OFFICIAL DC United vs E-Quakes POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by ursula, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    What a game!

You had to be there!

Convey scored a nice goal from a Moreno assist.

1-0 at the half.

With DC pressing and not paying to much attention at the beggining of the second half an outlet pass to Donovan saw him go 1-1 with Pope. Pope kept with him until Donovan made his move and shot against the run. Pretty goal.

The second goal was all Donovan again.

RFK died after that goal. It was dead silent.

When Ben came out he got a standing ovation and it seemed that inspired the team, as Villegas who came in for Ben crossed the ball into the middle, Pope got a header pass to Nelsen who buried it!

With the score tied and nothing much happening Eliseo came out to another ovation. Henry Zambrano came on and right away look dangerous and appeared to be giving Sans Jose trouble with his helter-skelter type dribbling. At this point DC United was throwing everything forward, so a few times on breakaways either Pope saved the day, or Reyes or Nick. Nick actually had a few sensational saves.

On a dangerous cross into the box Pope rose above everyone and buried it. A very important goal (it seems he only scores important goals). At that point everyone in RFK knew DC United was going to win. The old feeling of DC United that of "not to be denied" appeared to manifest itself throughout RFK.

DC United did not let up, and as Sans Jose pressured for the equalizer DC United look very dangerous on counters. Ultimately one of these counters led to a Petter Villegas goal on some very good passing by the forwards.

RFK was a cauldron of noise.

2. Fniyonga

Fniyonga New Member

Jun 23, 2000
    DC
    Unfortunately those goals are coming too late to bear any meaning.

3. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Maybe it's just coincidence, but in both matches against San Jose (and not any other time this season) we had pretty much our best 11 out there (Quaranta being the exception) and it showed..

This is why it is so difficult for this team when Moreno or Olsen or Etcheverry miss matches due to injury.. We simply aren't the same team without them as we have a HUGE dropoff in talent when any of our front line players is out..

Any of you Einstein's still want to see Moreno on the next train out of town?

We must take the good with the bad this season.. This was one of the most exciting end to end matches I have ever seen in MLS history..

Thank God for Nick Rimando..

Ray Hudson sprinted out to Rimando after the final whistle and gave him a huge bear hug that seemed to last for minutes.. Rimando made a number of ridiculous one v one saves when San Jose was up 2-1 on us and effectively saved our asses with those big saves...

Dononvan is simply brilliant.. He is so fast it's friggin scary.. He shot past Pope on the first goal like Eddie was stuck in cement.. The second goal was a community effort by the United defense to simply let Donovan cruise through and slot it home quite nicely...

Ryan Nelsen is our leading goal scorer with 4 games left in the season.. That ought to tell you where we stand right now..

Great win, great atmosphere......

4. Glorious Save

Glorious Save Member

Sep 6, 2001
    Washington, DC Metro Area
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rimando was the Man!

Rimando came up huge tonight - especially late in the second half. He stopped two 1v1s and made a couple of nice diving saves down the stretch! There was nothing he could have done about Donovan's two goals.

After the game, the first thing that Ray Hudson did was sprint 50 yards from the bench to the 6 yard box to give him a hug (I didn't think Ray could still run that fast).

5. vincero

vincero New Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Entertaining game.

Everybody is always on Etch for demanding the ball but when he was playing more forward that left the versatile RW as our playmaker. Essentially balls deep from the back or flank play which was off. At times kicking it back to the keeper to boot it downfield.

I hope there was a reason for taking EQ out of the game, ie fatigue, as I thought he was one of the best on the pitch. Smart runs, smart passes in the build-up, could have done better with the crosses. He may well be a viable replacement for attacking/distributing midfielder. When you need goals you take him out and leave RW out there.

Great half-time kids games. Five year olds whipping in crosses, one-time volley, etc. Boy how times have changed. No longer the mass of 20 bodies randomly kicking. At one point when the kids were leaving they were blocking Hudsons access to the bench. Hudson responded with a shoo-ing gesture. He really doesnt like the youngins.

Jair Maruffo and staff did an admirable job officiating tonight. Maybe he missed a few things both ways but overall one of the best called games I have seen in the MLS. I hope he is one of ours and keeps it up.

I know this has been discussed before,this may not be the right place for it, I may take some heat, however, to some of us the National Anthem is a little more meaningful than the Rolly-Polly. Just after seeing the new addition to the ring of stars (Heroes of 9/11) to hear the OOOO is a little disheartening. Try to show why you are the class of supporter groups.

6. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    N.N., Virginia
    How many goals does Nelsen have?

7. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just got back. NOW I remember why I go to the games.

I thought Nelson might have been offside, not that I'm complaining too loudly. :)

Great drama with Dayak and Etch. Etch played through a whistle that he couldn't hear (he was right in front of the SEs and BBs). He left the ball out there, 20 yds from the restart area. Dayak came back, got the ball, and threw it at Etch's back. So they start jawing, meanwhile, SJ put the ball back in play but DC won it. Now it goes the other way, Villegas scores, and Etch runs right to Dayak and reminds him that the worst team in the league was making the defending champs its collective bitch.

Awwwwww yeah.

RS

8. TerremotoFan

TerremotoFan New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    San Jose, Ca
    Good game guys! Looks like DC is stringing together a series of well played games.

9. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD
    Lets not get too excited about this game. It was a great win but its the first one in what twelve tries. I think I will put it into the fluke column until they demonstrate otherwise. From where I sat, DCU looked like roadkill until their second goal then they turned it up and SJ fell apart. The crowd was quiet until the third goal and then apparently decided DCU might actually win and turned up the noise.

Donovan's goals were very good. They made a joke of DCU's defense particularly Pope (how many times has he been turned and burned this year). Nice goals by Nelson and Pope but what does that say about the midgets DCU usually has in front of the goal. Rimando was outstanding in goal again. Good job by Convey and Villegas in controlling passes and finishing under pressure.

I know this is being skeptical but my hopes have been raised and then dashed too many times this year. Here is hoping that this is truely the beginning of something good but Ray still needs to do what he needs to do in the offseason.

10. Ugluk

Ugluk New Member

Nov 15, 1999
    Wow dude - way to harsh my buzz...

11. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Maybe, but I've been a pessimist for FAR too long. We schooled Donovan and his groupies, and barring a miracle, the scum are on there way to a bitch slap, Ruiz style. On to Foxboro!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Without reading any of the above posts.......GREAT VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!! I had my doubts with ITT. Let me say now that I understand WHY my man Ray has such a woodie for the guy. Great match! One that we really needed.

Nick will be playing for Arsenal.......mark my words.

13. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    My Man Ray Brings home the bacon

So....What up with all the naysayers???

VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC United - San Jose (Saturday, 8/31) postgame thread [R]

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Congratulations on the 4-2 win. :(

-G

15. eric6854

eric6854 New Member

Apr 20, 1999
    Virginia
    Re: DC United - San Jose (Saturday, 8/31) postgame thread [R]

Thank you! It wouldnt be quite as pleasing if it weren't against such a quality side.

16. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    [R] sorry.....

[R] Sorry...

17. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Satisfied with the win. After LD's 2nd we through everything into attack - Pope and Nelsen pushing forward with nothing to lose. I'm satisfied.

Anybody else think Ryan should win the MLS Defender of the Year? 4 goals and solid work in the back. Can't ask for much more out of him.

And it was the best performance by the Nest/Barra I've heard in about 2 years.

Dave

18. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

I think you answered your own question, Albert. ;) If Jaime plays like he does tonight than he stays, no question. However playing well in, what, three games in a season this year? Does not make for a maximum salary player. I still believe he's on trial in Ray's eyes and that trial will last through every game for now on. If you read [url="http://www.mlsnet.com/content/02/spot0830bradley.html']Jeff Bradley's Insider[/url] on MLSnet he goes on about if Mathis scores in each game coming up for the metros they'll go all the way. Well the same goes for Moreno too, and he's a more realistic bet IMO since he has a better midfield- if they are all healthy as you say Chris in the rest of your post.

BTW, In all the games that LD has played for the Quakes, including playoffs, when he has scored they were 14-0-0- before tonight!

19. eric6854

eric6854 New Member

Apr 20, 1999
    Virginia
    Bite me!

20. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

Big gut check next week in NE will tell us if you're right or not.

21. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Re: DC United - San Jose (Saturday, 8/31) postgame thread [R]

Good losers. Kinda hard to gloat now. Thanks alot Goodsport, ya big jerk. =)

22. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    By the way, who's going? I know I am!!!

23. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Great drumming tonight.

OK, where's sormun? Our "worst ever midfield" scored two goals themselves and had two assists as well against the best side in MLS. We dominated midfield, strung together successive passes, won the ball incessently, came from behind, and kicked San Jose's butt despite two fantastic individual performance goals by Donovan.

Our forwards STILL don't shoot enough. Kudos to Reyes for having the spirit to take some shots. Keep it up Milton, that's just what we need. Eliseo looked pretty good, but he has no speed. We need Moreno to stay higher, he has to be the one we spring for our counters because he has enough speed to get a 1v1.

Great work by Convey, Williams, Etch and Villegas. Mediocre game by Olsen really. Williams distribution was excellent, I guess he passed Ray's test. ;) Williams did his usual phenomenal job of ball winnnig in midfield. Heck, even Etch made some tackles, and was effective sometimes on defense--I was impressed.

I'm not a Villegas fan, but even I would say he was quite an Impact Sub. Wow, immediately after entering the game he changed the dynamics. He made a beautiful pass for an assist and then scored. Great job Petter.

Pope was turned by Donovan twice, and at least the first goal was his fault, but I've seen Donovan do that 1,000 times and it's no shame to be exposed like that by him. Great job as a McBride-esque distributing target forward. Any team that lets us get the corner kicks to Pope or Nelsen is just stupid. Hell, they're the only ones that can even reach the headers.

Our "Renegade Devender" Reyes dominated this game IMHO. No one on San Jose had a chance of defending him when he attacked. His defense was air-tight.

"Prince Rimando" was quite regal tonight. OK, so I made up the nickname, but dang, this guy just keeps impressing me. To me his best play of the night was when the Quakes had a 2v1 of Donovan and Grazziani against Pope and Rimando is directing Pope how to defend the two of them as they run at him. Pope prevents the pass and forces the shot as Rimando directs him, and Rimando closes down the shot angle and deflects the shot. Scary how well that was defended.

This morning we needed 8 goals to avoid taking the worst ever offense title from the Metros. Tonight we only need 4. ;)

I was happy to see Prideaux enter the game, for more reason than one.

-Tron

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: DC United - San Jose (Saturday, 8/31) postgame thread [R]

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Thanks! :)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Oh man, will the remainder of the season be one wild ride. :(

-G

25. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp :D