Official DC United vs Columbus Crew PRE Match Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deferring on the side of caution and better information, I'll withhold goal predictions til we get a word or two about practice this week, and instead focus on what seems to be the hot topic thus far- how do we squeeze offense from our line-up? And definitely a good idea to avoid looking to far down the road for the team's sake- much better right now 1 game at a time.
    To answer the scoring question, first we must have a line-up, and decide on formation. Don't think Ray will resort to the Etch-less 4-4-2 we saw at NY, given Etch plays at home, so it's the safe bet we'll see Etch either in 3-5-2 or maybe even a 4-5-1 with Martins,Cerritos or even Stoich up top.So- given the format- who do we plug in? My one hope is that Earnie renews his efforts this week taking corners getting back to what we saw in NY, and takes back the role from Marco. With Nelson and Petke finally reunited at the back, on the pitch hopefully with Martins, we should be able to fly on set-pieces IF we can get it together this week.I love having both Earnie and Marco standing over Freekicks though from 30-40 yards out.
    Though not nearly a probability, much less a possibility, how great to go 3-0 and get Petke, Nelson, Martins each off a corner/set-piece?

I can dream, can't I? oh, never mind that green smoke from behind the curtain....

2. joshdcu

joshdcu New Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Throwing caution to the wind, I predict a full-on goalfest on Sunday. 1-0 United (ok, maybe not a goalfest, but it's all relative, right?).

3. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Uh, no.

He's been arguably our most dangerous foward of late.

4. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    alright, but I started posting about the time that Convey came back, and he was supposed to be dangerous too. And can't you just here the waiter, "Bitter, party of 1?" The goaless stretch (other than PK's) has me bent outta shape. Apologies all over the place.

5. lkeniston

lkeniston Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Richmond, Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In like Flynn, 3-1 DC

Dema * 2, and a header in from Petke off a Stewart corner

6. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    We have taken 164 corners in MLS League play and scored (wait for it) 0 goals from said corners.

Since DC United has scored twice from corners in US Open Cup play, I guess it is theoretical that the team could score from a corner against the Crew.

I guess the team really is trying to make a record that NO ONE in MLS will EVER take... :(

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    That's more corner kicks, by the way, than any other MLS team. It really is shameful that we've yet to score off even one in league play.

8. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    I said it before and I'll say it again, the stat is pathetic. I mean just by sheer dumb *#*#*#*#ing luck and/or Acts of God one should've gone in. Though after watching the hopeless execution of said set piece during the Revs match, I guess I'm really not that shocked.

9. Renegade

Renegade New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    VA
    Does anyone know the percentage of goals scored on corners in the league this season? I would like to know how we are doing in comparison to the over teams.

10. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Renegade,

I'd say we are a lock for last place and way behind every other team in the league!

11. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we are the burn of set peices and corners.

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    That's an insult to the Burn.

13. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several of us noted that corner kicks were a particular problem for DC United earlier in the season. I started a thread about this (https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58952) I was looking for ideas for how DC United could get some goals. For a team that scores as rarely as DC, it seems to be an obvious chance to grab a few goals by improving this one opportunity that DC gets more than anyone.

14. scruggs45

scruggs45 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    kp, va
    i believe somebody posted that marco would shank a pk...well you see marco actually makes them...you must be thinking of moreno from last year

15. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I said that.

I'm not Marco bashing, but everyone misses a PK sometime.

16. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Just look at it this way. If we had scored on only 5% of our corners this year, we'd have 8 more goals on the year. In other words, an extra goal every 3 games or so.

17. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    It's not a dive when Paule falls into him and Hejduk makes a stupid mistake by taking out his ankles when he doesn't have the ball. True, Etch played the ball into a place he had no chance getting it. Doesn't matter though, because Hejduk lunged in and fouled him.

I don't understand how we can be this bad at set pieces. Nelsen, Petke, Ivanov, and now Martins, and we can't even just bundle something awful in? Hell, if you hit 160-some corners into the box with just Nelsen there against a full team of defenders, he'd eventually get one.

I have had a long-standing hatred of the short corner, but really...at least we'd keep the ball doing that. Our normal corner is just a ball to the keeper, or cleared with ease by a defender. Occasionally we throw in the ball that lands completely on the other side of the box. I can't even believe I'm saying this, but it's better than what we have going on.

We need to start aggressively against Columbus, and isolate their defenders. Not just for the fact that, individually, none of them are particularly strong, but also to force Hejduk to stay home. If we let him come up the line, we could be overrun in midfield. I think the quicker play up front when we use Cerritos and Stewart will be key there. We can bring Martins on depending on the circumstances, but I think our best bet is Cerritos with Stewart.

I wonder about the lineup. Playing a 352 means that Convey will be put under a lot of pressure with fairly little assistance. I'd rather see a 442:

--------- Cerritos - Stewart
    ------------- Etcheverry
    Convey -- Kovalenko -- Quintanilla
    Prideaux - Petke - Nelsen - Namoff
    ------------ Warren

Stoichkov for Etcheverry at 60 minutes. When we make that sub, move Convey to central midfield alongside Kovalenko and let Stoitchkov be a left winger, since that's where he always ends up. Stewart can come back and help with his defensive duties.

