Official DC United vs MetroStars POST Match Thread [R] - 9/25

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Sep 25, 2003.

1. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Attendance - 8077

Really - what is up with that? IN an area with, what 20 million people that's the best they can do? That would be the equivalent of us with 2000 people or so? That number is more than a little scary for the health of the league. Have they had bad attendance all year?
    Maybe we can help demoralize the Metros a little more on Sunday when we have at least double the crowd they had.

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I never thought I'd say this about a Bob Bradley coached team, but we were the better coached team last night. We found their weaknesses early on and kept hammering at them, until their subs were made in reaction to our play. Let's hope we keep this up going into the weekend. You know how this team is... Brazil '70 one week, Saudi Arabia '02 the next.

Sachin

3. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    definitely a good night for hudson and trask. they had the boys ready for the game and made good substitutions. even if nick hadn't gotten hurt, it would have been nice to put warren in just to get some minutes before the open cup match (where I think he would/should have started anyway)

4. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the most satisfying win I've seen in a long time. When Cletus blew the penalty kick (right in front of us) it was glorious. We started the trip listening to Johnny Cash and we watched the '99 MLS Cup final so it just set the right tone. We had a great group on the bus, fun and rowdy. It was great to see some old old timers there like Goodwin and heh heh, Matt and we had some roadtrip virgins who we're sure will be on many more. I know I'll crash later today but right now I'm so pumped off the win it's getting me through the morning.

Now the only fly in the soup was some cow kept telling us to stop cussing (has she ever been to a Giant's-Eagle's game? Have you been to NJ?) We weren't sitting next to some youth league, we had our own section (and by cracky if you were offended it wasn't like you couldn't move to another seat, there were thousands to chose from!) We've been told by their stadium people numerous times that we are well behaved so this gal was just being a crank, it was VERY comical!

So someone else brought this up but I was also thinking is there something like the diver flags we should bring on Sun? Should we make some other banners for the "quiet" side or come in early and strategically place hefty bags of confetti in different sections? We have tomorrow to possibly get together and do stuff. We also need to bring every neighbor to this game, we need a full house so gather your gang.

Ahh, I CANNOT wait til Sunday!

K

5. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8
    Great win. It was the best I have seen the team play in an important match since the glory years.
    There are so many positive things to take out of tonight.

1. The midfield finally played energetic football. They closed down the Scum midfield and did not allow them room to operate. The space between the backline and the midfield that has killed us all season was non-existent. The second goal was created by Stewart abd Olsen playing aggressive defense and closing down on the defender. Having th speed and hustle of Stewart, Convey and Olsen made a huge difference. Said it before and will say it again but I hope Marco does not destroy this defensive work and expose evrybody else on the team by starting.

2. Dangerous free kicks and set pieces. Stewart was hitting some great balls with consistency. Again, there is something very wrong if those duties fall back to Marco when he plays.

3. Did anyone else notice that last night Olson looked a lot like the Benny of old. For what it is worth I think he was the MOTM (with Stewart close behind). Usual great hustle but Benny was taking players on, controlling the ball and had an great overall game. I think that his confidence is back and we will see more of the same.

4. Convey looked more back to form and hit several dangerous crosses, made some good runs etc.

5. I think that our substitutions were used well. It has been a while since I said that.

6. The team played as a team and should great skill to go along with the heart.

7. A certain bitch ass punk who likes to dive is gone fr sunday. Everybody all at once say ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

THAT SAID I am not overwhelmed by tonight. I love beating the Scum. I love that the SEs outsung the Scum in their own home, but we have a long way to go.

1. Nicky. That is bad news if it is a severe injury. Nick makes me nervous but he does have a lot of experience and except for the occasional soft goal is an exceptional keeper. Warren is talented and performed well but he is still untested.

2. In the second half right before the Addo error that lead to the 2nd goal we dropped back and stopped attacking. If we bunker we will give up more goals then we will score. We can not back down so much.

3. The post games were boring. With Ray sick there was no one around to take his place.

4. Injuries - still a concern. Nicky, q1, Hristo, Barclay, Nellie (hope the rest of the team avoids the flu)

5. Bradly had an off night. Petke was always in a mismatch. That will not happen again.

6. THe scum were jut not good. While we had a lot to do with that I do not expect them to play this bad again.

7. Bad finishing. Coveys header, Martins break away, stewarts breakaway we need to score on clear chances.\

Its not over till its over and there are still two games left. We are moving in the right direction but still have a ways to go.

6. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I agree! Hudson/Trask outcoached Bradley last night!

7. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    Awesome result! I can tell you I am pumped for Sunday. RFK is going to be slammin'.

Sounds like the boys were playing well and well coached last night. Yes, things may be clicking for sure now.

Nice job on the SE bus trip to all of those who organized and participated. I wish I could have been there, it sounds like it was excellent. After thinking about it though, I've gone to 1 scum game up in Jersey each season over the last three years; we lost each one of those. Of course, the ones I didn't go to are the ones that we won up there. So while I don't take credit for last night's win, I think it's just as well I couldn't go up....

So finally, I went to turn on ESPN2 last night, only to realize that the guys who put our new roof on this week adjusted the satellite dish so that it no longer points at the satellite. Does anyone have a tape of the game that they could copy or lend me??? Please? Thanks!

See y'all on Sunday.

