Official DC United vs Columbus Crew POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 19, 2003.

1. vivaelbolivar

vivaelbolivar New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    RFK & EL MADRIGAL
    this head to head crap is another stupid rule for MlS why cant they get with the program and do the goal difference like the other leagues.

2. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Wrong. It goes to head to head play and we'll lose. They win, we lose, and we're out. Period.

And most of the Crew team is a bunch of *#*#*#*#*#*#*#. Dive here, dive there and get a call. Yeah, Stoichkov did it once or twice, but he wasn't near as bad as their collective crapitude.

3. spootmasta

spootmasta New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    that was RELE depressing......

4. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a positive note, you'll probably be cheering for a Curt Onalfo-coached team next year. Also, you guaranteed that we wouldn't have to play Chicago in the first round.

There's a silver lining if you just look for it. :D

5. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    No, the 1st tiebreaker is head to head, which C-bus now leads with two victories, 1 loss and 1 tie. Here are the MLS rules:

TEAM-STANDINGS TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURES
    The team awarded the highest position in the MLS standings will be the team with the greatest number of points as determined by the point system. Ties will be broken according to the following system (NOTE: If two clubs remain tied after first club advances during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format):

1) The highest position shall be awarded to the team with the better win/loss record in current regular season games against all other teams equal in points. (head-to-head competition)

2) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the highest position shall be awarded to the team with the greater goal difference against all other teams during the regular season. (goal differential)

Agree. It's is possible that the ref doesn't call it since the ball didn't look to be playable, but most of the time the call is made.

6. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh ok, i thought it was always goal differential.

7. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Because goal differential is a crap way to decide things w/ an unbalanced schedule.

8. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because not everybody plays the same schedule. Head to head, or goal differential within the conference would be all right; overall favors whoever plays Dallas the most.

9. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    This weekend has been horrible for many reasons but especially this.

10. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Petke and Warren had bad games. I still say the Penalty was schoolboy, West shot and missed wide. Just because he was cleaned out..doesn't mean he gets a penalty. Zach Thornton takes on Strikers all the time. Not for balls on the ground normally balls in the air, however, its 1-1 in the 90th minute you cannot make that questionable call. Esky shouldn't be allowed back on ever again. He shouldn't play till Adu signs w/ us or something.

Petke made up for his gaff by scoring the goal. I hope someone who was there live and possibly sitting behind the DC goal can tell us whether Warren said something to Petke to let the ball fall to him otherwise...a horrible decision to head the ball into the box w/ Brian West charging like that.

11. Goaliechick

Goaliechick New Member

Oct 19, 2003
    This is my first post, although I've been reading what you all have had to say for a long time.

As a referee myself, I have to say that was one of the worst refeering performances I have *ever* witnessed. Neither of those PKs should have been PKs (yes Warren ran into West but it was mostly momentum and the ball was just about out anyway). The fact that there were 30+ fouls called during the game and God knows how many cards pretty much tells the story.

I am also a keeper. I thought Warren did a good job for the most part, but he definitely needs to learn to be vocal. That was the reason for the first goal.

Oh, and it would have been nice if Hristo didn't wait until the second half to start hustling.

On the plus side, I was ready to have Petke's baby after that sweet, sweet header.

Anyway, I thought I'd finally weigh in with some thoughts. I truly enjoy reading your posts. I would love some day to sit in the Barra or La Norte. You all are some awesome soccer fans.

12. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Welcome goaliechick!

13. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    2nd OT loss in two games:

The first happened because of Prideaux' PK foul.

The second happened because McBride outjumped Prideaux.

14. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Welcome!

And yeah, Warren should have either called Petke off or sat back on his goalline. Warren's at fault for not being vocal until the last second.

Next weekend will be helluva finish to a bizarre season.

15. Goaliechick

Goaliechick New Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Thanks, Ursula and Jason.

The injuries have really hurt us. I miss Olsen. He's the kinda player that you take for granted, and when he's gone, you never realize how good you had it.

ps on a purely newbie note, if someone could let me know how the bloody hell I edit my profile on here, I'd appreciate it. :)

16. vivaelbolivar

vivaelbolivar New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    RFK & EL MADRIGAL
    i guess etch's quote about dcu being a big club that rises to occasions or something like that will be put to the ultimate test.

marco v. preki

17. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Go to the main BS website. Click on My and you can edit your profile. Took me forever to figure that out.

18. Glorious Save

Glorious Save Member

Sep 6, 2001
    Washington, DC Metro Area
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overtime - Character Flaw

Our inability to win, or just not lose, in overtime is one of this team's major character flaws. I think it's some combination of a lack of fitness, and overconservative coaching.

During the second overtime, we made no attempt whatsover to hold the ball (granted, holding the ball becomes more difficult when your down a man). We just sat back and played kickball.

Whatever the reason, it's absolutely heartbreaking.

19. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not trying to be a troll, BTW

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20031019-122449-5924r.htm
    "Even though they need only a tie to advance into the postseason, United's players said they are not going to bunker in and play for the point today against the last-place Columbus Crew (8-12-8) at RFK Stadium.
    "When you go in playing for a tie, it inevitably ends up as a loss," captain Ryan Nelsen said.

This happens to often in MLS...you have to mean what you tell yourselves...Too many teams playtoo conservative on the road....And at the same time, also, the home team with an advantage on the score (or in this case one that would get you to the playoffs) plays "not to lose" instead of to win....Again, not a knock on DC alone, but there has to be more respect for the home fans...Playing at home you cannot play so scared...(which is why it think Eski got red carded) or allow Columbus so much of the ball....Anyway, just an opinion....

20. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ... Mod's Note ...

First - No trolling, no flaming. No nothing. Take it to the rivalry board.

Second ...
    You've got a private message.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/private.php?s=

21. supermanuno

supermanuno BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 27, 2003
    Woodbridge
    3-2 overtime lost to the yellow panties!

WOW THIS HURTS, I was so sure i had not been bad all week, why is God punishing me?

22. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Re: Overtime - Character Flaw

Yeah, I agree. Losing 5 OT games is not some random chance thing. The team is earning those losses. I would say though that I think it's overlyconservative coaching more than lack of fitness. In the last three games we have score once in the run of play, and twice with flops in the box. I don't think that's because our players suck.

23. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    THat's the problem. Etch DID NOT play (see my Wynalda post)

What a f joke the Etch bashing is. Etch doesn't play, and for the MILLIONTH, BILLIONTH, TRILLIONTH time it proves it does NOT!!! NOT!! NOT!! help DC United!!!

WHEN ARE PEOPLE GOING TO LEARN!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER

I STILL say we make the playoffs. PERIOD.

24. Goaliechick

Goaliechick New Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Thanks Jason and Knave!

Okay, hopefully I've got it now. Thanks for the warm welcome.

I was impressed with Martins (Martens?) today. He's a hustler, which is what we've been missing in a forward, IMHO. Too bad he got hurt towards the end of the game there.

25. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    And someone said this thread would be 50 posts less than usual just because Etch was out on caution points. ;)