Official DC United vs Columbus Crew PRE Match Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

Would you be looking for magic dust or would you focus your energies elsewhere? Corner kicks are an obvious potential source of a few goals, and DC United's one big weakness is scoring.

So what gives? I have not seen any difference in the way corners are executed throughout this season. Everyone stands around, the kicker kicks it, and everyone tries to get a head on it. Well, that's easy to defend and it's not working.

2. sormun

sormun New Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Here is my take on this one !! Of course, this is for those interested in my opinion !! The others....
    I believe, the Crew morale is down, they are a beat up team right now. In other words, they have nothing left to lose !! Here is the danger !! Their fate is out of their hands. The DCU is exactly in the oposite position. We need a win or tie for the playoffs to avoid the last game result. Despite, the popular opinion that we are gonna score a lot of goals, the truth of the matter is that the 0-0 score is in our favor. Do you think Ray will take the chance to attack and take the risk of a Crew goal on a contra ?? I do not think so !! 0-0 is OK with Ray. Why taking chances ?? Furthermore, having such an inefficient attack it will be a pain to watch our team struggling for a goal. I believe, Ray will try to hold the midfield at all costs to keep the Crew away from our penalty area. So, the game will a boring one, whereby the Crew will attack with no chance and DCU will defend the 0-0. The end of the game will be more interesting because a fragile 0-0 can, at any given time , be changed into a disaster or a victory.

Conclusion : I think our poor strikers will drive us nuts, as usual !!! The game will end in a shamefull 0-0 draw !! Hey, it is a draw worth more than victory !! Congratulations to our coaching team for getting us into the playoffs in such a convincing manner!!! I am glad, I will be overseas and avoid the pain !!!

3. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    You had me right up until there, old reliable. I doubt that we will be as pathetic as you say. I don't care if we are a goal scoring machine, but I see us making at least one. As long as the Crew don't score one more than us, I really don't care.

As pessimistic as your post is, you're right. A tie is all we need and we may very well play for just that. If so, fine. If that's how we get in, great, we still made the playoffs. There's no shame in how we get in, just as long as we get in. With that accomplished, we can focus on other things like working on set pieces, playing rookies (like that'll happen), and playing as a team. There's a lot of positives that can come out of this match and that's all I'm looking forward to.

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I actually agree with sormun to a degree. I basically don't expect anything in this match. How can I? I don't know what the Crew is gonna do. They're unpredictable. I'm pretty sure they won't be brilliant (because they are the Crew) but I'm sure they'd love nothing better than spoiling our party. And should they hold us goalless or go up one then all of a sudden they'll think themselves back in the hunt and who knows what'll happen then. I take nothing for granted here and I anticipate the possibility of the worst.
    Since when is us scoring a lot of goals popular opinion? I've seen it suggested here but, frankly, those opinions more often than not come down to a sort of wishful thinking because they don't care to contemplate the alternative.
    I don't think that's the problem. The team basically doesn't know how to attack - at least they haven't known for the last few weeks anyway. I doubt things will change this weekend.

But I actually do think this game will be interesting. Maybe that's just my own version of wishful thinking

5. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    I think of the lack of CK goals more of as a fluke of nature rather than something actually important to talk about.

Had Ali Curtis not had a goal off a corner waved off erroneously, or had not Nelsen, Petke, Ivanov, and Quintanilla not all have CK shots cleared off the line, we'd not even be discussing this.

It's a fluke of nature, like NJ not being able to win any real Cup in 8 years of existence......OK, not a good example. Well, maybe it's more like a subtle rash. You only care about it if you look closely enough. As long as you're getting dates, who cares?

Not that I'd know anything about that of course!!!

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your lack of faith hurts me, people.
    3-0 DCU !!!!!
    Don't underestimate how bad Columbus' defense is, especially after giving up an early goal.

7. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    AMEN!

8. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, have it your way. It's not bad journalism, just bad writing. Tomato, Tomahto, Potato, .....

But doesn't any one else expect some accountability beyond what we find here on the boards on something the team's own site offers up? I would hope statements worded as fact regarding the team would retain their integrity as facts and not result in merely opinions.
    IE- if an OP/ED piece offered Ray was fired, or listed Nelly got hurt while in Iran, and ONLY THAT, what is a reader to believe?