8. jkorzen

jkorzen New Member

Jun 25, 2001
    washington, dc
    Fantastic win. I loved the lineup on the field and I'm loving the new Earnie Stewart who has been showing up lately. Earnie looks like he is really enjoying himself out there.

Anybody else think the Metros really looked BAD though? Ugh.

Also, glad to hear people feel positive about Doug Warren, but losing Rimando to an ACL feels like it would be a huge blow. Nick has kept this team in so many games the past two years. This won't be the same team without him.

9. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    :)

Life is great!

10. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got you covered. Find me at the tailgate on Sunday.

11. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was one of the most entertaining matches that ESPN2 has shown this season. It was a very well played game (moreso by United). I was happy to see Stewart finally making a mark and holding it down in the mid. DC looked very focused, their touches on the ball were good all game long, and they played great attacking soccer. Good match, I was happy to see DC get a good result.

12. B-Striker

B-Striker New Member

Sep 10, 2003
    Northern VA
    Can't see why you are giving grief to the goalie because the opposition can't shot it *between* the posts ...

How about something more appropriate ... "Mathis SUCKS" muahahahahaha

13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a great day yesterday!!! We had a blast on the bus ride up! A little Johnny Cash, a little 1999 Cup, a lot of singing and many,many malty beverages were imbibed.
    When we got to the stadium, there was Vlad's brother Dema waiting for us with a grill which produced some very yummy lamb and shrimp, and I think sausages. Red&Black and Vlad almost immediately noticed that no one was in the parking lots. even where the esc boys usually are. Turns out they weren't in the staduium either, what a horribly small crowd. We had more people in our section than in any section. The esc came close, but you'd have to count heads to be sure. We were definitely the loudest. That stadium sux for noise though, it all goes right up and out.
    The bus trip back was a bit more subdued than the ride up as those of us who had to work tried our best to sneak a little sleep - not easy when you have Marco10 cracking the top of your head with his flailing feet all night, that bastard can sleep anywhere, and in some very odd positions, I am never saving him a seat behind me ever again! Animal House is always a good movie to watch on roadtrips, good choice to put it on.
    Dudley was a great driver, he is now a soccer fan, and was extremely nice to boot.
    The team was just awesome! What a great game. When Earnie stole the ball and made that run, he was coming right for us, he faked JW with his eyes that he was gonna take the shot and just calmly passed it over to Cerritos, easiest goal he'll score this year probably. I haven't seen such an obvious dive as Guevara's in the area in a long time. Earnie about ripped the head off that ref for the call, got a yellow, and kept telling him how bad of a call it was, pointed up to the big screen and told him to watch it again ;-) Our defense was just too organized for them, and Petke played great, something he hasn't really done against NJ up til now. Namoff was excelent as usual, Benny was everywhere, Thiago looked good, great muscling to get to long 50/50 balls. Bobby didn't look that good in the first, but owneed the second half. Good effort by all the guys working together.
    I'll have to see the tape to give better analysis, we were having too much fun singing and screaming.
    Whatever ritual Nicky performs to make the posts so magic, I hope he passes it on to Dougie.

I'm fairly positive my tape of the game did not work out at all, so I may be begging for a copy as well.

14. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might just make a few copies of the game and bring them on Sunday for anyone who needs them. First come, first served. :p

15. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    You the man!! Thanks, I'll see you Sunday!

16. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with this. Great game. Highly entertaining. Was it DC supporters making all that noise? Whoever it was it came across on the tv and really added to the spice of the game. Petke was THE MAN. Huge game. Your new Brazilian worked his #ss off and I thought the announcers gave him way too much grief for flubbing the 2 on 1. I didn't think he was that selifish; I thought the defender backed off and covered Ronald, so he had to shoot it.

I even thought Convey had an inspired game. Your midfield totally dominated. I wonder how Marco's feeling today, being totally left out of it.

Congrats.

PS. FieldTurk sux!! All the best to Rimando. (Warren was a bear out there. Good luck to him.)

17. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    As if they've never heard "offensive" language before. :rolleyes: We were in New Jersey - the state motto is "F---in' A."

18. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I thought the motto was:

"Give us your degenerates, idiots, and cretins that are yearning to breath toxic fumes."

:rolleyes:

19. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Officially, yes. But when filtered through Google's Joisey translator it comes out differently.

BTW, the play of the game for me wasn't one of the goals or the PK miss, but rather the sight of Eddie Pope clearing a corner out of our end. Totally surreal.

20. manmark

manmark New Member

Jul 29, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    any news updates on Rimando's injury today? Concerned fans and ultra-competitive MFLS players want to know...

21. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Well, at least we know now he's as good as any of our other "finishers".

Thx,

Jay!

22. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    So did I. It's great to see that Bobby's back! Right foot cross, left foot cross, shots at goal. I think he needs to start not sub, and this is all that he needed to get back on track. The whole midfield kicked a$$ last night. Dema bowed up in the D, Ben and Bobby distributing, and Stewart playing probably his best MLS game.

BTW what's the corner count up to? Maybe they should try some short corners or something.

Thx,

Jay!

23. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Just for fun, check out the boo hoo hoos on the Mutts board. Good reading.

Glad to see Convey showed up last night. I think he's better from the get-go than as a sub.

24. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    love that goalpost

van Nistelrooy on Sunday. Cletus last night.

One small step for mankind. One giant leap for justice.

25. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Re: love that goalpost

I was kinda hoping Petke would get up in his face and celebrate.