Official DC United vs Columbus Crew PRE Match Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 12, 2003.

1. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Thank god this game will be on TV. It will make our clinch of the playoffs much more exciting.

2. Daniel le Rouge

Daniel le Rouge New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    under a bridge
    A word on Etcheverry's situation: MLSnet hasn't kept up with the caution point totals. Etch bought yellows in consecutive games between updates. That means he went from 16 points (not worthy of a caution point warning) to 24 (automatic suspension) overnight as far as the warning list was concerned.

If you were paying attention to the stat sheet, rather than MLS' official maunderings, you would've picked up the caution point jeopardy.

============

And a word to Eismahn: save it for someone who cares. Journalism is a lot tougher than it looks, especially covering sports for a print deadline. I did it for a year, and wouldn't do it again. Ed covered this team particularly for six. He knows what he's doing.

If you're venturing an unpaid opinion--something he's willing to provide DC United because he's a fan--then your cute little rules for journalists don't apply.

3. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enough with the Piss and Vinegar....

Enough with the hot-air people. My only criticism on Ed's piece was explaining about Marco's suspension, which I might add was done better here than in his article.
    That "silly mantra" everyone refers to holds true a simple principle applied to informative writing,(namely being thorough) which by definintion, Ed's article represents, whether you choose to see it at as entertainment or opinion or whatever.

So's we're clear, I never said I disagreed with any of your opinions. All I wanted to see was a line like this...

""Even with a backup goalkeeper and a Ben Olsen and Marco Etcheverry-less midfield, "

who will miss this week's game due to suspension as a result of accumulated points.
    "
    Sunday should be the day United comes out with "bad intentions," as Hudson would put it."

You put the news out there, but left it hanging a bit so to speak. No harm done, since you were spot on, except maybe to mid-week speculators out there.

Thanks to Knave, and Daniel Le Rouge on helping to clear up, and especially JAnderson with the 4-4-2 stats. And I agree the 4-4-2 can be an effective weapon, not just limited to a bunker formation. (again, see 2-0 win at NY).

Hopefully the smoking lamp will be light come Sunday night. Undoubtably I'd love to see us quick as lightining on the pitch Sunday, surprisingly dangerous from the corners, and take this game convincingly 4-1.

4. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    formation +line-ups

With Marco down, how about this for a line-up?

----Warren-----
    Prideaux--Nelson--Petke---Namoff
    Kovalenko--Stewart--Convey--Stoichkov
    Martins--Cerritos

with Q2 sub for Stoich, change mid-4 to 3+1
    Dema
    Q2---Earnie--Convey
    or vice versa.
    Also leaves us Ivanov and Alegria for possible late defensive subs.

5. JuanMa

JuanMa Member

Jul 22, 2003
    MD
    Re: formation +line-ups

I rather see Dema in a more of an attacking role. How about this:

--Warren--
    Prideaux--Petke--Ivanov--Namoff
    Stewart--Dema--Nelsen--Convey
    Cerritos--Martins

Or put Eliseo in Stewart's position from the get go, so that Earnie can pair up front with Cerritos. That would be more aggressive, dont you think?

6. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: formation +line-ups

Only problem I see is with distribution from the middle, which arguably Stewart and/or Convey could provide. Though, I like having that 3 in the middle- Petke,Nelsen, Ivanov in almost any combination.

7. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Aaaauuuggghhh! People, people, stop enumerating the quantitiy of Gallus gallus var domesticus while they are still enclosed in oviod calcium carbonate shielding!

8. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Halftime entertainment will consist of Etch dribbling around in the box while Frankie flails at him. Performance art.

9. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    the post 2 up from this was about eggs and chickens, right?

10. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Yep. As the vulgar like to say, "Don't count your chickens before they're hatched."

11. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I thought the vulgar liked to say "****** ****** ***** ***** ****** ****** shoe!" :D

I'll believe we are in the playoffs when I am standing in 134 during the first playoff game - until then the post season was something they got rid of the same time as the shootout...

12. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Considering Marco's suspension, I think the starting X1 is pretty much set.. The only question would be who will start between Ivanov and Namoff.. My guess is Namoff considering Ivanov is on suspension notice.. If we get our desired point on Sunday, then it doesn't matter if Ivanov gets a yellow in the season closer against Kansas.. He would only have to sit out the first playoff game if he got a straight red on the 25th..

So here goes:

------------- Warren ---------------

Namoff --- Petke -- Nellie --- Prideaux

Q2 ----- Dema ----- Earnie ---- Convey

------- Thiba ------- Cerritos ----------

I would much rather see Prideaux on the left side of defense to guard against Brian West and also Prideaux is a naturally lefty and has done well of late getting involved down the wing in the offensive side of the field..

DC 2
    Col 1

13. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I like that lineup the best.

Let's release the hounds...

14. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD
    Those predicting a 4-4-2 are probably right. But Ray seems to like the 3-5-2 at home and also had success with it the last time DCU played Columbus. With that in mind and not having to worry about Etch not putting pressure on the Crew midfield I would suggest:

Warren

Petke --- Nelson --- Prideaux

Namoff --- Ivanov

Stewart --- Kovalenko --- Convey

Martins --- Cerritos

Starting to pressure the Crew at midfield instead of in the defensive third as we did in the last game should limit the service to McBride and Buddle.

15. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Petke and Dema will raise hell and we win 3-0. Hudson is so ecstatic he rushes across the pitch and kisses the entire front row of sections 134-137. :)

16. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    yeah, but will he slip in the tongue?

17. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    If it means we made the playoffs, you never know.... ;)

Be carefull which row you sit in.

18. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because most of our corners look more like pop flies than anything else. It's totally beat.

19. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
  20. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    interesting stat

Here's a qoute from that article that surprised me - do these guys just not shoot unless it's a perfect shot, or are they that good and should shoot more? :)
    tick, tock ... tick, tock ... tick, tock - you hear that Columbus, that's the time left in your season ticking down, just one day left ......

21. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I read this correctly, (right) think grumpydc ALMOST got it, with Q2 in for Ivanov no doubt a caution point precaution , again if they go ahead as proposed.

How's this :

---Warren---
    Petke-- Nelsen--Prideaux
    (P-diddy on the left? Cweed will be pleased..)
    Q2----Namoff
    Stewart---Dema---Convey
    Thiago-- Cerritos

Looks lean and mean to me.. gotta like our defensive options as well as firepower in reserve with Stoich, we should fly on the pitch. 3-1 to DC IF the cows manage to get lucky.. though with Dema, he may motivate the middle to put a 4th in ... Vamos United.

Oh, and here's a handy tip for after our victory- Listerine kills germs.

22. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    That's sort of a bizarre statistic. By its logic some defender who gets one shot on goal all year and scores a goal on that one chance would be the league leading scorer. After all, his scoring percentage would be 100%. The moral being I think you've gotta think carefully about interpreting this particular number.

I'd also submit that statistic is totally misleading about Etch because he's only scored one goal in the run of play. He's had 5 PKs though. So right now Etch has 26 shots on the year and resulting from those shots he's got 1 goal. So that's actually a shot percentage of a little less that 4% - the same as Ryan Nelsen.

The numbers are much more revealing for Dema because his goals actually result from him taking shots during the run of play. Dema's got 6 goals from 26 shots and I think we all agree he needs to shoot more.

Also, to put some perspective on this stat let's just note that our leading shot taker is Olsen at 31. Currently Razov and Twellman lead the league in shots with 111 and 90 respectively.

By the way - a technical question - do PKs count in MLS statistics as shots? I assumed they didn't when I ran these numbers.

23. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Know what, tho, I like forcing those guys into Cweed's type of formation better, somethin like this:

--warren---
    Petke--Nelly--Prideaux
    Q2---Namoff
    Dema---Earnie--Convey
    Martins--Cerritos

6 in one, 1/2 dozen the other-- a bit more confidence with Earnie pulling the strings with 4 considerable threats around him. Saw Eliseo play good defense at home vs Metros(MLS not Open)
    good option on the right for either Prideaux or Petke if they should face pressure coming upfield.

24. vivaelbolivar

vivaelbolivar New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    RFK & EL MADRIGAL
    our injury free line up should be like this:

rimando
    petke, nelsen, reyes
    olsen, convey, etch, dema, elisio
    quaranta, cerritos

once etch retires you can add namoff, ivanov, or prideax in the back and play a 4-4-2 but this is all hypothetical since we dont know who will stay or who will leave.

25. OnTheSidelines

OnTheSidelines New Member

Match Preview:

http://onthesidelines.org/united101803.htm

I think United gets their point to get in, but if either team gets an early lead, it might not be so entertaining to see that team go into a shell.