As to our set-pieces, we know our CK situation, and think we saw the light on solving it during last league road game at NY. Why Earnie has faltered and Etch as well since then??? maybe the shoes, maybe we've been getting loaded balls ,maybe less than perfectly aerodynamic do's on our targets..

Think we need to avoid getting too creative and concentrate on each part of the friggin corner- service, execution on both positioning pre- and post-service, and volley. Thought with all of Dema's innovations during pre-season practice this would not be nearly so big a problem.
    Not sure how bad we are say at Freekicks, but I wasn't aware of any glaring deficiency there... could be wrong,though.

As to bunkering for a tie this week- I ask a very simple question. Has DC played a 4-4-2 at home in MLS play this season?

9. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    On the corner kicks - it is not a fluke! Just ask any defense what kind of corner kick they like to see - A lofted ball to the middle of the penalty box with enough hang time for either a) the keeper to get under it or b) the defense to crowd around and win the ball. What kind of corners has DC United put in most of the time...hmmm, could it be a lofted ball to the middle of the penalty box? Even on the rare occassions that a ball is driven into the box, our attackers seem to not know where the ball is going and are out of position...

As for the game, I feel that sormun is right - this will be a hard game for United. The Crew has nothing to lose and are likely to throw everything at us... For them it doesn't matter if the result is 0-0 or 0-65 - unless they win, they are out! I see them pressuring from the first minute and if they get one, they will bunker deep... "Now playing central defender for the Cowlumbus Crew - Brian McBride..."

10. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    OK, I've said it before, But ths WILL be Convey's redemtion. THIS will be the game where he proves why Tottenham looked at him in the first place. Earlier this week had some griping about him producing, but Am back in the Pro- Bobby camp. Of course have no rational proof about this one, call it a hunch, epiphany, moment of clarity, whatever. If Convey plays on the left, does anybody know who the Crew would put out there?

11. JuanMa

JuanMa Member

Jul 22, 2003
    MD
    I think this will be another "where is Convey" match. But I hope you are right.

DCU will attack and not play for the tie guys.

DCU wins a convincing 3-0, with at least 5 other clear chances missed.

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    At the same time don't underestimate how bad DC United's offense is, even when going up against a lousy defense.

13. supermanuno

supermanuno BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 27, 2003
    Woodbridge
    Lets just Crush them!

WE NEED TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS, if that involves kicking some heads in then do it, Kick some yellow panties wearing scum (not talking about the metroshits) and lets get into the playoffs once and for all!

DC-3
    Yellow Panties-1

D.C United por la sangre!

14. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So ... you would have rather I wrote ....

"Sunday should be the day United comes out flat as a pancake and gets their ass kicked."?

Perhaps you have at some point this year noticed this is an opinion piece - volunteered at that. It's not my job to figure the lineup, since I don't "cover" the team anymore, don't go to practice and don't talk to players on a regular basis as I used to. I for one am glad that part of life is history and I won't be going back to it.

But in this case, it is my opinion that United needs to come out with "bad intentions," as Ray puts it (fans know what that means if you've followed the team for any amount of time) in order to clinch a playoff spot. This has to be the attitude regardless the personnel available. As Sormun ACCURATELY posted - playing for a tie in this game is a BAD MOVE, because it can and often will end in a disaster - especially since a tie is the last thing Columbus wants. I have made that point known on this and other occasions. As Jets coach Herman Edwards once said, rather famously ... "You play to win the game. Hello!"

I don't lose any sleep if someone disagrees with my opinion, and no one should lose any sleep over my opinions. It just ain't that important. But when the MLS season ends, I'm going to be interested in reviewing all those I have expressed this year to follow up on some things, rightly and wrongly.

But never fear my friend, I have enough cigars for the both of us. In fact, if United wins Sunday, I'll be happy to share.

Ed

15. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Lets just Crush them!

And when you talk about "bad intentions," this post hits the nail on the head.

Nice.

16. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    A good omen???

I just got my new United jersey in the mail today. A good omen???

17. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Maybe this was noted earlier and I missed it but the rumor that Etch would be suspended for this match is apparently true. He hit 21 caution points with the post match yellow he got last week for dissent. I'm a bit surprised because I didn't think he was on any official warning.

Reported here:
    http://www.mlsnet.com/games/03/tracker.php?gamename=10192003_CLBDC&version=preview

Hejduk is suspended too. All in all that'll probably improve the Crew defense.

And as long as we're at it these guys are all risking suspension for the last game ... DC: Galin Ivanov (19 CP); Dema Kovalenko (19 CP); Ryan Nelsen (7 CP in 2 gms)

18. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I am not sure I agree with your first point. Hedjuk is a player who goes all out and gives his all. In Columbus he is being asked to play as a wingback and does a very good job of it. While he is not a stud defender, when he pushes up, he has to be denfended. Overall I think he brings more to the table than some of the other stiffs in yellow panties. I for one am very glad to see him out of the game, as I honestly think that it will benefit DC United tremendously, i.e. Convey should greatly benefit from this suspension and should assert himself on the left wing.

I am not worried about the other players risking a suspension. DC United needs to WIN on Sunday. They should go all out for the WIN.

And quite frankly I think Ivanov, Nelsen & Petke need to assert themselves on set pieces.

IMHO, Marco will be missed, but there are enough tough players on this team to lead DC United to the promised land...

19. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Perhaps I wasn't clear. Let me restate it.

Hejduk is suspended too. All in all that'll probably improve the Crew defense. ;) <-- note the winky-winky face this time.

20. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Gotcha!

Sorry us square type guys sometimes miss the obvious!

ps-I have got to stop drinking during the week!

21. dcuni_ted

dcuni_ted Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    playoffs here we come

DC 2 Col 0
    Kovelanko, Eski
    they better win because i've mad plans to go to the playoff game the 1st or the 8th

22. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Uh.....Ed, Section 135 Row 3 Seats 1 and 2 :D

23. one of two things happens

we get a goal early, they push forward, we get another on a counter, perhaps a 3rd, 2-1 or 3-1 win to united.

OR

we don't get a goal early, we get nervous, we get frustrated, buddle and mcbride get second half goals both against run of play.

My hunch I think we take this one somehow, someway. I can't beleive otherwise.

2-1 DC, Cerritos, Convey

24. Cristobal

Cristobal Member

Dec 1, 1999
    Falls Church
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United finally puts together a 90 minute game and stomps the Crew 3-0. Goals by Dema (Seems to score big goals for this team), Martins (Off the snide), and Cerritos (A late dagger to send everyone home very, very happy). I only wish the game were Saturday night.

25. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    Plenty of times:

vs. Columbus (June 14, 3-0)
    vs. New England (June 21, 1-1)
    vs. metrostars (July 5, 2-3 after OT)
    vs. San Jose (July 19, 1-2)
    vs. New England (August 9, 1-0)
    vs. Colorado (August 13, 1-0)
    vs. Los Angeles (September 6, 2-1)
    vs. San Jose (September 13, 2-1)
    vs. metrostars (September 28, 1-1)

I checked MLSnet for this info. Our record playing a 442 at home (which, by the way, does not constitute bunkering at all) is 5 wins, 2 draws, and 2 losses.

The news that Hejduk is out is great for us. Columbus can get away with Ross Paule as a "right" midfielder only with Hejduk's overlapping. Now, Paule will have to actually play as a true right midfielder rather than pinching in, and that isn't his strong suit at all. Judging from their previous play, I would look for Akwari or McCarty to fill in for him, and neither one is going to come forward with the ball. What this may lead to is Columbus playing West on the right and Martino on the left (they've done this before), with Paule and Maisonneuve in the middle. That's a weaker set up than their usual one in midfield.

With Etcheverry out, it raises some interesting questions on how we'll line up. Do we play Stewart and Convey on the wings with Kovalenko and Alegria in the middle? Do we just insert Quintanilla in Etch's usual spot? Or, as I think is most likely, will we play Quintanilla-Kovalenko-Stewart-Convey? Lots of possibilities there.