Official DC United vs MetroStars POST Match Thread [R] - 9/25

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Sep 25, 2003.

1. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    reminds me of McOwen running with a full beer at a Barra Tailgate trying to play the ball and spilling beer . :rolleyes:

2. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    And you saw what happened to me!! :) --Bad karma man! If i hadnt spilled that beer... I may not have a CSC inspired limp today! :)

p.s. SPEAKING of fast runners... Stewart's breakaway for the second goal was a thing of shear beauty. Anyone that says Earnie has lost some speed should watch him turn the jets on in that play.

3. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Watched the injury on TV, did not look terribly serious. However, the fact that the announcers and trainers were calling it serious has me worried. Rimando must have a pretty high threshold as he didn't seem to be in much pain coming off the field of play. Seems like Doug Warren is more than capable of playing in his spot. And if it is something serious, Rimando has a month to recover. That's a pretty comforting thought for right now.

4. Two Beasleys

Two Beasleys BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 30, 2003
    Washington. DC

People tear their ACL's all the time and don't even know it. Judging by the fact that Nicky immediately called for a sub, I'd say there's a fair probability that it is a ligament tear. When it happens, you just know. It isn't neccessarily painful (in fact ACL tears are frequently rather painless). Oh well . . . Doug Warren looked good.

5. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Oh, and Magee is a whiny little bitch. He gets the ball and goes down almost every single time. What a pansy.

6. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
  7. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    I personally think there is a better chance of Nick's knee have some cartilege damage before ligament tear. You don't get up, hop up and down, and then walk off the field with an ACL tear. I'm more afraid of cartilege damage which would result in losing him for a few weeks.

Otherwise what a friggin' awesome game.

8. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It took forever to get Nicky off the field and Warren on. Six minutes of stoppage isn't unreasonable.

Where are you getting your accounts? The Scum sucked big hairy balls tonight.

Says it all. I can't wait!!!

I'm so very glad I decided to stay up and watch the game. Almost like the old days.

It sucks huge that Nicky got hurt but Warren had a truly amazing few minutes.

9. Two Beasleys

Two Beasleys BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 30, 2003
    Washington. DC

sure you do, an ACL tear limits your lateral movement. That is what Nick was testing. He realized he had no lateral strength so he came off. ACL tears are not neccessarily painful and are often painless. Hopefully it wasn't a complete tear.

A tear is synonymous with a strain. There are 3 grades (1, 2, & 3) with 3 being a complete tear. Hopefully Nick didn't get to that point. The good thing is that he compensated for it with the rest of his body (hence why he flipped over) as soon as he felt the pop.

Whatever the result, the injury is almost certainly attributable to that field-turf *#*#*#*#. That stuff is just not made for soccer.

10. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    THAT was WONDERFUL!!!

That was a total performance. Guts and skill.

First for the Metrosucks...didn't Joe Addo used to be OK with Tampa before he rode Metro pine? Awful today.

Guevara: Way to go getting that yellow to knock you out for Sunday while mouthing off.

Cletus: even if you had put the ball on frame Nicky would have had it. CHOKE! Couldn't get his second yellow because he was invisible.

Now for United...Ben Olsen, Earnie Stewart, and Ronald Cerritos: total hustle, total effort.

To our goalkeeping corps: Nicky; a *#*#*#*# way to lose the record after such a great performance. Dougy; Poise, Grit, Aggressive Play. Waldo even loved it.

Convey: I thought you had the PK off Richie's hand. Apparently Guevara made a more convincing case.

To our travelling fans: We all could hear you going nuts at the end. Way to out cheer that pitiful crowd that NJ decided to produce. It makes me sad to be in Cali. Hope you all got stinking drunk as well =)

11. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    -Well I'm worried about a possible ACL. Getting his leg caught on that god damn astroturf...

We won this game in the midfield. Stewart (MOTM), Olsen, Kovalenko, and Convey dominated the metros' midfield. They all played well. Didn't it just seem that our mids were just faster than theirs? Guys like Guevara, Lisi, DiGiamarino, their new Polish mid, and Williams...they aren't fast enough. And next game we have Etch and Q2 (and Nellie and possibly Stoichkov) all rested while thge metros lose Guevara due to yellow card points. Yeah!

I also thought Martins played very well, except for his breakaway. Strong, interacted with his teamates, very active: an excellent pickup. definitely play him before Esky.

And Warren was sure busy and good in relief of Nicky.

12. CrazyDCFan

CrazyDCFan Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Henan, China
    What about Warren just laying that Ricardo Clark out.....isnt the guy in the air the one supposed to fall down if there is a collision?

13. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I hope our buddy Haig comes up and defends Guevara's absolutely ridiculous no contact dive in the box.

Or maybe he can talk about DC stalling by having Nick potentially end his season with a knee injury. Imagine that, someone having a REAL injury and taking time off the clock.

