Official DC United vs Kansas City Wizards POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 25, 2003.

1. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    I found it odd that Martins and Alegria were both seemingly running themselves silly while Tino just stood there. He was laughing and joking and I believe that's when Hristo said something to Ray. Point is Tino should've been ready. Hell coaches in high school sometimes react worse than Ray did.

2. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Where are the post-game quotes? I couldn't find them on MLSnet's piece on the game.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

4. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
  5. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Thanks. I missed the small print on the link. However, I thought fatbastard had said that there was something about the Hudson-Quaranta spat in the quotes. I didn't see anything about that.

6. sckrmom

sckrmom New Member

Jul 17, 2003
    Gainesville, VA
    He probably thought that he was just going to do the 30 minute warm-up and never get on the field thing!!!!!

7. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    Problem was he stopped warming up 10 mins into the session. ;)

8. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what about the FIRST flareup between the coaching staff and Santino, when apparently he didn't get off his ass and start warming up promptly and was physically thrown off the bench and onto the track? (Hudson didn't do the throwing, it might have been Trask). There was an angry exchange then - long before the incident with Hudson.

9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, that musta been somewhere else, maybe in the post match press thread somewhere. Maybe even one of the newspapers linked to there. That'll learn you to listen to a fatbastard :)

10. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Hee hee hee. I love it when Bobby does that. I remember him going after Robert Warzycha the same way. Love teh balls, but Bobby needs a bit more muscle mass before that'll work out in his favour (or some soccer-judo training...)

Ithought he did rather well over all. OTOH, one or two of those "c'mon, get up" came after fairly nasty and egregiously foul hits, and I *didn't* think much of that. :(

No way, Sachin! Sigi is fat. You, I, and Zack Thornton are just "stocky" :)

Can't we have Namoff as D-mid (where's he's good and wants to play) and Dema on the wing, where he can be more dangerous?

11. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    finally some thoughts

Finally decided to visit and post after my head cleared from the weekend. Mad props to the team top to bottom as well as all us fans for suffering such turmoil this season, and we should all be grateful in being able to share the spoils of finally celebrating a spot in the playoffs. At long last, we have begun to see the pride return to the red & black, as they said they would, and as it SHOULD be.

Great to see the enthunsiasm finally getting to spread beyond the support bases at the game, especially to all the spectators who joined the International standard and stood to watch the game. For myself, I will not be happy until we get the soccer mom's on the quiet side scripts of the chants- anyone ever heard a chorus of kids yelling? There were 5-7 kids who were chanting along with the drum circle at halftime- they were louder than the dozen or so drums!!! Maori war cry may be one thing, but I'll take a few hundred screaming kids any day.

As to the quality of play- I'm ecstatic for the result, and glad to have basked in a bit of the afterglow for both teams at the afterparty.

I got to share a word or two with Preki, make of it what you will. I offered that most of us before the game were anywhere from mildly worried to horribly petrified at the prospect of facing him up front. My exact words were something to the effect of being worried he would torch the nets tonight, and being glad we held him to just 1, and asked if he was surprised at Dallas' result. To his credit, he just shrugged and said, "Tonight was a happy tie- everybody's happy." Was great to see the sportsmanship with members of both teams mingling, with Dema appearing with drinks for nearly everyone.

Visibly and regreattably, there remain a few critiques that hopefully will coincide with the coaching staff's review in time for this week's prep and practice. Defense was good, but still need to lock up better communication, especially in eliminating any glitches with our headers going to Doug. Midfield- got after it a bit, but lack of cohesion overall on the attack was evident throughout. You'd be exactly right to say adjustments made along with Hristo inserton were our saving grace. That, and Dallas scoring 4 goals on Colorado in time for KC to notice mid-way thru the 2nd half, presumably. 10 shots on goal seems high, but then as I posted earlier, I am left unsatisfied with a total far less than say 20 or 30.
    Still can't understand why we decide to pass a ball that immediately turns into a 50/50 rather than retain possession and dribble to either draw the defense and open up the target, or simply move and find a better option. One touch passes are beautiful, but pointless if they end up on the opposition's feet.
    Have to agree with respect to header's as well- the post about not collecting possesion this way is spot on. Have yet to see a midfielder trap a ball from the air.

Enough of that - will save further critique for pre-game posts-what matters most is what's already been stated- the team has endured, we will be more complete come Saturday. No one can question the team's collective heart. Despite some observed flaws, I see us dangerous from here on out.
    Oh, yeah, I 'd forgotten what this feels like- WE'RE IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!
    VAMOS UNITED!!! BEWARE - THE BLACK IS BACK!!!!

12. Frog Boy

Frog Boy Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    It wasn't pretty but it was what we needed. For all of you Hristo naysayers out there, just remember who scored the goal to get us into the playoffs.

13. sckrmom

sckrmom New Member

Jul 17, 2003
    Gainesville, VA
    Re: finally some thoughts

I'm trying to get my son's entire U9 team to the game this Sat. nt. For many of them this will be their first experience at a professional game (hey, I'm not ALL of their Mom!!!) I'll make sure they scream and yell - make sure you show them the fun of the game:)