Official DC United vs Columbus Crew PRE Match Thread & PBP Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 2, 2003.

1. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    DC's on CSN this Saturday, right?

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Yes

3. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    The lads REALLY need to "cowboy up" for this one.
    As Barbdett says, Cowlumbus hasnt been that kind to us.
    Prideaux needs to keep his card status in mind, but still deliver at his workman-like level.
    Etch out, Ernie in the Middle, Cerritos and Martins up top.
    They are gonna have a task ahead, but I think they can rise to it.
    United 2
    Cowcrew 1

Mark

4. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I hope DC United's defense can tighten up a bit.

I was surprised by the 3 goals given up to the Metrostars, as the Metrostars are not exactly known as an offensive powerhouse (especially considering that Cowboy was out).

5. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hate to pull a "sormun" on this one, but I really have a hard time seeing how we can pull this game out. Our defense will be shaky at best w/o Petke, and a United midfield w/o Dema and Ben, plus with Convey (who has been horrid of late) doesn't inspire much confidence.

Columbus wins 2-0, getting one early and one late as we push forward.

RS

6. dcuni_ted

dcuni_ted Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that loss to the mutt sucked but its time for dc to foucus on the mls playoffs. lets kick sme crew butt.

7. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    I think Martins and Cerritos will start up top again with Stewart at A-mid since that seems to be an effective combo. Also, the defense will need to really watch the cards as previously stated. Whos the ref? Card-happy I wonder?

8. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    From MLSNet.com:

REFEREE: Ricardo Valenzuela.
    Games involving Crew: P5 W2 L3 T0; FC/gm: 34.0; Y/gm: 6.0; R: 1; pens: 2
    Games involving United: P10 W2 L7 T1; FC/gm: 35.1; Y/gm: 4.8; R: 0; pens: 6

This year he's only done one United game: the scoreless tie against Chicago. Three yellows total in the game: Petke, Etch and Logan Pause.

9. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what's left in the tank?

After spending time first considering our roster's playing out come Saturday with injuries, suspensions, and our team's play the last week, can anyone out there argue either way if Ray decides to go with new talent, or stick with the vets? Stretching a bit of optimism, hope some on the team are able to show Ray & Co something in practice that we've yet to see on the field. Would be great to spring some new effective combos on the field to inspire us all, subs or otherwise.

For myself, however, I'd prefer to deal with the relative known- and given that relative info:availability and perceived ability-and most importantly the need to set us up in the driver's seat playoff-wise with respect to the bottom 3 teams in our division, we are desperate for either a win or a tie come Saturday. If we play to tie, we'll absolutely definitely need to finish the Crew off with a win at home. Having accomplished that should allow the team much needed time to re-focus and center on the playoffs.

As for Saturday's lineup -
    ----Warren----
    Prideaux--Ivanov--Nelson--Namoff
    Q2----Stewart---Convey---Stoichkov
    Cerritos---Martins

subs- Esky,Etch,Alegria,Stokes,Geddes

Given we're a bit top heavy as far as depth at the moment,and the card issues at the back,I'd look for us to be much more demanding of our mid-field thru practice, with a premium on possession, and wouldn't be surprised to see a forward or two pressed into any of 3 formations spending time on either mid-field wing.

We've all enjoyed the good looking counters especially where Prideaux,Ivanov and even Namoff a time or two are supporting the attack.(ah, if only Reyes...) I'd say we should look to elliminate any more than token help this match. Too much at stake not just this game, but immediately after to afford a ref chances on the offensive as well to book our much needed stalwart defenders, to the last.
    And whatsmore, instead of this formation playing the trap-counter, installing a more possesive minded set might be the way to go.
    If we have both Earnie and Bobby available to transition from backline to midfield, and with either wing having decent holding ability, hopefully we wont miss Dema-Petke too much.Not sure that Q2 is the other best answer there, but if he's not, ..and no other mid/forward shows what we need, no matter if we insert a d-minded mid or not, the attack is gonna fall heavily on our a-mid's shoulders.(BTW- have we seen Earnie and Etch share the midfield yet this year?)
    This is where Etch,(betting we see hom either start or more likely a sub) Stewart and Stoichkov should really step up with their ball handling, and show us all why they are regarded by some (myself included)as highly as they are. Golden opportunity as well for Q2 to pick up where he left off before his suspension as well, seems we're still waiting....

