. What's up with that ??

About our team, I think they have played with a lot of heart, making Chico very happy about that !!! But, like I have said before, heart is not enough to get to the desired level of performance !! I was not really impressed with our attacking game, a lot of unecessary passes, lots of wasted oportunities and the same confuse passing game like before. None of our goals were a result of a spectacular combination or a skillfull play !! I am not totally sure but the second goal Stewart' s pass to Cerritos was offside to me, I have not seen one defender in between Stewart and Cerritos, IMHO. They didn't run side by side Cerritos was ahead two or three yards all the time, that's what I saw on the tape !!
    Again and again, the show was rescued by our defense playing, they, really, have shown their class !!

I was not impressed with our new striker, I think, he has shown raw skills in controlling the ball and not exactly good orientatin on the field. Let's give him some more time !!

About the coaching situation, I believe Hudson did the right thing by not playing Marco !! Bradley did wrong not beeing able to control his player's reactions, especially Guevara had a real bad attitude, IMHO.

Conclusion : I was wrong thinking the Metros have a real advantage in midfield, they did not !! DCU put a lot of effort, especially the defense but, our ofense still sucks IMHO. The paradox is that this " on the road win " will make the next two games more dificult !! I believe the Mertos will play to win at "all costs" the next game, let's see if, we or they have the means to win it !!

18. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Um, Cerritos was behind the ball that Stewart played so the number of defenders does not come into play. He was onside. Our midfield played well. You might want to watch the tape again.

19. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Agreed.

20. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    And about Pope playing way forward- the metros were behind and they were trying to get more numbers in our box so they could more likely score. Yes, they were risking a counterattack by DCU, but sometimes teams do that...

21. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I am glad you concede that point.

Ray Hudson deserves a lot of credit for assembling the defense. "Defense wins championships".

Knowing what you know now, I would like to see how you view tomorrow's game. Regardless of what other posters say on BigSoccer, I like a different perspective.

22. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Me too.

23. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    The mere fact that sormun admitted he was wrong is enough for me..

Baby steps my friends..

Cerritos was no where near offside.. He did the correct thing by staying just behind Stewart when the pass was made.. Initially Cerritos was about 5 yards ahead of him when Stewart broke clear of Williams.. Stewart could have fed him the ball then but he clearly would have been offside so naturally both players did the correct thing.. Stewart kept on towards goal and Cerritos slowed up to put himself in position for a tap-in if neccesarry.. Stewart continued and did the text book thing all forwards should do, he put Walker in a position to make a decision and Walker made the wrong one by coming out on Earnie who simply played it accross for Ronald to tap in..

Text book breakaway stuff...

24. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    So do I, but I also like it when people acknowledge that our team played well.

25. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    the replay on "MLS Wrap" last night was pretty conclusive about cerritos being onsides. you could see the americanfootball lines and see where the ball was relative to ronald. the angle of the camera was very well placed to see this. he was clearly behind the ball.