Official DC United vs Columbus Crew POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Arrrgghhh! This team kills me. How I hate overtimes. Petke is still my favorite wanker!

Guess I will be cheering for Chicago next sunday, as no way is United going to get in by themselves.

-The Far Side

2. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had a hand pointing at the spot (or the ground in general) and one kind of pointing in the air. I said in the nest that he called a PK, but other people didn't agree because his signal was so confusing.

What was funnier was the two or three second delay before giving us the free kick a few minutes later.

He sucked, but we matched his suckitude.

We simply are afraid to play offensively. Stealing a line from someone in the nest, Ray wants us to look like Millwall-Sheffield United in 1982, launching long ball after long ball. He and Trask have made a group of professionals afraid to attack and run at the defense.

They stand still and wait for someone else to make the play because making a run is useless when the entire strategy is predicated upon kicking the ball 30 yards ahead.

Ray and John may be nice guys. I wish them the best, but if we had so much growth from last year, we wouldn't be puckering in the last few matches, praying to God we make the playoffs.

Bitch all you want about overtime, but complaining about something that affects both teams in the same way shows nothing but an inability to face the truth. We're a mediocre team with mediocre coaches.

3. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    United wins cups. Snyder wears them. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

4. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA

Naaah.

----Adu-----------Stewart

-----------Olsen
    --Convey-----------Kovalenko
    ------------Ivanov

Prideaux--Reyes---Petke----Nelen

----------Rimando

5. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It was a good play on the part of West. It however is not a PK call. West is being rewarded for "selling the call", as Hristo did, by pushing a unplayable ball into space and accepting the contact from Warren. West is being rewarded for essentally losing the ball.

A ref who understands how to manage a game does not call it, but this clown does.

Warrren said nothing. Personally Warren has to accept 60% of the blame for the goal, bad communication. Petke has to accept 40% of the blame for making a blind header into his own goal mouth with a rookie keeper in nets.

Welcome.

Agreed both PK's were poor calls from a man who does not know how to recognize a legit tackle, Prideux got all ball on the one in the second half, and a illegal tackle, Dema got crushed.

As I said above Petke has to accept a protion of the blame for a blind header into his own goal mouth with a rookie keeper in nets.

Missing both Etch and Stweart killed the central midfield today. Cerritos is a forward not a A-Mid.

Warren was also playing like a deer caught in the headlights.

Breathe in through the nose.....................................out through the mouth................................deep breaths...........................................................there now is that better? ;)

Please quote chapter and verse where in the laws of the game that it states that.

1. Yes
    2. No he retires based on health and other issues
    3. Yes, but I am a optimistic Red Sox fan so don't believe a word i say
    4. 11,000

Players were moving early in the match but when ball were not played into space that pathetic parallel passing game showed up again. Appoligies to Budweiser Etch was sitting up section 503 in the upper deck so maybe the parallel passing game is not all his fault after all.

Esky was brought in for a cramping Matrins. As someone who is older, as supposedly more mature the olny other option there would be Santinobut that is a difernet can of worms there.

And I don't understand that mental block from a team that score plenty of goals in the last 15 minutes of matches.

- Hristo's dive looked bad from the far end so it had to be terrible

- again the midfield had too much parallel passing

- Convey's first touch was fine it was the lack of servcie on 1-2 passes from Cerritos that hampered him more. Twice Convey setup pretty 1-2 balls that Cerritos held onto and then sent balls to the other side of the field for Quintanilla to give away

- No it was not a legit PK as all it does it reward West for losing the ball on purpose

- Congrats on your personal win, I know how you feel as the only bright spot to my weekend was my teams 2-1 win the the Columbia League

- I agree about Esky and maybe Barclay being off P-40 next year

- I don't think that Tino is still a P-40

- Olsen likely resigned for stablity and not a signifcant raise, based on his injury woes of late. Dema likey got a raise but not huge one IMHO

6. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Right, and those 13 ties would have had nothing to do with it. We drop just as many points on ties.

7. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    On the Walsh tackle on Dema, it happened right in front of me and it wasn't a red card. It wasn't from behind it was to some degree from the side. Yeah he came in hard but it wasn't out of the ordinary or excessive. A yellow card was deserved which is what he got. A red would have been a very harsh decision.

C-bus PK was a joke. It was a 50-50 ball and West barely gets there first, Warren can't miraculously stop his forward momentum and they collide, no foul just 2 guys trying to get to the ball.

As soon as Alegria appeared as a sub I knew we were doomed to lose.

I don't care if Ray quits or is fired, as long as he is gone is all that matters.

A friend of mine repeated his conspiracy theories about the league not wanting DCU to be in the play-offs, after this game I might start subscribing to his newsletter.

8. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll claim that quote. And I'll stand by it. A really lousy ref but on reflection we did nothing to deserve a result except Petke willing us into the tying header.

9. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas vs KC

Referee: Ricardo Valenzuela Referee's Assistants: -Chris Strickland; Richard Eddy 4th Official: Ali Saheli

New England vs Metrostars

Referee: Alex Prus Referee's Assistants: -Chip Reed; Bahij Salman 4th Official: Jorge De la Bandera

San Jose vs LA

Referee: Michael Kennedy Referee's Assistants: -Nathan Clement; Steven Taylor 4th Official: Ramon Hernandez

Chicago vs Colorado

Referee: Noel Kenny Referee's Assistants: -Robert Fereday; Kermit Quisenberry 4th Official: Ricardo Salazar

DC vs Columbus

Referee: Abiodun Okulaja Referee's Assistants: -Thomas Supple; Gibby Widner 4th Official: Erich Simmons

Based on this list there were not a lot of options as far as better choices in the middle this weekend. I really hate to say this but where was Brian Hall?

10. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    W/ all these posts, will anyone read this? Anyway yes, truly disappointed. Also had a house full of non-soccer fans, and when Petke scored everybody just went nuts. Killians spilled everywhere, and to lose it at the end made me want to throwup. Great we got Adu... but next season? You guys are really giving up? Not me brother. I am making the trek from Hickville to DC, next week and I'm gonna wear my jersey and I'm gonna drink and I'm gonna yell my fool head off because after 3 years of poop, the plyoffs seem like a victory. Bitter yes, give up, NO! And you guys know I am a huge fan of Bob-o, but dude! He streaks down the field makes a nifty move and MISSES EVERYTHING! TWICE! And the run by Martins. WOW! Why didn't they call anything? THEY RIPPED A CHUNK OUT OF HIS SHIRT! The Man is like Conan (barbarian, not host) Hate to coulda, woulda, shoulda, but they could have easily taken this game. Bad Karma, bad luck, back voodoo, whatever there is the potential even w/ all the injuries to go beyond "Not Suck" and shock a few people in Nov. If we can get there...

11. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Fixed your post :(

To me it looked like Chino was shooting the ball and not passing it. Hristo stopped short and was clubbed in the back of the head, this just after abusing another ball girl for not giving the ball to the opposing team, while the ball in play is laying about 6 feet from the players. And did anyone notice him almost bust a vein during the Warren penalty call? He almost hit the 4th official. What a class guy. Got another useless card, too.

Thx,

Jay!

12. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Like Bobby Convey?

Thx,

Jay!

13. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    Silver Lining

I'm glad I didn't start the "Things To Do In Columbus Now That The Crew Are Out Of The Playoffs" thread in Rivalries like I was going to last Friday.

See you all Saturday.

14. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how was the crowd on TV?

did anyone at the game like the flag we got into the stadium in LaNorte?

:D

15. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    EXACTLY! If you were playing for the draw--or at least, playing cautiously against an opposition that must win--why do you start Stoichkov and put Cerritos in the middle like that? Stoichkov played better in the second half, but Cerritos was invisible and Martins was all alone up front--he did all right (if you rip half a guys shirt off, it's a yellow card, mate). And Dema is not a defensive mid, so it's shame to see him there. I thought Alegria played really well holding the middle against Crew last time, but if you don't like him, then Ray should have used Namoff. Quintanilla didn't impress me either this game. I was so excited when Petke scored, that was great--but then I realized there was stupid OT to play. Anyway, better luck next week. KC aren't that good.

16. sckrmom

sckrmom New Member

Jul 17, 2003
    Gainesville, VA
    "Martins will be our target forward. "

If Martins is the best you think we have, we are in serious trouble. He has size, and that's about it. I didn't see on good play from him yesterday other than the shirt getting ripped off his back!!! He didn't win a SINGLE ball in the air, and that total FUP in front of the net was ridiculous. Stoichkov sent him the perfect ball to head in and he tries to trap it and shoot from 2 feet outside the goal?

it's like a train wreck - I can't stop reading. Luckily my boss is not here today!!!

Oh, and Ray Hudson is soooooo outtahere.

17. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    The referee correctly played the advantage as Martins got through the challenge and went to goal. Before the ensuing corner (the next stoppage) he issued a yellow card to the offending player (Williams?).

18. barberm

barberm New Member

Oct 20, 2003
    Washington DC
    Dc v Crew

I was devastated yesterday but we will make it next Saturday! Got to give the Crew credit tho, they came ready to play.

19. Aaron Stollar

Aaron Stollar Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Falls Church, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A complete disaster.... Sorry Ray... It's time... you're a great guy but you don't lose to Columbus like that at home... I have watched Columbus (2003 Motto: "Refuse to Win") all season... I have seen their repeated late game collapses and their coach mutter the same excuses time and again. And for us to do a Crew and roll over and die like that at home is not acceptable... Ray and Trask must go... and they must go soon because we cannot waste yet another draft.

20. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Man, I'm not trying to be a pony-boy for Ray and he might be on his way out, but did coaching make Bobby miss, twice, really bad? Remembering one sequence, alot of passes, Hristro fairly open, and BOOM, into about the 3rd row, way over the bar. And Warren madde some rookie mistakes, but who else do we put back there, Baumstark, or whatever his name is? I might not be a soccer guru, but if all soccer was like this game as so far as being won or lost on basically the last play, we would be like the NF what? Once again, it was there for the taking. But you can only pile so much failure on a team, (unless it's the Burn) without them fighting back, and they were totally desperate, and most of these post's center on how much we suck, which I don't think we do, not severley anyway. In WV lingo, "Someitmes you get the ba'r, and sometimes the ba'r gets you"

21. dcuinvermont

dcuinvermont Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Burlington VT
    DC as a woman

I've often thought of being a DC fan as being in a relationship. There was the period of initial dislike in 96, before the attraction became overwhelming. 97 was a year of courtship, with lots of wonderful, hot evenings under the lights. The next 2 years were beautiful times, wonderful trips and exciting accomplishments. And even though 200-2001 were painful it seems like things were turning around with the addition of a new couples counselor, and we had still had a few enjoyable moments together and the feeling of a real future.

This year things seem to be really improving, until last night, coming home and seeing her being tag teamed by Billy and Benny McGuire (the world's fattest twins), and after all the times in the last month seeing her with those NY crackheads it's become too much. It's time to leave this whore.
    Well......... maybe just one more date this weekend.

22. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    That is genius.

23. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Goal Diff

Sorry, but head to head is a MUCH better way of doing it. A win is three points, doesn't matter how many goals you score. So the tie breaker should be based on wins not goals.

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Remember, we don't have a first round draft pick for them to botch because we traded it away to Dallas.

I don't remember if we have picks in the second or third rounds left.

Obviously the club could trade some players for picks between the end of the season and the draft in January. But, given how Kaspar/Hudson/Trask handled the last two drafts, and the players they've taken, do we really want them trading players for picks?

25. voodoodiver

voodoodiver Member

Jun 21, 2002
    FLL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never thought of it that way before... man that IS disgusting. I admit I like the thrill of OT and a chance at a win, but to have a pretty decent season get p!ssed away is not worth it.