I wouldn't be one to bet that these same 3 vets' competitive fires are any dimmer either, having lost the opportunity to put NY away on both MLS and USOC fronts(especially Etch) the past week.

That being said, wouldn't be at all surprised to see an inspired effort, especially from the defense, if allowed to focus, completely frustrate Columbus.These guys have been doing a great job collectively all season long, especially given their ups and downs.I think it's reasonable to expect the glue there to hold. A lot to hope for, but think we'll come out ahead 3-1, maybe even 3-0. After all, 3-0's have been the trend thus far, no?

Many have wished for it, thought about it, some so far as to even have said it. The Glory Days have been around the corner now for 3 years- We have a great team effort so far this year, NOW'S the time to bring it home- LET THE GLORY DAYS BEGIN!!!! VAMOS UNITED!!!

10. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-1 crew
    goals from mcbride, and someone else gets 2.
    for dc we have ronald with the goal

11. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I think we can pull this one out. Clumbus may be on a resurgence, but they still have to have doubts about their team. I hope that we gain a lead, keep it, and then put Stokes in for playing time in a (semi) important game. We really need to get at least one of the rookies in that type of situation, so we can use them later on. Stokes sounds like the most likely candidate to step up to that position. We either start now (which we really should have done sooner) or we kick ourselves in the ass later on in the playoffs.

12. sormun

sormun New Member

Jul 13, 1999

13. ballboy101

ballboy101 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    USA
    From what I have heard Warren is apparently going to miss the game as well - Ray is calling in another keeper (Bomstark sp?).

14. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Why would Warren miss this game?!?

I would be absolutely thrilled with a tie from this match.

15. I would also be thrilled with a tie from this game.

I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about it and a tie would do us no harm at all.

-The Far Side

16. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    According to the match report on dcunited.com, here's the projected lineup:

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

D.C. United: Doug Warren; Brandon Prideaux, Ryan Nelsen, David Stokes, Galin Ivanov; Bobby Convey, Eliseo Quintanilla, Bryan Namoff, Earnie Stewart; Ronald Cerritos, Thiago Martins.

Very interesting. No Etch. No blow-up doll.

On the otherhand, according to "Trask's Tasks" in the same article, Etch is going to be key to the game.

I guess he's got some special job to do on the bench.....

;)
    oh and I guess this is the biggest game of Stokes' life....

17. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    First, I like the projected lineup a lot. Given a depleted bench, it's a lineup with a lot of energy and young legs (even Earnie). Also, it's a team that can counter well with Earnie in A-mid. And with a decent target man (Thiago Martins), an outlet to release the ball to as Columbus attacks with a gusto (the desire to get 3 points and also being at home). I like the idea of Namoff at D-mid, it's about time he got a serious shot at that role (and might even set himself up well for next year since Dema really isn't a D-mid). As for Stokes--against Buddle and McBride, we can use all the height we have, even if it's still pretty raw.

Second, as others have said, I also like Stoichkov as a late game burst of energy and difference maker out there. He could be a good sub for Thiago--it would be such a dramatic change in style.

But we've got to prevent Columbus from getting an early lead. The team's got to play hard and smart and sharp early. I"m sure we'll have to weather an early storm.

18. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    I would like to be the anti-sormun, and gripe about all the doom and gloom I've read thus far and be chronically upbeat and hopeful when it comes to the beloved United... But WOW, we are really missing alot of guys. Am I really joining the nay sayers? Do I agree that the team is dead in the water and am I actually hopeing for a tie?

no. But I don't have the confidence to make a prediction that somebody will step it up and have a phenominal game and almost single handedly pull us through a very tough situation (Bobby, PLEASE step it up....)

19. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Finally.

sormun=Rush

20. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I like this lineup too; about the best we can do, given the circumstances. But how often have these projected lineups been wrong?

21. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nelsen and Prideaux can mark McBride and Buddle effectively, namoff will have his hands full trying to stay with Martino that will be one of the keys to the game. I'm not too worried about Columbus on the wings, Frankie's crosses never put much fear into their opponents. Shut down the middle of the pitch and we have a chance.

22. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I think Stokes has played in a big game or two in his life, oddly enough at this stadium.

I don't know why but I'm really not worried about him.

23. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Namhoff is going to have to be a rock in the middle.

Could we see Both Stoichkov and Etch off the bench?

24. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just curious, how has Stokes, being a UNC guy from Dumfries, played in Cumblowus stadium?

25. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina

The NCAA Final Four was played in Crew Stadium.