Official DC United vs Chicago Fire PRE Match Thread • Game Two

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 2, 2003.

1. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Olsen might play on Sunday.

There's no way in hell Hudson will start two rookies who don't have a single minute of league playing time. I would love for Stokes to go out there, since he is the closest to being able to compete at this level, but that's hardly a reason for him to start.

Q2 deserves a start. Q1 deserves to be dragged behind the stadium and shot. He has shown no desire to play and has been unconvincing in all of his recent games.

2. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's why I never played soccer professionally. A bad season warrants the death penalty.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    For all the talk about playing Stokes I bet he doesn't even make the travel roster. (The usual roster restrictions still stand for the playoffs, no?)

4. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I don't think so, because Sh!tcago had a full bench and a half. About ten in pennies and another 10-12 in sweats who looked like staffers.

Thx,

Jay!

5. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Ooh, hadn't even considered that. I would bring:

Etch (sentimental I guess)
    Stoich (ditto)
    Q1 (god help us, if we actually need him to play)
    Olsen (if he doesn't start)
    Martins (ditto)

Wow, in a little over a month our depth is now squat.

6. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Actually, there are. Check out the mlsnet.com boxscore of the game for who Chicago brought.

7. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Dema will get an early yellow hitting Razov.
    DC will suck.
    Chicago will win.

We should be able to take everyone we want but why waste the effort since Ray and John don't think they can play.

8. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    we need to put as many attack-minded players on the field as possible. playing 3 centerbacks in a 3-5-2 effectively runs counter to this goal. Unfortunately, our outside back situation (4-4-2) is far less than ideal. I don't know which way I'd go, but if we want to play longball like last game, Martins MUST play.

Warren
    Ivanov - Nelsen - Petke - Namoff
    Q2 - Dema - Stewart - Convey
    Martins - Cerritos

9. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    starting martins?

Everybody here thinks the beast (martins) should start, and I TOTALLY agree, i really do. But I gar-hun-tee you that Hudson starts Earnie and cerritos. I am NOT saying this is a good idea, I am a big thiago fan, I know he hasn't scored yet, but who in a united jersey has scored that much anyway in the past month? It's just that Ray's lineups latley have been a little light in the common sense area, and it wouldn't surprise me to see a no-brainer move like this. I hope i'm wrong.

10. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear United:

Nos. 4 and 5 in the red jerseys are tall and head the ball well. Just thought you'd like to know.

A Concerned Fan

11. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    In fact, screw that.

Ivanov, Nelsen, Petke (need height on corners/set pieces)
    Quintanilla, Dema, Convey, Quaranta
    Stewart, Martins, Cerritos

If you're gonna go down, go down putting the best foot (and as many feet as possible) forward.

and SHOOT THE DAMN BALL.

12. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Re: starting martins?

He hasn't scored, but he created a goal in the swamp by occupying the Metrotards' best defender in the air.

13. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

It was for the realistic ones up until you showed up. :)

14. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    They certainly brought more people than were actually eligible. I'm sure the rules for the roster stay the same, but instead of not travelling their useless players, they brought their whole team. Which means DC will probably bring all their players, but have to name the eligible subs before game time.

Thx,

Jay!

15. toddinho

toddinho New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Annapolis, MD
    Not to be pessimistic, but after watching last Saturday's game... It's over and the fat lady is singing.

toddinho

16. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    -------------warren
    ivanov petke nelsen prideaux
    -----namoff convey q2
    ---stewart cerritos dema

if olsen his healthy, he is in and namoff either sits on the bench or starts for one of the outside backs.
    martins can sub in after earnie or ronald get tired. etcheverry can come in with 10 seconds to go in OT so he can take one of the penalties, if the game goes that far.

17. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    The thought of Galin Ivanov marking Damani Ralph makes me chuckle and sigh simultaneously.

18. soccerhooligan33

soccerhooligan33 New Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Clifton, VA
    -----------Warren----------
    Prideaux----Nelsen-----Petke
    -----Ivanov-------Namoff---
    Olsen----------------Convey
    -Stewart-Martins-Kovalenko-

Prideaux MUST mark Beasley. Prideaux and Olsen will shut DMB down. If Olsen can't start, put in Cerritos in replacement.

19. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    Re: starting martins?

Not me.

Seeing Martins up top would mean the continuation of mindless longball tactics. Unless Manute Bol and Gheorge Muresan are on the travel roster, those tactics won't work. Just as they haven't worked all season.

What little chance we have depends on our skill players (I'm not sure who they are, but I know Martins isn't one of them) keeping the ball on the ground and playing fast.

If we can get into halftime up 1-0, I'll start to believe. Anything less and it's time to start watching the Bullets and Caps. At least with those clubs there will be no playoff torture.

20. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Re: Re: starting martins?

As we were walking away fromthe game last weekend, Mike Martin was torturing himself over the possibility we would tie in Chicago and thus do better but still lose. I suggested that it would be much worse if we won 1-0.

After he stopped screaming and tearing the grass up in handfuls, he promised that if this happened he would come to my house and punch me in the nose, just for suggesting such an evil outcome.

I'll be at Lonnie's, Mike. :D

And see I think Chiba can do this as well or better than most of the other players on our team. He can fight through tackles, instead of just falling down and hoping for a card.

But I've been wrong about so much this season, you probably shouldn't base much on my opinion. :(

21. Gemmell

Gemmell New Member

May 10, 2003
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Why is everyone so despondent, look at how this team as performed this year and we probably don’t deserve to be in the playoffs (8 of 10 teams making the playoffs is a joke). Let’s enjoy it while we are here and make the most of it. Sure changes need to be made and hopefully they will but let’s leave that till after the season is over, hopefully in a couple of weeks.

Guys we still have a chance. Don’t talk like the season is over. We are looking down the barrel of a gun right now, but face it, this team has been doing that all season.

Look at the Florida Marlins in Baseball, they were down 3 games to 1. Had to win the first at home, then win 2 in Chicago against the cubs 2 best pitchers. Sure things look
    bleak right now, but judging how unpredictable this team has been maybe they can do it.

April 12th Vs KC 2-3
    May 31 Vs Dallas 2-3
    July 2nd vs Dalas 3-1
    July 12 vs Chicago 2-1
    July 27th vs NE 4-2
    Sept 25th vs Metros 2-0

This team has scored 2 goals on the road before, 6 times in 15 road games. Which isn’t all that bad considering how anemic our offense is. In fact 3 of those 6 games would have been good enough to tie up the aggregate goal differential. Hell we scored 4 goals in the last 10 minutes of the NE game. I think everyone thought that game was over, but we won it. Now we have a full 90 minutes to overcome a 2 goal deficit.

This is the lineup I would like to see. Hopefully Olsen is good enough to play a half or so, then bring in Stoich to finish up the second half. Quaranta could be replaced with Q2 but I just haven’t like his play lately. Though sometimes he seems really on his game and looks great (i.e. NE game). In fact I am thinking now I would rather have Q2 in. And Bring in Thiago instead of Stoich.
    Maybe Baumstark in Goal. Hell Warren has yet to win a game yet?

Warren
    Nelsen – Petke – Prideaux
    Namoff
    Olsen (Stewart) – Convey –Kovalenko -
    Quaranta
    Stewart (Stoich) - Cerritos

22. vivaelbolivar

vivaelbolivar New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    RFK & EL MADRIGAL
    this sat all our doubts will be answered wether it is glory or doom. as far as next season i dont really give a *#*#*#*# what happens. as far as im concerned we should only care about this game.

23. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    No. Or, rather, yes, he has yet to win a game with DC. He's 0-2-2, our new third-string is 0-0-1, and "Nicky is our king" is 10-9-6, about the only person on the team to have what one could call a winning record.

http://www.mlsnet.com/statistics/tmstats.html#dc

24. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Where is that big club/big occasions quote when you need it? ;)

25. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    That hasn't been his fault. He's made one mistake that's led to a goal. This team is losing all over the field. You could go get Brad Friedel, at his World Cup best, and we wouldn't have done much better.