Official DC United vs Kansas City Wizards POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 25, 2003.

1. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    N.N., Virginia
    We're in!!!! :D :D

And well said Sachin.

2. socRmom3231

socRmom3231 New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    Southern Merryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now, as long as the team realizes that next weekend a Beasley that looks like he is limping is actually getting ready to try to sprint by everyone. . . Talk about the injured bird dance.

3. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD
    Nice to be the playoffs. Thank you KC for not being too interested in winning the game in overtime and letting DCU waste an enormous amount of time. Rather than being excited about the result I'm more relieved.

The first half was the worst soccer for DCU this season. The play was disjointed, the players had no idea what any of their teammates were going to do, and the passing was abysmal with more hospital balls than one could count. At times, they were playing what appeared to be a 5-0-5 with 30-40 yards between the defenders and the attacking players. Etch, Q2 and Convey were terrible leaving the middle wide open and putting almost no pressure on the KC midfield, which eventually lead to Preke's goal.

Thankfully Q2 was taken out at halftime and the MOTM Stoitchkov was brought in. Also the moves of Nelson to d-mid and Namoff to left-mid and Convey inside changed to game completely. DCU finally showed some interest in actually scoring and made the game somewhat entertaining for a good sized crowd.

Now the Fire next week. I'm hoping for the best but don't see it happening this year.

4. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    This game did suck and the last overtime was embarassing to watch. But who cares about aesthetics when you've just made the playoffs for the first time in 4 years?

Nice loud crowd - bigger than any other game I've attended since the opener, I think.

I was relieved to see Marco and Earnie warming up before the game since I wasn't sure either would be available.

Earnie's pain and hobbling was very visible. Let's hope he didn't make his injury worse. But it was good to see Tino out there again. Right now, he definitely belongs on the right not up top for us.

Does anyone know why Martins didn't play?

5. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I was wondering the same thing, I was thinking he would come in for either Cerritos or Etch at the beginning of OT, both of whom looked gassed.

Question, since Hristo had 21 caution points and picked up a yellow, is he out for the game on the 1st?

Also offical Attendance: 19,797 (according to mlsnet)

6. pablo1neum

pablo1neum Member

Jun 19, 2003
    BOWIE!
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We played good enough to make it into the playoffs, but this game was not very pretty. It's not a promising lead-in to the playoffs against the Fire. Clearly we need to raise our game a notch if we're gonna beat the Fire.

In this game, our attack was really weak. We had 10 shots for the entire game and only 5 shots on goal. Since we went in to overtime for 100 minutes of play, we averaged only 1 shot on goal every 20 minutes of playing time!

I believe we've now finished the season without a single goal off corner kicks (albeit I do remember a goal off of a corner in an Open Cup game).

What was the problem with our offense today? We controlled the ball with our back four, we moved the ball up the wings effectively, but as soon as we played the ball near the penalty area it got stripped or cleared. We just couldn't get shots in their third of the field and our crosses were almost always off the mark. Even Stoich's goal from Convey's cross seemed to a miscommunication between Meola and a KC defender.

7. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two entirely different halves. In the first half DC was timid and tentative. On the rare occasions when we put some crosses in we NEVER had a player on the far post! Once Hristo was on the pitch it was a different ballgame.

Did you notice that Preki faked going left, cut back right and scored with his RIGHT foot? After his last game here, when he scored with a fake to the right and a cutback to the left, BS posters jumped all over Nick and the defense for falling for a fake on the right side since Preki NEVER shoots with his right foot. So much for that theory.

BTW, there were at least two angry exchanges between the coaches and Q1 before he went in (and played well). The first time he was practically thrown off the bench and onto the track to warm up. Do you think he is still hurting and didn't want to risk playing so soon? Of course, he went in for Earnie who definitely was hurting yet was out there giving his best.

8. socRmom3231

socRmom3231 New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    Southern Merryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knave put out some statistics recently. Basically, they said that we are not taking shots. I haven't looked at the data for tonight, but I would guess that KC took more shots. I would also guess that KC knew what Colorado was doing against Dallas.

9. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I'm fairly certain that yellows do not carry over into the playoffs. I'm sure someone here will be able to corroborate this.

10. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    KC took 6 shots, DC 10 according to mlsnet.

11. socRmom3231

socRmom3231 New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    Southern Merryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's why I never bet.