Ed Morgans, everything you said in your post earlier was correct and perfect, I just don't feel like going back and hitting the 'quote' button right now.

We get Eliseo and hopefully Nelly back this weekend while they don't have Guevara. THIS IS OUR CHANCE.

If we do have to play Doug, expect to see a great goalie. I can't believe anyone questioned that.

We also have a rested Marco against a tired NY team, could be very important.

The best part about them only being able to draw 8,000 was the fact that the DC supporters still would've been louder on ESPN if NY had double the fans they did. For any of you illiterate Metros fans, that would mean you would have had 16,000 there tonight.

I hope Amado knows how to dodge TP from the locker room exit. We'll see if he goes down like he's been hit just as easily when something really does hit him.

14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not a doctor, but i did stay at Holiday Inn Express recently .......... but seriously, all of what we are saying about the movement he exhibited is really irrelevant. There have been some people with ACL injuries who complete a game and find out 2 days later that it's an ACL injury. you just never know with that. I'm just hoping for a speedy recovery and let's give it up to Warren. The man looked good in there against some intense pressure. I'm gonna be screaming my head off at RFK on Sunday afternoon!

15. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Lots of players have done exactly that. Danny Manning blew out his knee (I believe it was the ACL and MCL at the same time but this is like 10 years ago now...) and he tried to come back into the game a few minutes later. It wasn't until a few hours later til he realized his entire knee was shot.

16. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    We're going to fight with ourselves? Metro "fans" are too scared to do anything like brawl. Good for them for actually making a trip down, it's nice to see their asses scurry home like El Salvadorans around the 70th minute mark.

17. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Can't believe Bradley would send Joe Addo out as their central defender. Really hurt them in this game. Hope Bob keeps doing that one....

18. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    I just got home from the match.... i haven't read much of the previous posts, so what I say might be redundant information...

huge props to the Eagles for putting together the bus trip. That was my first road game and I must say that it was awesome. Kudos to Dudley the bus driver. You sang like a champ with us.
    My voice is gone. It better be back by Sunday. I'm sure that we were louder than the entire Metro supporters. There had to be only about 2 to 3000 people in the stadium. It was really quite disappointing for a rivalry game. I guess we scared them away before the match.

That game was incredible. A huge win! I like Thiago. He's a big forward... very physical. There were several times that he fought off defenders that were hanging on his back. I thought he was going to get a goal there when Bobby sent him in a cross inside the box. Oh well. Good first game for Thiago.

Ok... I'm tired as hell. It's time for me to go to bed and dream about Cerritos' goal... and Earnie's awsome assist.

I do hope that Nick is OK. And I must say that I'm thrilled that we have Doug. He's an outstanding keeper and will do great for us if Nick isn't back on Sunday... but he'll be back... right after he saves his dog

Oh yeah, and K, watch your mouth! There are children around! ;)

19. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    And Chris Armas played 6 minutes of the match against Uruguay at the "Road to the World Cup" match at RFK last summer before he got pulled off, too.

20. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    With Nicky out, we'll see if Warren can back us through the stretch and playoffs. I'm with you Todd, I have complete confidence.

Doesn't look like a poor draft now.

21. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I like him a lot, too. Except for the botched mini breakaway he had a very solid game I thought.

22. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Yeah, I was thinking of Chris Armas too. bummer.

I give Guevara credit though for drawing the PK. It did look like contact to me and he embellished it just like Hristo or Marco would have. The ref certainly shouldn't have bought it, but every once in a while, he will. Still Nicky's best friend -the post- showed up again tonight. Hope warren has such friends...

23. The Artist

The Artist Member+

Mar 22, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC was dangerous on every single corner kick! They scored a goal on a set play and a counterattack!
    I think Stewart has found his position.

Hopefully Bradley plays Magee and Addo again on Sunday.

24. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Even though he shanked his shot, I find it hard to fault a striker for being selfish. unlike Earnie's breakaway, there was a defender in the middle to potentially break up a pass, so the shot was justified. It's just too bad that he completely missed it.

25. dcgoonies

dcgoonies New Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Maryland
    Trip was awesome

Just got back from the game.....
    oh, what a time we had.
    Depth, depth depth.
    We have it, they obviously do not. We'll see it more with Guevara out.
    The other thing they do not have is any FANS. Where the hell were they???
    We blew them out of the stadium!!!
    Very nice starting 11. Prideaux awesome as usual. Petke -nice job controlling back line. Good job overall by Namoff. Ivanoff played well both ways.
    Earnie was my MOTM. He just keeps getting better and better and better
    Thigo looked OK. Much hustle, strong, has a decent sense of the play and could turn in to a good pickup.
    Rimando's injury looked bad from the far end of the field.
    Warren looked AWESOME - no dropoff there at all.

What a great road trip - Thanks to Paul and all of SE for a good time.
    Now I'll watch the replay and smile all day.