Official DC United vs Kansas City Wizards POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 25, 2003.

1. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My 2 cents....

1. The team probably tried "too hard" the first half. Whoever posted that it looked like we were playing a 5-5 was correct. We had a bunch of guys who wanted to make a difference and they pushed too far forward, the team lost it's shape offensively. As a result we stunk and looked tentative and did a lot of defending. This may be a good illustration of Hudson's comment about being "overly ambitious offensively" (I think that's a paraphrase but it's close, from his WP chat).

2. Let's not forget that KC was motivated to play this game, they are on a roll (a string of good results) and EVERY Gansler KC team is organized and makes you fight for everything--no freebies or gifts. So a result (especially when Dema ain't on the field) is very meaningful against the Wiz.

3. I've argued that Hudson ain't strong tactically as a coach. But I thought the second half adjustments were good. We can argue that Convey and Etcheverry in the middle didn't contribute a lot but the bottom line is the combination of adjustments (Hristo on, Santino on, Convey to the center of the pitch and so on) resulted in a much more cohesive attack. And I don't think it was a case of putting motivated guys out there (or replacing people who were half-stepping it). As I mentioned earlier, I think the first half problems were very much a function of a team trying so hard we were incoherent on attack.

I do think we match up well against Chicago (at least, as well as anyone could match up against them). And whether we play well or not, our team has a lot of heart and grit and never quits (there is a lot to be said for that). Congrats to all the United staff and players who've had a turbulent year yet got into the playoffs. Now let's see how far we can ride this.

2. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah...One other thing

I normally try to stay away from bashing refs because unless they are particularly horrible (like last week's ref during the Crew game) I figure they are doing their best.

However, IMO I think last nights ref did an outstanding job. On several occasions, when players went down looking for a card or foul, he just gave them this look that said "Nice try, you're not hurt, get up and play."

For what it's worth...any comments?

4. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Re: Hristo!

I noticed the same thing, espically with Stewart. I gotta say, I think the groin was keeping him from jumping as high as he normally does, thus throwing off his headers.

5. Jester64

Jester64 Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Takoma Park
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally! the playoffs again!

But Q2, man earlier this season I liked his efforts, but having watched the first half from the quiet side, it starts to make more sense. He gotted burn so often in 45 minutes it was ridiculous. No wonder Galin has such trouble, he was always trying to figure out whether Q2 was going to be able (bother to) stick to the winger coming through or not. His defense in that half looked more like a forward chasing the defenders as they pass around in the back. When Ernie switched over, it was a completely different game.

6. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it's up to me to be the first dark cloud. I didn't see anything last night - in either half - that tells me we're going very far in the playoffs. You can time our midfield attack with a sundial. We get WAY to wrapped up with short one-touch passes on the left side while the opposing defense collapse on us - honestly, how many times have we been trapped right in front of our bench?

I'm sorry, but we looked like the same old team last night, we just got lucky. Ten shots on goal - HUH? That's wildly optimistic.

7. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    About ten minutes before he went off,
    Earnie was near me, and visibly wincing in pain and
    trying to work through it.
    He took a hell of a shot in the head, and then asked to go off.

As for the result, discect it, triscect it, filet it if you want,
    they hung tough, kept thier heads up, and MADE IT IN!

YAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    Vamos United!!

8. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the words mate. Next saturday if you are there, come say hi to any of us. we're all nice people i think :D

but if you liked the emotion in the tunnel before the game, you would have loved it after the game in the tunnel under the overpass going back into lot 8. lanorte walked down there and started a drum cirlce and soon after members of la barra and the eagles joined in too. amazing night. i cant wait for next week

9. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Anybody else see the fan who jumped the fence and ran on the gravel and was arrested by the cops as he tried to run onto the field?

10. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    probably Thamlin

11. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    I can honestly (and proudly) say, that I don't really remember anything from that game. But what I do remember from last night leaves me with a great big :D

The Barra was rockin', the Nest was full (Kudos to all those Eagles that came out last night), the bowl was backed with 19,000+ fans. It was amazing see the section behind the Barra and the Nest standing every time I turned around.

