Official DC United vs Galaxy POST game thread (R)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Cweedchop, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Just because he's the best ref in MLS doesn't mean he still doesn't suck donkey nuts.

2. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    this was hard to watch, not the least of which becasue i had tickets in the front row right behind united's bench but the *#*#*#*#in hurricane shut me down.

we deserved a point. we played even for 90. i saw payne at summers and at the half time i told him overtime sucks, and he told me it wasn't "a big deal". tell me that now kevin! we earned a point, don garber *#*#*#*#ed us. *#*#*#*# mls, *#*#*#*# la, *#*#*#*# america west airlines, *#*#*#*# isabel that bitch, *#*#*#*# brian hall and double *#*#*#*# ruiz!

3. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    So who do we play up top? Q1 is injured, Stoichkov is injured, Esky couldn't find the goal if he was chained to it, and we need Q2 to play on the wing. Do we start Martins and Cerritos and move Stewart out left? How about Q2 and Cerritos/Stewart and put Alegria/Convey on the wing? See how pointless this is? Mindless suggestions based on one game. The combo of C/S has provided more spark for our team than any previous combination. Regardless of the result, someone would have complained. Instead of it being we couldn't finish, it would be that we couldn't put the game away. I don't think the team has anything to regret. They lost on a lucky goal (there's that luck thing again) and were unfortunate to leave without a point. Now they have to suck it up and go beat NY/NJ so they can stay in 3rd place.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Other than watching the game on HDnet - which is SO much better than regular TV, it's amazing - the best part about this game was watching Brandon Prideaux just man-up, particularly against Cobi.

A testament to how good Prideaux was last night was that when he attacked away from Prideaux, he managed to be pretty dangerous several times but when he went at Prideaux, he was stoned, repeatedly.

Brandon has really emerged as a great player and I really think he needs to be considered for MLS' Best XI.

I also thought Benny had a solid two-way game and that Nellie and Nicky played well, too. I know Nicky game up the goal but that was a very difficult shot and it just took a funny bounce. Besides, even if it hadn't trickled in, Torres was right there to pounce on the rebound and the odds are very good he would have scored.

Which brings me to my next point. I thought one of the big deciding factors in the game was that LA's subs came on and made an impact while, save for Namoff, DC's subs came on and basically ran around.

As much as I HATE to admit it, Serna coming off the bench gave DC fits and it was his cross that set up the game winner. Torres and Martinez also provided energy and created chances.

While Namoff didn't play badly and he did OK against Martinez, he didn't make DC more dangerous. Neither did Convey, though at least he played decent defense, and Esky certainly didn't.

Based on last night, it's hard to believe that Esky was taken first overall and Torres 19th. The latter seemed much more in synch with his teammates and able to adapt to a sub's role than the former.

As for Convey, I don't think he's being put in a position to succeed. As much as many of us wanted him to be, he's just not a real playmaking central mid. Like Olsen, he's a flank mid, and a damn good one. That's where he mainly played for United in the past, where he mainly played for the 20s and 23s and the senior national team and where Spurs planned on playing him. It's also where Ray needs to start using him, now.

If Marco can't go 90, and I agree that he can't, than drop Earnie back into Marco's role or move Dema up to it. But, put Bobby out wide where he can play his best position. Maybe once he gets a few games out wide and he plays well there and gets on the same page as his teammates and gets his confidence up, then perhaps he can be tried int he middle again. But right now, it's just not working.

Finally, and again, get HDnet. It's an amazing picture and sports look awsome on it, none moreso than the beautiful game. You can see so much more of the game, particulalry off the ball, that you're able to follow the game so much better. And, Marcelo Balboa is the best soccer commentator this country has produced. Watching and listenting to those games on HDnet is a joy.

5. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It was nice meeting the rest of the LA-area DCU fans tonight.

Some thoughts from at the match:

1) We didn't bunker out of choice, at least not early. Two things happened that made it look like we were bunkering: LA dominated the midfield and we could never really keep possession of the ball.

2) Hudson moved Marco to forward and Earnie into the midfield in the second half. This was mainly to try and get some more pressure in the middle third, but what it also did is kill any really good chance of a quick counter. This was when the "bunkering" started.

3) Esky: Maybe Jason Moore has some good career advice for him.

4) Convey has shown nothing since the transfer debacle. And that's not to say that I can blame him much - his dream was in his hands and then ripped away from him. But he was worthless tonight, and worse, looked toothless; every chance he had to go to goal in a one-on-one situation, he balied out and looked to drop the ball back.

