Official DC United vs Galaxy POST game thread (R)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Cweedchop, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Well that just sucked..

The Mutts pull another miracle out of their ass and we lose on a piss ass goal like that after nearly 100 minutes of great defensive work..

Well played by United tonight but again, and I'll say it till I'm blue in the face, but these ultra defensive road tactics do not give us a chance to win these games..

Bravo to the team for nearly pulling out the point but I just had that feeling going into the match that we weren't going to take it to them like most of my fellow United fans thought we would and it ultimately cost us some points...

With a little better finishing from both Stewart and Cerritos we win this game..

I do have one problem though with this tactic that they employed tonight.. If we were going to drop off that dramatically and hope to strike with quick counters, why would you even consider playing Marco up top? I don't blame this on Marco in the least, I blame it on the tactics involved..

Well, we better get something out of the Toxic Waste dump on Thursday or a couple of sphincters will start to tighten up a bit...

No Flames, No Trolls

2. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I agree, it SUCKED.

It sucked even worse after following the PBP for the scum/crew game and seeing them win in the 100th minute.

It was deja vu all over again.

HOWEVER: we played a great game although I have to say I'm not on board with this defensive/counterattack gameplan - yes, Ray said it best: we should have been up at least 1 goal at the half.

Maybe it's just me, but did anyone else think Convey and Esky were just not with it?

Okay, the good news is we have TWO games this next week - both against the scum.

Let's get it on!

3. toddinho

toddinho New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Annapolis, MD
    Prideaux is the MOTM!

4. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *#*#*#*# ruiz. i could piss on his rotting corpse and feel no remorse.... well maybe a little.. but still. i can see his gleeming face right now. *#*#*#*# him. and *#*#*#*# the defensive tactic that Hudson keeps trying to force on the boys.

5. Begbie

Begbie New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    La Barra Brava
    Meant to put this on the post game thread.

This is what the damn bunker gets you.
    What are we Scottish? Minutes to go.
    Great effort and heart by all the players tonight, for fu*** sake attack! Pissed off going to sleep. It's time to bury the Metros! Cobi is a cu** too.

6. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Before I go to sleep, I just want to say that Esky is sort of like the second-coming of Albright, except that Albright misses easy goal scoring opportunities, whereas Esky just has no clue how to create or receive goal opportunities. If Esky had a good soccer IQ, he would have known that Stewart was about to lay out the game winner for him and would have run to space.

We also need to figure out a better way to use Convey if we're going to go deep in the playoffs. He just isn't fitting in right now.

7. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    From the every cloud has a silver lining department, with Columbus and New England playing each other next Sunday (right after our home match with the Mutts), the worse we can be after our two match set with the Mutts is in 4th place.. We can't possibly drop out of playoff contention..

Still bumming over this 99th minute loss.. I would feel a lot better if the goal was like the one Wolyniec scored against Columbus, but it was a dribbler over the line from Ruiz after a good reaction save from Rimando..

Brian Hall demonstrated tonight that he is clearly the best ref in MLS, though with Kovalenko getting slung to the ground on the game winning sequence didn't help his or United's cause..

8. scruggs45

scruggs45 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    kp, va
    cerritos looked like curtis on the break away attempt in the first half...

9. Cristobal

Cristobal Member

Dec 1, 1999
    Falls Church
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talk about a major kick in cojones. It would have been nice to muster a little offense in the second half. Convey and Esky provided NADA. Bobby needs to get his head back here in the states. Still a great defensive effort by the boys. I hope we can see Martins sometime. Its games like this that beg for NO OT.

10. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Yes and no...

Yes, we did put a lot of players behind the ball, especially in the first 25 minutes of the game and the last 10 minutes of the game and overtime..

You can't really fault them for putting players back in the last 15 minutes of the game.. As it was we were holding them off well and countering when the opportunities availed themselves.. It wasn't like Custer's last stand out there..

My problem is with the philosiphy in the first place.. We go into these road matches simpy telling teams to come right at us.. I don't agree with that at all.. I do agree however that late in the match, on the road, you need to do what we did tonight.. LA got lucky that's all..

As for Convey, it's obvious he still hasn't gotten into the flow yet, but his pace was a problem for LA and stretched the game out nicely.. Bobby also made a number of good defensive stops as well, but I guess that doesn't matter to the two posters who simply don't understand the game of soccer if they say Convey sucks..

11. Cristobal

Cristobal Member

Dec 1, 1999
    Falls Church
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey I didn't say Convey sucks, but its clear he isn't the player that left for London. He turned the ball over WAY too much. Coming on as a sub he is supposed to provide a spark. You be the judge.

12. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Wasn't talking about you...

It was SM and TD (although he said it in another thread)..

13. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Convey did not play great, didn't play awful either..

Saying someone sucks and doesn't deserve to play is open for a wide range of criticism..

Exactly how many offers from Europe have you received lately? They don't hand those out with Dry Ice ya know...

14. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    The defend like bastards and counter tactic does not fit how this time wins games. This team wins games by attacking and pressuring teams in the middle third and creating chances out of that. Rongen was completely right when he said that DC was not pressuring LA high enough, especially in the first half, then the same at the end of the second half and in overtime. Giving Cobi and Elliot and Vagenas space and time is absurd -- they're not so good that you have to jockey and delay them, but when you DO give them time and space they CAN be dangerous.

Rimando was fine. When he was beaten and saved by the crossbar or Dema he was pretty much hung out to dry by his defenders. He handled crosses well. Not much he could do on the goal, Ruiz headed it down pretty hard.

The defense wasn't bad. The midfield did not help them by out by not pressuring LA's midfield and denying service to Ruiz and Serna and Moreno. Ruiz did nothing but dive aside from his goal (I wonder how many times that statement has been written), and therein lies the problem. Petke fell asleep once, and there goes the game. Sigh.

The midfield, aside from Olsen, wasn't very good. Q2 gave us nothing but petulance and giveaways. His only decent touch was the ball to Cerritos in the first half. Etch was more or less invisible. Again, one decent touch, the pass to Stewart, but added little beyond that. Dema was iffy. He worked hard, he defended fairly well, but he gave the ball away A LOT. Olsen was pretty good -- worked hard, went forward, defended well, created some chances. Convey gave us nothing as a sub. The work permit situation must have gotten to his head, because he really did nothing of consequence.

Stewart played better in the midfield, where he could organize and work hard. But up front, he was baaaaad. One good opportunity, which he frankly should have finished, and everything else was wasted. Cerritos, too, had his one good opportunity, which, too, he rrankly should have finished, and, too, everything else was wasted. MLS is way too fast for Esky. It felt like he was playing in slow motion. The forwards were often stranded, yes, but in games like this they need to be able to hold the ball some, to allow the midfielders to get forward and attack with five or six players instead of two.

Random observations...

Ray used all three subs, shocking.

Who was the other eligible field player sub? Martins? Esky is better than him? Oy.

From about the 60th minute on it was clear we had no interest in scoring. Ray needs to understand that bunkering for 90 is all well and good, but those extra 10 minute of overtime are murder on bunkering teams. Same thing happened to Columbus tonight. You have to at least try and keep them honest and try and maintain some sort of possession. DC did neither, and it came back to haunt them (same as Columbus).

Brian Hall was excellent. He was always well positioned, he called fouls consistently, he managed dicey situations well, he only used his cards when it was necessary, and he wasn't fooled by Ruiz.

We better show more offensively at the Swamp or we're in trouble.

15. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes you just lose

I've said this before...

Sometimes, you have a game like the one tonight and somebody loses and it sucks to lose but that's the way it is.

Some nights you come back from 2 down in the 80th minute and win 4-2 and that's the way it is.

We're still in the playoff race and that's all that matters right now.

And that's the way it is.

16. Cristobal

Cristobal Member

Dec 1, 1999
    Falls Church
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we can all agree that the boys have to provide some threat offensively to gain a result. DC did not look at all threatening in the second half regardless of who was on the field. I sure hope we come out swinging against the Metros.

17. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I pretty sure I did not get any contract offers, then again I not say Convey sucks..

If you could hold your own against Convey, why don't I see you out on the field instead of typing badly on a computer?

18. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Thanks for the invite, but I have to walk my rabbitt tomorrow.. Good luck in your Rec league, I'm sure you are like Pele` out there against a bunch of overweight middle-aged men..

I've had enough of this.. I'm basically just taking advantage of the fact the Knave actually went to the match otherwise he would have halted this pissing contest long ago..

Guten Tag

19. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    supermanure it's past your bedtime if you have a match tomorrow.

If you're going to criticize anyone on the team, do it and say why... don't just say somebody sucks, it's a half-baked argument.

That was a frustrating match to watch. The bunker was in effect from the opening whistle and I found that I was saying to myself that we will be shamefully lucky to come away with any points at the end of this one. If we are going to play the rope-a-dope, we simply have to be more responsible with the ball. Too many players gave up possession too easily tonight.

20. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Convey did do was make a lot of poor decisions with the ball tonight. He gave the ball up four times when he had time to lay off a pass or go at the defense, and all four times led to dangerous counter attacks, further wearing out our team. He wasn't the only one giving the ball up late, but you would expect him to be fresh since he came in at 60.

However, he also was pulling his weight defensively. I'd give him a 4, 4.5 for his performance tonight. Usually, he his much better than that.

Nelson was a rock. We had our chances and should have won in regulation. But when all our shots are off-target or half-speed, we are out of luck. Earnie and Ronald should have scored on their first half chances. Oh well. I hope we do better against the Metros.

21. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That criticism applies to every single player on the field.

22. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    i can't tell if the brian hall remarks are sarcastic... he's by far the worst referee in MLS, i had my GalaxyGoggles™ on tonight, and there were still half a dozen calls we didn't deserve (of course in GalaxyVision™ there were a dozen you didn't deserve :) )

hall, despite being well away from the play over-ruled his linesman on three occasions and on all three occasions he was wrong.

nice game though, you guys managed to do something no other team has in all my games at victoria street (missed the two losses), you took the riot squad out of the game. it was much quieter and very disjointed tonight.

23. sormun

sormun New Member

Jul 13, 1999
    What did I say about "luck" ?? It works both ways : two lucky wins , one unlucky loss !!! This is the rule of luck in soccer, get use to it !!! Seriously, for long time now, I was hopping we are a good team that doesn't need luck to win games. May be next season !!

What do ya think about our strikers tandem, you still think they are great ?? I have told you guys both "replacement" strikers SUCK !! Get over it !! We still need strikers instead of those clowns !!

What about Convey ?? Do ya have a second thought ?? May be the "dummie" is not exactly for EPL afterall !!!

24. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm too tired to post much, but here is my $.02...

i stated in the pre-game thread that if Ray was going to attack, then Marco should start, if he was going to bunker, then bobby should start. well, Marco started and we bunkered. I am normally a Marco basher (altho i respect what he's done in the past, just not now, but thats for another thread), but tonite (as well as last week) I thought that he played a pretty good game. But Ray needs to use him where he is effective, closer to the forwards and closer to the goal.

i am glad Ray decided to use his subs, but i didn't think either benny or q2 were tired. later in the game petke looked a little gassed (not sure who would have gone in for him tho), and ronald looked beat as well. maybe he could have waited a little or saved one of the subs for later.

it looked at times that we were in a 451. way too defensive.

their midfield had too much time to look up and serve balls into the box. in the end it was just a matter of too many opportunities for the home team.

both earnie and ronald choked on a couple of solid opportunities for goals.

backline did a stellar job tonite. except for the last play. anchovy beat both petke and nellie for that header. very disappointing.

cobi won the battle with prideaux today. not as wide a margin as when prideaux owned him last time, but still cobi's crosses were a factor tonite.

at the end of the game, the earnie ronald pairing should have been together...

good game by nick

q2 was way too frisky in the first half. could have easily gotten his second yellow on several plays.

dema is the man

ivanov got toasted by albright of all people on a couple of headers.

25. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    boy thats alot for being tired...