Official DC United vs MetroStars POST Match Thread [R] - 9/25

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Sep 25, 2003.

1. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what do we do on Sunday? Do we start Marco? dang, convey earnie, olsen and dema looked REALLLLLLYYYYY good out there together. Convey actually showed up like he wanted to play. I was VERY happy to see that!!!

2. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Did anyone catch what happened to Hudson? I heard he had to leave the game, something about health concerns, but I didn't catch what. Hope he's ok.

The Metros looked baaaaaad. They had no life. Once Mathis missed that penalty (which replays showed to be, um, questionable), it was all downhill from there. They threatened some at the end, but overall just stunk.

That said, we looked good. Earnie and Ben especially, just great work both ways. I like Earnie and Dema in the midfield, since both are essentially two-way players (neither is a true d-mid nor a-mid) and can play interchangeably when need be. The defense was rock solid, even without Nelsen. Even Ivanov managed to avoid frightening moments. Martins is a tank. It was nice to have a striker who could hold the ball with his back to goal.

Ok, I'm tired, but happy. Time for bed.

Kick some ass on Sunday.

3. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    You're our bitches now.

can we make that our new sig for DC United on BS?

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I haven't been this excited about a DC win in a long time.

First off, best wishes to Nicky. All signs look bad but here's hoping for some good fortune when he gets MRIed.

I never like to see players make their debuts at the expense of players who are out with injury but I have to say that I was VERY happy for Doug Warren. A lot of players would have crapped the bed in the situations Doug was thrown into but he came through this one with aplomb and was very inspiring.

I told Diceson before the draft I thought DC would select Warren then defended his selection here on BS once he was picked and then clamored for Ray to play him more. Tonight he showed why. Kid has game. Still has a lot to learn but he is a damn good GK. He may make some rookie mistakes filling in for Nicky but all in all, the club is in good hands with this kid in goal.

While Earnie totally deserved to be MOTM, if their was a MOTM runner-up, it would have to be Olsen. Not just for the goal but for his complete domination of the right flank, creating dangerous chances and playing tenacious defense. Anyone who has said that Olsen isn't playing well enough to go back to Europe needs to reconsider. If he sends that game tape across the pond - and tells teams he is out of contract - he'll get some offers to come over there and play.

Of more immediate importance, if he plays like that the rest of the way, DC is going to be very good.

Speaking of which, You gotta LOVE the way Earnie ran the MF. Tonight, everything was quick and direct. We still had posession but when Earnie got the ball he was very deliberate and immediate in getting it into the attack, a real noticeable difference from when Marco QB's the attack. I also think the other MFs loved playing with him and seemed to work harder - or he made them look better - than they usually do. Whatever, it certainly worked, particularly on that surface.

And, was it my imagine or, with Earnie taking them, was DC suddenly dangerous on free and corner kicks?

Cerritos continues to be a great acquisition, not just for the stuff he does on the ball but because he makes his teammates better. Like most of you, I loved Ali's efforts but he had the tactical awareness of a doorknob (which I always thought was strange since he's a very bright guy) and he finished as poorly as a virgin in a whorehouse. Cerritos is such a better player and he complements the current team very well and was well worth the No. 1 pick.

I liked most of what I saw in Martins. Obviously, he totally screwed the pooch on the breakaway and accompanying shank, but he showed nice strength and more pace than I thought he had. Not sure if he's an everyday starter but I applaud the team for giving him a runout and I certainly think he can help the team. (With him on the field with Nelsen and Petke I think the team will be far more threatening on set pieces.... especially if Earnie is taking them!)

Dema was Dema, scrappy and hustling. The PK call was BS but I loved his win-or-die-trying mentality. Definitely contagious.

The defense was solid. Namoff did a nice job on his flank, Ivanov had a couple shakey moments in the back but that's par for the course from him and in this game he looked pretty good going forward.

As expected, Petke went "home" on a mission and and that mission was to man-up all night long and he did. Prideaux shifted easily to center back and never looked out of place there. His versatility is so valuable.

Finally, hats off to the coaching staff for making the changes and having the team ready. It sounds like Trask handled much of training this week and ran the bench in the second half as Ray was sick. Big ups to him. And, to David Vanole for having Warren so prepared to step in. Also, Stoitchkov is one sharp dresser. Granted, with all the real money he made in Spain, he can certainly afford to buy good clothes, but, damn, did he look good in that suit, or what? (And I mean looked good in a hey, nice suit way, not a hey, I think you're hot way... not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Off to bed and looking forward to Sunday.

5. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    that was one hell of a match. we pounded them all around that pile of crap they call a stadium. the team played with tremendous purpose and desire.

martins really fit in nicely and he had a very nice debut. i too had no problem with his shot even with the open cerritos.

earnie dominated this match. he just keep running all over the pitch. he played one of the best two-way matches i've seen this year. cerritos was consistently dangerous. it was funny, on the bus gocaps played the 99 mls cup and i keep thinking of how active and forward thinking benny was on tape. he was like that in this match. dema had many nice plays, he is settling into that role. young bob also had his best match since coming home from london, he was very dangerous in the first half on the wing.

our backline was huge. they played beautifully.
    nicky and doug showed well. my fingers are crossed nick.

obviously ray and john did a nice job getting the team ready.

the bus ride was fun. the grillmaster led us in much song and the frosty beverages were cold and plentiful.

we brought it pretty loud in match. apparently one of the ushers told gocaps we were the worst and most disrespectful fans that had been in the stadium. i guess we did our job.

thanks gocaps and the eagles, great event.

what a win. a very, very memorable night.

6. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Geez. it's gonna be hard to figure on what Hudson will do, but I'll guess:

I think we see the same starting lineup, except that if Nellie is feeling better (probable) he'll play for Namoff. Our midfield was just too good tonight to tinker with and they'll be shorthanded without Guevara. Also Martins gives us even more of a height advantage:

-----------Warren/Rimando
    Ivanov--Petke--Nelsen--Prideaux
    ------------Kovalenko
    Olsen--------------------Convey
    -------------Stewart
    -----Martins--------Cerritos

Then for the USOC game, we'll get Q2, Marco, and Namoff starting:

-------------Warren
    Ivanov---Nelsen---Stokes---Namoff
    -----------Kovalenko/Alegria
    Quintanilla------------------Convey/Olsen/Carroll/Alegria
    -----------Etcheverry
    -----Cerritos--------Stewart

I really have no idea who Hudson starts at forward for the USOC game.

7. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    Far be it from me to ever agree with a metro fan, but I do agree here. We don't need a trophy to tell us we lost a shoe in your ass again.

I don't know where he got that either. We owned them, and sold them on the corner to the dirtiest man we could find.

Addo isn't a bad sweeper (that is to say, wasn't a bad sweeper), but is past it. It worked for them against Columbus, but we exposed their 3 man back line for what it is: 2 crap players and Eddie Pope.

I agree 100%. I thought Keough and Wynalda were way off by saying it was a bad choice. Strikers, in that situation, should shoot. The problem wasn't his choice to shoot, it was his choice to shoot with his right and shank it rather than finish it off with his left, low to the back post. A sure goal if he does that.

Martins looked good, though. A little time to settle in, and he will get goals.

If we had a week between each game, I'd say you leave the same group in. DC was superb tonight. However, with the lack of time to rest (and Marco's recent upturn in play), I think you have to play him at home. Lucky for us, I think this is a win-win situation right now. The lineup we had out there will almost certainly have more success, while I have a hunch that Etcheverry will do really well on Sunday.

This may have been the most complete game we've played this season. Really, all over the field, we were at least good, if not excellent. The metros looked a step behind from the first minute (and under Bradley, that's a rarity). Earnie Stewart played his best game in a DC jersey. He was all over the field, created a goal, and was superb defending as well. This is the showing we were waiting for from him. Absolutely, he was MOTM. And, he should take every single corner and long range set piece we have for the rest of the season.

If anything, we should have won by more. The metros, aside from the penalty, did nothing useful in attack. Even when they got desperate and started throwing people forward (Pope as a striker? Didn't we do that when we were last?), I never felt like they would get a goal.

Rimando's injury seems pretty serious at this point, and I'm sure we're all hoping for it to be nothing. That said, Doug Warren played like he'd been starting all season when he came on. I'm left with no nervous feelings at all with him in goal.

I can't say how pleased I am with how we played tonight. Without Quintanilla, without our best player in Nelsen, and we made them look completely second-class. I loved it.

8. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    If we win the next two, I would think we would be obliged to.

9. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    it's my understanding that the USOC matches are the team's decision... i.e., Nelsen's decision. At least that's what I think was said on one of the radio shows

10. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Martins had as much to do with this as Earnie. He commanded so much respect that Petke was left with a lesser marker, and he was able to exploit the matchup. Earnie's service was good too, but it wasn't the whole reason we looked more dangerous.

11. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Just watched the goals and the injury on the tape and will watch the rest of the game tonight. Good luck Nickie but a non-contact injury on turf like that is rarely good news.

In my mind the pressure is off for Sunday. 3 more points and 2nd place would be great but it would be pretty tough for us to not make the playoffs now.

12. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    I cheated and looked at my internet connection on my phone for the score while my wife and I were watching season premiers of her favorite tv shows. I was thrilled to see the 2-0 score and can't wait to watch the replay tonight.

I hope Nicky comes back soon, I feel bad he got hurt but props to Warren for stepping in and preserving the win. I hope DCU didn't lose Mark Simpson's number. Maybe they can bring him in as a back up to Warren. I don't know the rules to all that though.

Excellent win. As the day began I was hoping they could eeek out the road tie and come home for a win Sunday and take four points out of a possible six. Now they can come home with the chance to sweep the Metros in MLS play. Unreal.

Thumbs up to the SE's to making the trip up. One of these days I need to get back on the bus and head up for another road trip. The few I have been on have been a blast.

Bill

13. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Replay tonight?????

14. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So many people really stepped it up last night. This team doesn't resemble last week's team. Can they keep it up for two more games. Can't wait til Sunday.

Guilty Confession - I fell asleep during the second half, but woke up in time to see the replay of the second goal.

15. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    My tape from last night. My bad, I should have been more specific.

16. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My machine hosed up around the 59th minute so I was hoping for a replay. :(

17. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    Timing is Everything

Was it me, or was that DCU looking dangerous on virtually every set piece? Stewart set the tone of the match with consistent dangerous balls that kept NJ on their heels. If Nelsen wasn't out sick, it could have been even worse for them on high balls. As it was, they couldn't handle Petke et al.

Artificial Turf Injury # 43,893. How many more before the league puts an end to playing on trash surfaces?

Warren was wide-eyed but played like a 10 year pro. Good punch and good decisions off his line. The team should have confidence in him.

Guevara picking up yellow (for running his mouth, even better) and having to sit Sunday is justice for his antics.

If Marco plays at all Sunday, Stewart needs to take all dead balls. Period. End of discussion.

I'll admit to defending Mathis as a USMNT player, but it's hard to watch him play last night and then look at "Mathis to Man U" threads without laughing. He might play vs. Nevis-St. Kitts in the first round, but right now, Oktoberfest is the only reason he'll be visiting Germany anytime soon.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I intentionally fell asleep downstairs, so I'd wake up in the wee hours and could then watch the recording.

Great win, dominated all over, could have won 4-0 easily. It wasn't really bad finishing that cost us. It wasn't like a basketball team missing layups. It was more, a team shooting 20% on open 3s. DC didn't score but one of the many makeable-not-easy shots they had.

On the PK...I thought there was contact, but the reason I thought it was an extremely dubious call is that Guevara initiated the contact. Dema was just there, and Guevara ran AWAY FROM THE GOAL and into Dema. The only reason Guevara made that move was to run into Dema. But justice was served anyway.

How long have the Mutts been playing 3 in the back? And why did they change? Their 5 man midfield was dominated by our 4 man midfield. Also, I thought that Lisi and Clark were pushed into roles that don't really suit their talents, esp. Lisi. Plus, to me, the 4-4-2 is a better cold weather formation (all things being equal) because it's better for direct play, which you need on crappy grass. Also, the cooler weather makes it more feasible for a 4 man midfield to cover the ground. IMO, in hot weather where players are gonna wear out, you might need 5 mids to cover the territory. So I found it really weird that the Mutts did this.

My guess is it's a reaction to not being happy with the right fullback position.

19. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say i care about the Atlantic Cup a bit. Not becauase of the trophy itself, that is meaningless, but i care because aside from the MLS Cup, beating the Metros is the most important thing to me as a DC fan (ahead of international cups and US Open Cup). And the A.C. signifies our victory, so yes, i hope we win it every single season.

Olsen or Earnie for MOTM. I can't wait for Sunday.

I've said it before the Metros won't make the playoffs, this is just the first nail in the coffin. #2 on Sunday...

20. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    WWOOOOO-HOOOOOO!!!

Stayed up and drank some Killains and when Ben scored that first goal my shouts of joy woke up the girlfriend, had to yell at the TV in a 6 inch voice from then on. Gettting up for work this morning SUCKED! The Gueavara guy blows, when he dove to get the penalty I was hopeing Dema would just start kicking him. I thought Thiago did alright, I was really hyping him yesterday and thought he would get roasted today for missing that WIDE OPEN shot. I didn't think that was greedy though, it was like basketball, sometimes you gotta take it to the hoop.

How effective is Olsen? Huh? 3 game winners in 4 games? Never mind, too thrilled to talk sh1t. So if we are like 14 - 0 when Ben scores, does that mean that since like 1997 he has only scored like 14 times? I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not like ONLY 14 goals? But I thought he would have more in like 6 years. And Bless Earnie's bald little head, for an old dude he still has the wheels.

Last thing, they talk now, but if they would snatch the Atlantic Cup, they wouldn't shut up about it, ... because it would be their only trophy.

21. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    Re: Timing is Everything

I wanted to ask Dave Kasper what MLS players think about this new Field Turf surface. He sat with my wife and I on a flight from Charlotte to DC after the Open Cup match but he and the rest of the team looked spent so I kept quiet. In addition to Ginat's Stadium, I think Naperville and Dallas use Field Turf but I could be mistaken.

This isn't the '70's and '80's astroturf where it was basically plastic turf over cement. Field Turf has been installed at a lot of NFL stadiums. It consists of hybrid fiber, a low-abrasion synthetic that's as soft as real grass. It's getting pretty good reviews in the NFL from what I have read.

Unfortunately Nick got hurt last night on it.

22. All right! We kick those metro pukes Asses. United had a great first half. I haven't seen us so dangerous on set pieces since the glory years. How come Stewert hasn't been taking free kicks all year? He had a great game.

Our midfield rocked. Hustle and fast passing. We looked like a different team out there. Add Nelsen to that lineup and we can beat anybody!

I was jumping up and down on the couch when Stewert picked Addo's pocket and had his breakaway. Nice little pass to Cerritos and we score - beautiful. Petke almost had a great goal but his header went off the woodwork and then nobody but Olsen would fling his body in there head first for the goal. Did you see the forearm shot Walker tried to give him as he went flying past?

Martins - if he had put that one breakaway in goal or at least passed it up, he would of had a very good first game. He does look like a load and could really contribute down the line. I am excited to see more of him.

Petke and Brandon did well in central defense. In fact our defense did great with everyone covering for each other. Dema once again saved a goal and was all over the field and harassed Magee out of the game.

The only bad thing about this game was Nicky getting hurt. Warren did fine and had a really nice kick save. I'm glad we drafted him. He came off his line well and also had a few punches that were nice. I loved it when he grabbed the ball and Clarke ran into him and crumbled to the ground. Warren didn't even flinch.

Speaking of flinching - that Honduran midfielder of the scum makes me want to puke. Is that guy a puss_y or what? Guerva(sp?) makes LA's Ruiz look like Rocky in the toughness department. I swear I saw him trip on a piece of lint on the sh1tty carpet they call a field in scum land. Then he proceeded to roll around for five minutes and actually cry tears. Sure am glad I won't have to see him this Sunday as he has to sit out due to point accumulation.

Lastly - wish I could of gone on the buss to scum land. Bet the party was rocking on the way back.

-The Far Side

23. I agree - heard you loud and clear! Well done

24. basso

basso New Member

Jun 13, 2002
    dc
    in a haze at 3 AM I heard the brogue-filled screams of We WON!! Waheeeeey!!

I'm still in shock.
    a happy shock, nonetheless.

now, what is this about nick?

25. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002

Well, I don't think I ever actually said most of these things, but I was certainly a critic of Hudson/Trask (and Etcheverry) eariler in the year. I have not said anything (good or bad) on the topic for a while. The wins in July and August did not impress me much, but it is certainly nicer to win than lose... The last several games, even including the loss in LA, have impressed me. This team has finally come around and frankly it won't surprise me in the least to see them hoisting the MLS Cup in November.

Having blamed them earlier in the year, I will now certainly give credit to Hudson/Trask. I said earlier this year that I was desperate for them to succeed but saw nothing that convinced me they had what it would take to turn this team around. As I said then, I am happy to be proven wrong.

The switch to the 4-4-2, the more effective use of Etcheverry, and the acquisition of Cerritos have dramatically changed this team. Those who said this team simply needed 10 games to jell can also certainly claim some legitamcy to their arguement...

I was also not a big fan of the Cerritos trade, although I did not say so on the boards. The trade, I felt, was done more to pander to the El Salvadoran community than anything else. But there is no doubt that Cerritos has been a huge lift since his arrival, especially to Earnie Stewart.

On the other hand, I also was never one on these boards talking about how Ivanov (who btw I thought was very solid last night but I think most would say has been rather shaky at times to say the least) was one of the best defenders in the league... If people are being called out, should there be some sort of mea culpa for those who promoted the Ivanov is one of the best defenders in the league vew as well? :)

Oh yes, to make sure that I am on topic with regard to last night's game, I'll give credit to Trask for the late sub of Chino for Cerritos. Effective time wasting and put in a more defensive midfielder for a forward. Well done...