5) Olsen rotated throughout the midfield tonight, especially in the first half. The problem was, neither Dema nor Marco would cover for him, which is why the Galaxy seemed to have all the space in the world up his wing.

6) My first time at HDC: WOW. So, so beautiful.

I'm sure I'm leaving something out.

RS

6. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I love breaking up the tandem of Earnie and Ronald, especially after Convey was subbed on.

7. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Well, if any good came out of that match, it's NO MORE ROLLING ROCK!!!!!!!!! Let's chose a good beer for the match against the Scum this sunday.

8. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Supermanuno please take note of what is written below.

Note how each person who critcizes Convey states their reasons. You will note in other threads that Sormun and Budweiser, both noted Convey critics, take the time to state flaws that in their opinions Convey has in his game. If you just simply toss out "Convey sucks" you should expect to get your own knowledge of the game questioned. Arguments that become he said/she said name calling arguments are the likely reason why after only 54 post you already have a yellow card. Now as a Convey appoligist I will say that he has not returned to pre-England form. As stated above Convey did not play stellar but he also made some nice plays.
    He simply has not gotten his head back in the game yet. Last night was another example. Please learn to play by the rules and all of us are willing to welcome another opinion no matter if it is in agreement with ours or not. :)

10. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    That tandem was broken up before the game started.. It was obvious that Hudson/trask dropped Earnie into midfield and pushed Marco up top because they knew he didn't have the legs to track back defensively, at which point I would have planted Marco on the bench and brought in Convey and kept the Cerritos/Stewart combo together..

Sandon, good constructive commenting on the Convey issue and I agree to a point.. But to say that he isn't worthy as a central mid I'll have to disagree with.. When we saw the best of Bobby Convey on this team, it was as a central midfielder last season for the last 4 or 5 matches.. Additionally, he has played in the middle for the U-20's recently and I thought he we very good in the
    WC qualifiers from that position.. Not to mention he has had a few decent showings from the central midfield position for the National Team as well (second half vs Argentina; entire match vs. Wales and most of the match against Costa Rica in the Gold Cup).. Granted, he isn't even close to that form right now and he will probably be better suited for this team on the left wing as it is currently constructed.

Again, it was a tough loss last night but I'd rather lose like that then be completely outplayed and have no teeth like in the match at San Jose last month..

We'll be OK and those lucky facks the Mutts will have two tough matches staring at them in the next week..

11. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I don't think we started out trying to bunker. I think we were looking to counter (part of our successful strategy against SJ for instance). A big mistake.

LA's midfield has been mediocre at best this season. We needed to press forward, seek to attack and at least pressure them from the defensive third on. This would have been a fine match for anyone but Marco at A-mid (and I'm not bashing Marco, only that you want someone with legs and effort). With hindsight, I've have played Dema at A-mid and Namoff at D-mid.

12. DissonantNote

DissonantNote New Member

Jun 30, 2002
    SW/DC
    Misapplication of Theory?

Are you sure the Rolling Rock phenomenon applies outside in Lot 8?

But if it does, my guess is you WEREN'T drinking Rolling Rock last night and maybe we can attribute the loss to that!

I'm innocent, I wasn't drinking beer at all (but maybe something a bit stronger instead :) ).

#8 Member

Jul 5, 2000
    Washington DC metro
    The backline, save for Ivanov was damn solid all night. Ivanov played reasonably well, but he sure seems to lose his marks inside the area with great frequency. For someone that was touted as possibly the best defender in the MLS prior to the season, he isnt even close. I think he is the 5th best defender on the active roster. I would feel much more comfortable with Prideaux and Namoff at the outside backs. Unfortunately, neither really brings much to the attack, but both are solid defenders. I agree with most posters assessments of Convey's play. His head is so far out of the game right now. I dont think he is ready or able to man the middle until he snaps out of it. However, I would start him on the left side, and force him back into playing shape (physically and mentally). I thought Marco had his best match of the century last week. This week he regressed back to typical form. I think he is no more than a 35 to 50 minute player. I think the best use of the roster as of now would be to push Nelsen to dmid, and Dema to amid and pull Ivanov into the middle when Marco is out. Hopefully Petke can yell at him enough to stay on his man. Cerritos/Stewart should continue as the pairing up front for the rest of the season. Esky's play is really in the crapper right now. This performance should nail him to the bench for the remainder of the season. Lets see what we have in Martins as the first forward off the bench, assuming Hristo isnt ready yet. At about the 55 minute mark, I told a couple friends, this is going to be a 1-0 result, and someone is going to go home damn upset. A strong effort, but you can't win every close game. Also, could Cobi be a bigger prick? Brandon stuffs him for the umpteenth time, so bitchass Cobi chops him down from behind. Hall should have carded him there (although he let Q2 clobber Moreno without a card). Late in the match Cobi slapped or punched Esky in the head. Where is Aunger when we need him?

14. doctorjim

doctorjim New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Lost power ten minutes into the second half, so didn't see the rest of the game. So only some general observations.

It hardly seems a winning tactic to leave Convey on the bench and start Q2. Q2 has proven over nearly a season that physically he cannot cope. San Jose made mincemeat of him last week and LA was doing much the same thing last night. Q2's only response is to foul. I guess Ray (or someone) sees this a grit and feistiness. It's really a sign that the player is completely overmatched.

Bobby, on the other hand, clearly has the tools to play in MLS. True, he has not blended well with the team this year, but he is one of DC's most talented players. To win, it seems to me, DC must get Convey on the field and keep him on the field. I would put him out wide -- where I know he can do well. I am not convinced he can prosper in the middle. Nevertheless, there may be some combination that would allow DC to put Bobby in the middle.

One could make much the same observations about Marco. He simply cannot play at the MLS level any longer. And Namoff -- he's too talented to keep on the bench . . . and so on.

Sticking with the current lineup exacerbates the problem. Soccer is a team game. Players need to learn to work together. Convey, Namoff, Q1, Esky and the youngsters need time with the first team to develop working relationships with their teammates.

The team has been doing better recently, but it is still clear that the quality of coaching is well below what's required in the long run. The wrong players are on the field. The formations make little sense. The tactics speak more of desperation than anything else.

15. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which U-14 team are you on?

16. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giving credit where it is due...

There was one "good" thing about last night's game:

The HDC is an AWESOME facility - at least it looked that way on the tube.

Any first hand reports? How much is parking and beer?

What's it going to take for DC United to get a stadium of comparable awesomeness (is that even a word?) You get my point.

17. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Can anyone at the game or someone who watched it on TV but was far more observant than I remember who the field sub was who didn't see the field? Hudson used Convey, Esky, and Namoff. I assume Warren was the backup keeper. Who was the fifth guy? Martins? Q1? Whoever it was, the fact that Esky continues to have the deer-in-the-headlights look but still came in before him, ouch.

18. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Ray Hudson is just not a very good game day coach. Other things he's good at but he's subpar when the game is at hand.

19. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, that sucked. I thought the team actually played pretty well. The only thing I wanted to say was that Convey and Esky were a waste of space, but it seems like that's been covered. I drink heavily during games, so maybe somebody needs to remind me - has Convey played well in a DC United game this season?

20. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    if it's the play i think you're talking about (late in the game maybe 70-80th minute) where cobi hacks prideux on the sideline right in front of the linesman, he did get a card.

21. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Re: Giving credit where it is due...

yes, it is awesome best place to watch soccer i've been to.

parking: $10.00 (though there's free parking on the street two block from the stadium)

beer (draft):
    small domestic: $5.50
    large domestic: $7.50
    small import: $7.50

they also have larger plastic bottles of things like MGD and corona for $10.00 (i think those are 22-24oz)

there's hard alchohol available as well, never even looked at that, must be really expensive

and then theres the stadium club, where you can get some pretty decent wines, at not very decent prices

22. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was Chino. MLSnet.com can tell you so many things...

http://www.mlsnet.com/games/03/tracker.php?gamename=09202003_DCLA&version=recap

23. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Giving credit where it is due...

Thanks for the info - I can't wait to see a game there in person (DC in the Championship would be nice)

Hmm...wine, huh? Definately California!

24. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    This line-up had won us two games before agaisnt LA and SJ, and in this game from what I've heard we played OK (I was not able to see the game I lost power on Thursday and just got it back today, Sunday) so the line-up can't be too awful, but who knows.

25. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ... mod's note ...

I'll post more later about the game and the ex-pat supporters there but for now let me just note that official pre/post match threads are always designated "No Flames, No Trolls" and they're reserved for serious discussion only. That means no crap posts allowed. On that note let it be known that I disposed of some of the crap/trolling that had been posted here.