Official DC United vs MetroStars POST Match Thread - 9/28 - [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    DC United 1 : 1 MetroStars

DC United 0 : 1 Michael Kennedy

What the f'! Five minutes of overtime and all your crappy calls! It take a lot for me to complain about the ref but you were f'ing awful.

We lost the Atlantic Cup.

This is just wretched.

And I hate Mike Magee.

No Flames - No Trolls

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Frikkin' Ivanov!

Commits the foul that leads to the game-tying free kick THEN loses his mark, Magee, allowing him to score the game-tying goal.

This guy has to be benched.

3. wjones3044

wjones3044 Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Borinquen
    This is sh--

I could not tell what happened at the end of regulation. All I know is that it happened long after the final whistle should have sounded. The men will be separated from the boys in the next 10 minutes. Fu---!!!!

4. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    I was about to call the Metros chokers.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This is the second time in three games that DC gave up a crucial late goal. And, in the other game, they were under siege late.

It's also the second time in three games where the club didn't use all it's subs. Ray said on the TV interview the players were tired. Why not use all your subs.

It's also the second time in three games where the other teams subs came on and made a difference.

Ray, this result wasn't your fault, but, dude, ya' gotta get more out of the bench, especially late in the season.

Oh, and BENCH IVANOV!!!

6. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Great. We get screwed out of the win by a *#*#*#*#*#ty ref who can't even add appropriate stoppage time. At least we played hard and didn't back down.

7. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    We did use all our subs

Etcheveryy-Namoff
    Olsen-Q2
    Cerritos-Martins

Oh, you were referring to the GK sub...

8. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it final yet? MLSnet has been showing 100:00 for like 4 minutes?

9. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Oh, how surprising.

MLS gives the Metro a point.

I hope Troy Dayak breaks Magee's leg next week.

10. azul

azul New Member

Dec 2, 2001
    Seoul, Korea
    For some perspective, that is 4 points in 2 crucial games against the Metrostars. A late tie hurts, but United has certainly helped itself in the drive to the play-offs. There are 4 league matches remaining, and the team is only one point out of second.

11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    It's final.

It feels like a loss.

12. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    That's not really comforting when we deserved to win this game. Ivanov should be benched in favor of Namoff. He can't keep making those kinds of mistakes and expect us to win. But I still don't understand what the hell was wrong with the ref. How do you not add stoppage time in OTafter handing out a yellow card for DELAY OF GAME? Seriously, this ref made some horrendous decisions that really dictated the pace of this match.

13. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    We did use all our subs, but all the same we were out-coached once again:

Bradley:1
    Hudson:0

I'm getting tired of that.

Right from the onset, the metros took the initiative. As we last saw the metros they were a tired, slow, beaten team. But here they come out with a couple of nice subs and immediately take the game to DCU. Now one might think that DCU could handle that and return fire with fire. But that wasn't the case as Hudson started a slower lineup (Etch for Martins) which was furthered slowed by Olsen getting hurt very earlier and Quintanilla subbing in. Q2, as we know is also slow.

So the rest of the first half was played slowly with loads of yellow cards. The best opportunity was to the metros off a Mathis free kick.

The second half was much the same until about minute 60 when DCU finally picked up the pace resulting in Convey getting fouled in the box and Etch converting the penalty.

Then we drifted to the end, Mathis getting a red in minute 89 and five minutes of extra time- way too much. Lisi sends in a nice free kick, McGee heads it in and they hold on in OT to get the tie.

Total victory for Bob Bradley. His team was down and he took the initiative from Ray Hudson. Not suprising in retrospect.

Hope Olsen's okay.

14. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    The ref didn't beat us

Stop blaming the ref, guys. We should have won this by 2-3 goals if we had played with any urgency.

15. Bird

Bird Member

Sep 16, 2000
    San Mateo, California
    Disappointing way to give back 2 pts. Blame the ref as much as you want, but good teams don't give up a goal in the waning seconds of a game -- especially to one the shortest players on the field off of a 40 yard free kick. I've watched the replay 10 times and still can't figure out what Ivanov was thinking on that restart. Magee bodied up to him goal side and then just walked in on Warren with Galin left facing the wrong direction.

To rub salt into the wound, Magee said in the post-game that it wasn't really a planned play, he wasn't the guy you serve balls to in the penalty area and he was just 'trying to get somewhere near Eddie Pope.'

16. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: The ref didn't beat us

I'm not blaming the ref. But he did play a major factor in the result of this game. When the other team scores a goal in stoppage time that doesn't exist, then there's a problem. When he hands out yellow cards like their candy, then he should be able to add the correct stoppage time (in both halves and OT). When he doesn't make the correct call to add stoppage time after giving a card to someone for delay of game, then he should know that he'll get plenty of criticism. That's just inconsistency on the part of the ref that shouldn't exist. I don't expect the ref to be infallible, but he should at least be consistent.

17. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC
    The stadium clock was frozen at 99:59 as the ref actually blew the whistle before the full 10 minutes of overtime elapsed. That's inexcusable when he actually gave out a yellow card for time wasting to the Metros goalie.

DC blew this game and should be in second place with another piece of hardward. There's no excuse for losing a lead in the last seconds when you're playing up a man. Think of all the times that DC could have held possession and taken the ball to the corner to eat up time. It's nice that DC was still trying to score (remember Convey's set up of Kovalenko which Dema sprayed wide?). DC had a man advantage and the clock winding down, and they didn't take care of the ball. The Metros deserve some credit for never giving up, even when they were down a man. Sure the ref sucked, but that's standard in MLS.

I thought Hudson should have taken Etcheverry out and shifted Stewart back to midfield, but Cerrritos was limping a bit when he walked off the field, so maybe he needed to come out. DC lacked maturity in midfield at the end of the game and they suffered as a result.

18. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We played absolutely terrible for almost all of that game. Losing Olsen in the first ten minutes is a bad sign - Q2 had been contributing, but he's no Benny.

On the free kick - I've never been a goalkeeper, but shouldn't Warren have been off his line as soon as the ball looked to get over the first group of people eight yards from net? He played a hell of a game, otherwise.

Johnny Walker might as well have been Johnny Mathis - we did *#*#*#*#-all to test him.

As far as injury time goes - I would have given that much time. But then, I generally think there should be more extra time added to games, and it very rarely is. In fact, was there five minutes when they had to stretcher Rimando off the field (obviously taking longer than flashing some cards) on Thursday? It's not the amount given as much as the inconsistency that bothers me.

How is it that we not only give up a game-tying goal in the dying moments, while up a man, but that we commit fouls near our area in the first place? We're up a man, for *#*#*#*#'s sake - possess and go forward!

I know this may be rash and unfair, but if we drop the USOC semifinal on Wednesday, despite going 1-1-1 in the set with the Metros, this will feel like a disasterous week of soccer.

RS

19. Libero6

Libero6 Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC is a good team, Bird...that's why we support them. By all accounts the game lived up to being the biggest rivalry in MLS and DC has 4 points from it's last two games, a game in hand, and a firm grip on 3rd place in the East. I think Warren performed very well for his first start in an MLS game and calmed a lot of peoples' jitters over what would happen now without Nicky.

The officiating was suspect, nothing new there....the late NY goal was bull and Ivanov knows it...but the team continues to perform, not just as a team but as professionals. Mistakes will be had and refs will be bad, that's par for the course; the important thing is we are still in it and that lifts my spirits at the end of every game no matter the outcome. Too many seasons have gone by for the glorious Black and Red where a close loss was as much as we could hope for.

So leave the Atlantic Cup in the Meadowlands for another year. And the early and mid-season games against them don't count as that was a different DC. Out of three games we have one one dominantly and allowed a last minute tie (but with blood drawn). All that's left is to thoroughly crush them and knock them out of the Open Cup. I believe we'll do this, and I believe we'll do it convincingly.

20. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC
    The extra bonus from the ref's card-happy day is that Petke and Kovalenko should be suspended from DC's next game at Columbus. Mathis and Williams will miss the Metros game in San Jose.

21. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Well, if it's any consulation, we're still only 1 point out, and the Metros have to play in San Jose while we have the somewhat easier task of C-Bus in C-Bus.

22. Blublub

Blublub New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Okay, Ivanov has sucked all season but up until the goal he actually had a pretty good match.

I'm becoming more and more frustrated with Stewart (and I didn't think that was possible). That was just pitiful tonight. Misses a sitter late and costs us two with boneheaded offsides. In fact, both forwards were completely non-factors all match. Lots of opportunities almost exclusively through strong midfield play. Thiago looked dangerous at times as a sub.

On the plus side, the entire midfield looked very strong today - nice to see Convey making his way back and I thought Etch put in a solid 70 minutes.

Unbelievable that there were more scum fans than DC in El Norte. C'mon folks, where the hell were you all?

23. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Well, La Norte isn't that big.

24. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just got back from the game. let me say this ........... that was one of the most poorly officiated games ever. Ivanov didn't commit a foul at the end. at the end of the game, the Metros were just hitting long high 50/50 balls, and about 5 times in a row, in a span of 5 to 10 minutes, the ref gave the metrostars a free kick on it. as for the foul on Convey which gave us the penalty kick .......... the ref didn't even give the offender a yellow card on that foul! why not you may ask? because it would have meant he was out since the guy already had a yellow card. the referee was cowardly in this game.

25. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Any reports on Olsen? If Kovalenko is out for the next game it would be really helpful to have him.