Official DC United vs Chicago Fire PRE Match Thread • Game Two

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    update...

Well, with any luck, we busted Chicago's lab, came out clean, analyzed and duplicated Beasley's super speed serum and knocked out Ivanov, Q2 and Marco with a triple dose early enough in time for it to take affect by Sunday 1 PM. And for added bonus, the Barra Brava should have pics of Thornton playing paddy-cake in a gimp suit a la Pulp Fiction, including one with the hood pulled back of course for the photo op... locked away in the basement of the Pentagon. Figure would be short drive from Summer's in case he tried to call our bluff. Medals awarded to Reyes for successful execution, with all other agents remaining out from under any spotlight, to secure future endeavours.
    Now all we need is for the offense to replicate a tennis ball serving machine gone haywire in front of Chicago's goalkeeper. For me, I won't be happy til we see bruises on their keeper's face from shots going through his friggin hands.

Hey, just realized, does that mean a 12 PM game in Chicago? Anyone have stats on how DC does this early?

Anyways, I will be interested to see what the Post reports on the lineup come Sunday morning, and if there are any telltale changes from our previously offered suggestion. (Alright, thought I had the PERFECT strategy mapped out, and have yet any sign that they've seen it.)
    Will be nice to get a mid-day soccer induced buzz on a Sunday- a win of 2+ would be especially nice.

2. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so fast. You see, that's just what Ray wants Chicago to think. But he'll start them both. This is some sort of Hudson-Eurotrash psychology he's trying to work on them. He's hoping Chicago will be so stunned by such a boneheaded move they'll be distracted enough that we might score and not get totally blown out. On the other hand, Ray could just be a bonehead. Either that, or he's not from this planet.

3. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Every time Eric Wynalda (former player, present loud mouth, arrogant, penis, SOB!!) opens his mouth I swear to God I want to smach his head in!! The following is the end of his column on United....
    "Just for kicks: Watch for Dema Kovalenko and let's count the dives and the arguments he has with his former teammtes."

Bastard.

4. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Word.

Harkes!

5. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Is he talking about the same Marco who he stripped of the Captains armband and said he was maybe a second half player?

It's totally obvious Ray doesn't post on BigSoccer, other wise you guys would have reminded him of his statements....

6. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
  7. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Game day!

I hope everyone leaves everything on the field!

DC UNITED!

8. hattrickr20

hattrickr20 New Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Manassas, VA
    This article has our probable lineup read-

Stewart Quaranta

Etch
    Convey Namoff
    Kovalenko

Ivanov Petke Nelsen Prideaux

However, Steven Goff's article says Cerritos will start despite his illness and that Prideaux will sit, shifting Namoff to right back and pushing Quintanilla into the starting lineup at right mid.

9. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Based on what Hudson said after the game last week, there is little to no chance that Q2 will start on the outside of midfield.. He will get roasted by Beasley and that is the reason why he didn't start last weekend.. It would be a tactical decision that would give us zippy chance to win this game, though I don't think we'll win the game even if we had Inter Milan's starting X1 out there.. If Hudson starts Q2 on the outside based on his comments from the press conference, then he does indeed need to move on from this team...

10. Cristobal

Cristobal Member

Dec 1, 1999
    Falls Church
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was it over when the Germanys bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no, and it ain't over now. Come on who's with me.

Razov. DEAD

Curtain. DEAD

Beasely?

11. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, Q2 vs Beasley is a bad idea, but I think that's not the match-up to worry about.

According to Goff http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A16689-2003Nov8.html

• Probable Starters: D.C. (4-4-2 formation) -- GK Doug Warren; Ds Bryan Namoff, Mike Petke, Ryan Nelsen, Galin Ivanov; MFs Eliseo Quintanilla, Dema Kovalenko, Marco Etcheverry, Bobby Convey; Fs Earnie Stewart, Ronald Cerritos. Chicago (3-5-2) -- GK Zach Thornton; Ds Orlando Perez, Jim Curtin, Carlos Bocanegra; MFs Evan Whitfield, Chris Armas, Jesse Marsch, Andy Williams, DaMarcus Beasley; Fs Ante Razov, Damani Ralph.

What worries me more is Ivanov vs Beasley, or worse, Ivanov vs Ralph. Think we'll see marking assignments handed out to either/both Dema and Namoff.
    I like Q2 to start especially in a formation that limits his defensive responsibilities. Ray may have decided on getting his spark to link up from the back and ignite the offense. Obviously though, we will need to squeeze every ounce of creativity from him both on and off the ball. Failing that, I like bringing Stoich on to rotate assignments at midfield.

How do we like to start the 2nd half like this-

Warren
    Namoff Nelson Petke Ivanov
    Dema Etch Convey Stoich
    Stewart Cerritos
    ??
    or if it's still 0-0, shifting into 3-4-3

Warren
    Petke Nelson Ivanov/Prideaux
    Namoff Etch Convey Dema
    Stewart Cerritos Stoich
    ??
    Have to say at the very least I'm a bit relieved to see Ray considering 4-4-2 over 3-5-2... that's a start in the right direction at least.
    The other thing I'm hoping is that whoever plays at wing back, whatever the formation, someone learned to make crossing passes to the opposite mid-field wing -in one touch to quickly change the point of attack- a la Agoos.

12. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    I'm going to start off by saying, no matter the outcome of this match today, two things are not going to change.

Number one is my faith in Ray and John. Those two have turned this team around and "started" it in the right direction. Many have complained about his style, tactical decisions etc....But we did make it further this year than the last four. Ray has had to deal with key injuries, "transfers" to europe, and a total disruption to his plans for United throughout this season. And yet, we made it to the playoffs. My hat's off to ya both.

Number two is Marco. I wasn't here for marco's "glory" years. The years the club won most of our silverware. Since I have been supporting United, and had the few opportunities to meet and talk to Marco, I have never questioned his love of this club, it's fans or his desire to help take this club victory everytime he steps foot onto the pitch. Win, lose or draw, my many thanks go out to one of the key players that have made United the club I have come to love and support. Thank you Marco.

Many in the media, and on these boards have given up hope for victory today. Not me. I'm looking forward to this match, and victory today.
    People can pick this post apart and tell me how wrong I am in beliving what I do. Well, that's your opinion and these are mine.

VAMOS UNITED

13. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen, I say unto thee, Amen. 3-NIL to United.

There'll be a hot time in the ol' town tonight. Go on Bessie, kick that lantern.
    "Don't bother me with trifles. After 20 years my father's soul will be at rest . THERE WILL BE BLOOD TONIGHT!!!"-Mandy Patinkin as Inigo Montoya-the Princess Bride
    HELLO!! We are DC UNITED!!! In 98, you took our CUP!!! PREPARE TO DIE!!!

14. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Good post Dave and I think this is the attitude we should take into todays match.. Granted, I think our chances of pulling this off are small at best though.. If this team had given any kind of indication that they could put 3 goals past an opponent without conceding (on the road) a goal, then I would be hopeful.. I know we scored 4 in a ten minute span up in Foxboro, but c'mon man, that was a fluke.. This team, as it is currently constructed, can not pull this off, though that most certainly won't dissuade me from cheering my ass off during the match..

15. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Assume crash positions!

;)