12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll say that I'm sorry in advance, because I know that I'm gonna piss some people off here, but I don't want to see Quintanilla take the field again this year. I've gone to 5 out of the last 6 home games down the stretch here, and I'm yet to see him do anything positive. He and Etch slow the midfield down to a crawl, and I just can't take it anymore. Also, Cerritos looks like he's getting old right before my eyes as well. None of the 3 of them would be in my starting lineup. Replace them with Martins, Quaranta and Kovalenko and lets call it a day.

13. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Net says we outshot KC 10-5. Better, half our shots were on goal (Stoitch had 2 of them). I think KC had only 2 on frame; Preki's goal and Armstrong's late bid that he put right into Warren despite having no defensive pressure on him and lots of room in the goal to tuck the ball into. We lucked out big time there.

14. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    I saw the second one Thomas. One of the assistants, , appeared to be telling him to report in, and he was apparently just standing there, and the coach told him again, and again he wasn't moving (although he seemed to be warming up , i'm not sure) - and then Ray stormed over and shoved him hard in the chest with two hands.

Just then Santino started taking off his warmups and putting his shin guards on. Very strange. Then when he was about to run in Ray was shouting something at him again, maybe just trying to fire him up.

15. jb3

jb3 Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I think Santino was supposed to be running and warming up, but instead he was just standing against the boards doing some light stretching.
    Also, someone had to run in to the clubhouse and get him his shin guards before he could go in.

All in all, there were several people that looked like they were giving Tino some *#*#*#*#.

I had pointed out to my son during halftime the difference between what Tino and Stoitchkov were doing. Tino was laughing and joking around with some of the other subs as they juggled the ball in a group, while Stoitchkov was practicing headers being fed by Martins. I guess it was worth it :)

16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However we got in, I don't care.
    Stoitchkov, MOTM for sure.
    Glad to see Bobby playing well, he seems to be getting back.
    Ernie was definately hurting, played like a stud through the pain.
    Tino looks just about ready to start again, maybe?
    I thought Q2 was solid.

Any criticisms, etc, can wait--PLAYOFF BOUND, BABY!!!!

PS Props to Barra Brava--my wife, son, and I were sitting right behind you. The stands were jumping.
    And La Norte--we could hear you guys loud and clear!

17. Foots

Foots Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Ellicott City, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Can't believe it's been four years...

18. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    namoff and convey

Namoff is the man! I don't know how many times he tore down the line and messed up a Kansas posession.

What's with all the Convey bashing? He was fundamental in the midfield, especially after Etcherverry gave out in the 12th minute. He hooked up a lot of ball movement and the cross was superb.

19. Easport6

Easport6 New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Ohio
    So this is what it feels like to be on bottom and be the worst team in the league. It sucks, oh well perhaps it is better for MLS that the Crew did not make it, it would be an embarassment.

Actually, I came here to say I don't like the resut but I also do. Why? Because it will stir attention and get our coach fired which everyone has been meaning to do since he came aboard.

So no thanks, and thanks.

20. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Most uninspired drive to the playoffs EVER.

Me to Namoff after the game, Glad to see you get a shot a d mid finally. Namoff says yes I have been waiting all season to play there. Me, if you don't play there again next week I will throuw stuff at Hudosn. Namoff, Great, thanks for your support!! :D

MOTM was Namoff by far. Dema at A Mid and Bryan behind him.
    Thanks Meola.

21. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Namoff needs to be on the field. Espically if we are gonna have Hristo and Etch out there at the same time. I really don't like having Dema out there, I think he plays his best in central midfield, not necessarily as an attacking mid, but a central player. Maybe we should go with three in the back to get both Namoff and Dema on the field.

22. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    I just got home. I havn't read any of what is written here. I will say this...............

WE ARE

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF'IN WHOOO IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Allan Quatermain

Oct 23, 2001
    The Lost City of Gol
    Club:
    DC United
    Recommendation for next season: Fire Hudson. Hire Stoichkov as head coach/player. Hire Etcheverry as assistant coach/player. Make sure both Stoich and Etch get a lot of minutes. A team that has Milton Reyes and Ben Olsen healthy, Stoich and Etch on the field, and no Ray Hudson setting strategy will do damage.

AQ

24. socRmom3231

socRmom3231 New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    Southern Merryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All in all, it was a very bad day today for Columbus soccer teams. (Yes!) Alas that I will be out of town next weekend. DCU: Keep it going.

25. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah its not like he flew in from Bolivia less then 24 hours before the game... :rolleyes: