Official DC United vs MetroStars POST Match Thread - 9/28 - [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Sep 28, 2003.

1. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the problem...

When the ref should throw a card and he doesn't, that lets the offender know he can get away with it, and it lets the offendee know he has to take measures into his own hands to protect himself. Both lead to escalation. I've seen way too many times when a ref will throw out a card in the first few minutes to "send a message" that that type of behavior isn't acceptable. Then he won't throw out any more the rest of the game even for much more violent fouls. Throwing out handfuls of cards isn't the solution. Calling fouls consistently, and giving cards when warranted (no matter the situation) is the solution. I rarely see this in MLS, or anywhere here in the US for that matter...

2. He had the little man complex. Wannted everyone to respect him and his authority.

Little did he know that if he just called a consistent game he would of earned respect. Now I just think he can take that whistle and blow it out his ass.

3. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree...

We lost the game for a few reasons. In no particular order...

Marco's starting in midfield (while he did a decent job) slowed down considerably our very quick midfield from last thursday. Coupled with the fact that they increased their speed, it was much more noticable. Benny's injury didn't help either.

Earnie & ronald where nowhere to be seen...

Finishing sucked. if not for the PK, we would have had no goals...

We were not smart with the ball towards the end of the game. no possesion to rest the defense, or just simply keep it out of their hands (feet)

too many fouls close in our own half. the item above would have helped in that regard...

The positive is that it took a miracle finish from the scum to just tie us, and all of our faults above are correctable

4. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Claymore, I agree that there are some matches where the players are just out for blood, they've lost focus in the match, and the referee is doing the best job they can and the players are basically saying "stuff it--I'm going after that guy's knee anyway!"

That was not the case this match. Metro fielded a lineup with the skills and mission of chasing balls, working hard, making it difficult for us to have a flowing match. It was an agressive team. But it wasn't a dirty one (though yes, there were a couple of bad fouls). The "card-worthy" fouls proliferated in this match b/c people felt they could get away with them and/or the standards were inconsistent. For instance, Leitch should have been gone for the foul on Convey, that wasn't just a PK. He (Kennedy) lost control of the match early and the only reason it didn't generate to a truly dangerous situation is that both teams were too focused on getting a result (instead of payback) to let it digress that far.

Any who reads my posts on these boards knows that I don't spend much time blasting refs. As I mentioned earlier, the ref didn't cost DCU this match. If United had played quicker ball, they'd have been up a couple of goals. Or finished better. Or killed the clock more wisely at the end. But Kennedy lost control of this match.