I got to meet Preki at the post game party, and I returned a favor to Mike Petke by buying him a shot... unfortunately I had to buy myself one too... and I my stomach churns thinking about it right now... ugh, and my head is killing me this morning... but but everything about last night was awesome!

DC UNITED!

12. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Definately the best pregame and postgame tailgate of the year. The guys might not have played the most complete game but they earned the draw. They didn't give up and hang their heads after Preki's goal. Hristo seemed to pick the team and the crowd up and I hope he starts next week. Love him or hate him he comes to play. Even sormun stopped by the tailgate and said so. :eek: Anyway, my head hurts too. Damn childproof aspirin caps....

13. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    The tailgates were great... we probably could have gone through a second keg at the post game celebration if we had one.

14. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Couldn't make it last night.

15. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, saw that. see you next saturday right?

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    It wasn't luck. It was Kansas City not giving a damn in the second half and then giving even less in overtime.

We squeaked into the playoffs but last night remains an unconvincing draw against an uninspired team.

If folks want to be happy with that and call this brass gold then I guess they can. But I still want much more from DC United.

17. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    While I will agree that Q2 sucked the first half, he is in no way the reason for Ivanov sucking also. Ivanov got beat 1 v 1 almost every time he was matched up the first half. When he is making a forward run, he jogs back to defense and is no help on the counterattack. Petke has to cover that whole side of the field so I can excuse him for anticipating that Preki would go left and getting beat on the goal.

Namoff and Nelsen at D Mid together worked well because they were able to cover up for Ivanov. I next that next week should be

Warren
    Ivanov Petke Prideaux
    Nelsen Namoff
    Dema Etch Convey
    Earnie Hristo

18. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Whatever.

Last year DC United could not pull off the win at home against Dallas in the last game of the season. How sad was that.

This year DC United has earned the playoffs with a tie.

During the whole game I felt that DC United would be in the playoffs. One can sense when a team is not going to back off. So, to some degree KC did not push forward harder because they also sensed that they would not be rewarded due to DC United's unrelenting defense.

DC United may not be the best team in MLS but as JoeW correctly points out -"I do think we match up well against Chicago (at least, as well as anyone could match up against them). And whether we play well or not, our team has a lot of heart and grit and never quits (there is a lot to be said for that)."

Those are qualities that I would want on my team.

You can safely predict that DC United will lose against Chicago, but what fun is that.

Chicago may be a better team this year, but I hope DC United goes out fighting. In a two game series anything can happen.

We all want much more from DC United, maybe, just maybe it will happen. Gotta have faith!

19. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    "Everything is possible."--Hristo Stoichkov

20. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm both at once: I want more from DC United, but that's not going to stop me from being happy about last night! We're not where I want us to be, but last night was definitely a night to set some of those concerns aside and celebrate.

And celebrate we did!

21. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone else think that Tino will be traded if Ray and Hristo are coaching with United next year?

I do.

22. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great night--I got to the stadium late, with tix right above La Norte, and as soon as my ass was in the seat Preki's shot hit the back of the net. We looked pretty useless for the rest of the half, true, but things turned around nicely in the second half (all Hristo with the awesome intensity and emotion). Loved how RFK rocked at the moment he scored the equalizer. After that I actually had faith that we'd keep things even, or even score (Cerritos certainly should have with that chance he headed right into Meola). I've never been so happy after a draw. Only downside is that I'll be out of the country next weekend, so I'll miss the playoff game. As for the pessimism about facing Chicago, let's not forget we beat them in the season series 2-1-1. True that they've been improving lately, but I think we've finally got some momentum, so who can say? Anything is possible.

23. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I've been saying that all season. Trade him to Dallas for Eddie Johnson or some other young forward. Q1 just hasn't done well all season and needs greener pastures. The same can be said for Q2.

24. ataranto2000

ataranto2000 Red Card

Sep 22, 2003
    fantastic

Definately this game is fantastic.

Before the game : "muerte o gloria" "problems with DC United attak" "fire Hudson" etc.etc.etc.

After the game : "gloria" "attak score""Hudson strategic"etc. etc. etc.

The life is blue, DC is in (+ 3 games for champion)

I LOVE THIS GAME

25. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

That headcase?

Thanks, but no thanks.