Official DC United vs Columbus Crew PRE Match Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 12, 2003.

1. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I do not believe this is correct. The stated scenario gives both dc and ny 44 pts at season's end, so we'd be the 3rd seed based on head-to-head record this year.

2. sckrmom

sckrmom New Member

Jul 17, 2003
    Gainesville, VA
    U23 Camp

Three players depart for duty with U-23s at inopportune time
    The Crew will be missing three young players most of next week as it prepares for a critical game at D.C. on Oct. 19.

That’s the way it is when a club has players in the national team pool. Defender Nelson Akwari, forward Edson Buddle and midfielder Kyle Martino left Chicago today for Fort Lauderdale, Fla., to train with the Under-23 team and possibly play an exhibition against Haiti on Wednesday."

Presume they'll all be in DC on Sunday.

No DC players in U-23 camp, right?

Doug Warren, Brian Carroll, David Stokes and Devin Barclay are all part of the U23 squad. I know Carroll is there, not sure about the others. They'll be back Thursday though and will be available for the game on Saturday.
    The team has played in several games this year - you can check out the roster and team stats at:

www.ussoccer.com click on "youth teams" and U23.

Last trip -

"Midfielder Brian Carroll and forward David Testo also notched a pair of goals on the trip."

3. Postmaster

Postmaster Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Poolesville, MD USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: U23 Camp

Thanks.

So are Convey and Eskandarian. Barclay's injury would still keep him out, I presume.

I was trying to find out who was actually called in to this camp for the Hati friendly, just to see who was away this week. USSF doesn't seem to have the customary list and there's no article at DCUnited. The thread on the youth board lists no DC players, but is clearly incomplete.

sckrmom: How did you learn that Carroll is at the U-23 camp?

4. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Better to be the last team in than the first team out.

5. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    or the last team out, for that matter.

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand corrected - If NE wins one and ties the other with the 'scum - and we win both THEN wwe end up in second place. Our most likely placing is either 3rd or 4th, but we have a legit shot at 2nd and 5th too ;-) what fun is parody, um, I mean parity :)

7. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Loving the Sunday afternoon factor of me now not being able to go.

Oh well.

1-1 and we're in, however ugly it is. Marco shanks a PK early but Convey gets a late goal to equalize a McBride header from just before halftime.

8. JuanMa

JuanMa Member

Jul 22, 2003
    MD
    DCUnited scores 1.3 goals as an average when playing at home, so it is not crazy to think we can score 2 or 3 against the CREW on Sunday. Particularly considering the opponent and the fact that we have several games where we have scored 3 goals. One against the CREW...

Prediction:
    DCU 3 CBUS 0
    scorers: El Diablo (Not PK), Stewart (header) and Martins (lucky rebound)

DCU can still end up in 2nd place, but I think we will finish 3rd -NOT 4th-

9. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Yes, the 1 NE win and a tie by them against NY, and 2 wins by DC is the best possible fantasy scenario for the remainder of the season.

Then NY would finish 4th, and they'd play CHI. In a perfect world we'd take care of 3rd seed NE, and NY would upset CHI in the first round of the playoffs, and the Eastern final would be at RFK, and the metrodonkeys would get destroyed.

However, it is more likely that DC will finish 3rd or 4th (assuming they can get 1 point in their final 2 games) and will have to go on the road to CHI in the post-season, and that will not be an easy task.

But for now let's focus on beating CLB (3-1 is my prediction) and then take care of KC so we can head into the playoffs with some real confidence, no matter who and where we play.

10. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i guess i should have said *#*#*#*#ing scum to distingush from the ordinary scum that is the crew.

11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to keep harping on the negative, but has anyone here realized how different our season would be if there were no OT??? We are basically a -4 in relation to points because of OT. The 2 teams directly in front of us (Revs, Metro) are each around a +4 or +6. We'd be cruising in 2nd place if we could have just held our ground in OT. Should I be blaming Ray Hudson for this? My gut instinct is that he's responsible for so many late game and OT meltdowns .........

12. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The voice of experience talking? ;) :D

13. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *#*#*#*# it. 2-1 DC

15. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Indeed. :)

17. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    now that we're in 4th place, is it better that we stay there and not 3rd or 2nd? I only say this because I think we match up better against Chicago than we do either the Rev's or MetroStars.

While I would love for United to knock the MetroStars out of the playoffs, I'm unsure whether this team can do that... at least, not in two games. We just can't play a full 90 minutes of solid football. If we do go 90 minutes, then we seem to lose it in injury time.

Of course, the most important thing for us to do is to make it into the playoffs. If we miss the playoffs this year, I wouldn't be surprised if we see some changes in the off-season, no matter how much better we faired in '03.

18. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think the home-cooking comes through for the good guys on Sunday.

2-1 United.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to see the final two regular season matches as I am headed to Italy for a nice vacation. It is up to you folks to lift the boys up and on to victory so that I have playoff matches to attend upon my return. I will attempt to take in a match somewhere in Italy and make the appropriate pagan sacrifice.

Forza United!

p.s. I got some tips from the Chris Albright look alike that swiped that Cow-fan's girlfriend when she was in Italy. Some of his snapshots follow:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should that have gone in the rivalry forum?

20. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm

Now, as for Cowshed Scum....

THAT'S creative.

21. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm

My club's side isn't good enough to have reached *#*#*#*#ing scum status.

22. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    And this has happened how many times this year? We are 0-fer on corners this season, we aren't going to score on one.

As for our U-23's that will be gone. Except for Warren does it really matter if they come back or not. They haven't played recently and Carroll and Stokes aren't going to play anyway.

If it wasn't for the fact the Crew are so bad I would say they will win. I think we squeak out a tie to get into the playoffs, but we will go out in the first round.

23. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    well we have scored off of corners twice in the open cup, including a beauty against the Scum in the semi.

24. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    The Open Cup don't mean jack towards the regular season. I know that you're trying to say we are totally inept on corners, but we are. Even with scoring 2 out of how many chances? I think the count has to be over 100 hundred, that's a pretty dismal percentage.

25. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    What happened to Dema? Haven't heard a peep from him since the LA game, the home la game. Thought he would be the guy to really step it up.... or Thiago? Fell for the hype that he was supposed to be bad-ass, was I duped?