18. cherno

cherno New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    Ed Morgan's latest article is up at dcunited.com;

http://dcunited.com/index.cfm?section=main&cont_id=209415

Here's a quote from the article:

"Even with a backup goalkeeper and a Ben Olsen and Marco Etcheverry-less midfield, Sunday should be the day United comes out with "bad intentions," as Hudson would put it."

Is it true that our midfield will be Marco-less on Sunday? If so, why?

Cherno

19. sckrmom

sckrmom New Member

Jul 17, 2003
    Gainesville, VA
    U23s in Florida

For those of you who were still wondering about which players were called up for the friendly:

1. U.S. SOCCER: Myernick calls up 18 players for U.S.-Haiti U-23 friendly

U.S. under-23 coach Glenn Myernick called up 18 players -- 16 from
    MLS and one each from the A-League and college ranks -- for the
    friendly against Haiti Wednesday in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.

The game is a tuneup for the second-round series in Olympic
    qualifying Nov. 15 and Nov. 19 against St. Kitts & Nevis.

Missing are U-23 candidates from the Chicago Fire and MetroStars, who
    meet Wednesday in the U.S. Open Cup final at Giants Stadium.

Haiti clinched a spot in the second round of qualifying in the
    CONCACAF region with a 1-0 victory the Dominican Republic Sunday at
    Miami's Orange Bowl.

U.S. U-23 ROSTER:

Goalkeepers -- D. J. Countess (Dallas Burn), Josh Saunders (San Jose
    Earthquakes). Defenders -- Nelson Akwari (Columbus Crew), Nat
    Borchers (Colorado Rapids), Ricky Lewis (Los Angeles Galaxy), David
    Stokes (D.C. United), Chris Wingert (St. John's Univ.). Midfielders
    -- Kyle Beckerman (Colorado Rapids), Brian Carroll (D.C. United),
    Kyle Martino (Columbus Crew), Jordan Stone (Dallas Burn), David Testo
    (Richmond Kickers), Seth Trembly M Colorado Rapids). Forwards --
    Edson Buddle (Columbus Crew), Landon Donovan (San Jose Earthquakes),
    Alecko Eskandarian (D.C. United), Eddie Johnson (Dallas Burn), Casey
    Schmidt (Colorado Rapids).

They should all be back Thursday.

20. JuanMa

JuanMa Member

Jul 22, 2003
    MD
    No idea... Was he close to sitting out due to disciplinary points? I dont think so.

21. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    I didn't see it but heard that he made something of a scene after the pk at new england. Would that have anything to do w/ marco-less midfield?

22. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Said I was gonna wait for practice info before speculating on a line-up or formation- no cigar for Ed Morgan as his statement fails the journalistic 6 point mantra that we see too often disregarded or at least fall short of these days.(Who,What, Where, When, Why and How). Backup we figure Warren, Olsen's injury- ok, so how'd we get Etch-less, given we play aggressive 3-5-2's for the majority at home? Oh, yeah, and Etch starts nearly every game this year at home, except for the blip in turning over the captaincy to Nelly? Gimme a break already. If you're gonna tell us something, for the Soccer God's sake- tell us something!!!

As to set-pieces, said before I hope Earnie bears down and shows us improvement of his corners from NY, and our MLS O-fer should be a thing of the past. His corners of late, as Etch's all season have a habit of floating, giving the defenders a chance to break up any attempted volley. In NY, we saw Earnie drive balls that defenders had less time to react to. And - come to think of it, Olsen's rebound of Petke's volley that game- his goal doesn't count in the set-piece column?

23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't journalism,, it is a story on a team website ....... there are no editorial or journalistic constraints on any internet stories you read.
    That being said, it sure would be nice to see why he feels that way. Ed, Steven Goff, and Diceson peruse these threads from time to time, maybe they'll expound on it.
    I was watching during the NE game and saw one corner that went into the box to find ... one DCU player and 5 NE players within 12 yards of the goal - I know why we didn't score on that particular set piece.
    Since Petke's header rebounded off the crossbar/post, the next touch is considered to be "unassisted" - one of the weirdest/stupidest things I see in stat generation. I guess it doesn't count as a shot on goal either, also silly. Near as I can tell, if it doesn't go into the net or isn't caught by the goalie, it isn't a shot on goal. Personallly, if it misses by less than a foot or hits the wood (fiberglass?) I would consider it a shot on goal, but that's just me.
    The sunrise this morning was beautiful, it was reflecting a deep, dark red off of big black clouds - I figured the black and red had to be a good omen for the game this weekend - I can therefor promise a victory ;-)

24. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I predict this game could very well finish off whatever interest I have left in this season--which, thankfully, is almost over.

I hope to be proven wrong, and it would be nice to see DCU win it. As long as SOMEBODY scores, I'll be happy. As for seeing a great game, well, I'm not going to get my hopes up.

25. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh damn sorry to any burn fans who read this.