Official DC United vs Chicago Fire PRE Match Thread • Game One

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 27, 2003.

1. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where should I sit?

Hey, I need a little advice...

I haven't been to RFK in like two years and the stars have finally aligned and I get to go this weekend. I'm bringing my girlfriend to her first soccer match and I want to know where is the best place to sit. I want to be NEAR the mayhem, but not neccessarily IN the mayhem if you catch my drift :)

So where would be best? with SE or the Barra or elsewhere?

2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    If we win the first leg, Ray would go to a 10-0-0 at Chicago.

3. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Re: Where should I sit?

Probably right behind them.

SE (section 134), Barra (section 135), La Norte (section 120)

So you probably want to sit in SE (section 234), Barra (section 235), La Norte (section 220).

4. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    :D

But if it works...

5. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Where should I sit?

Are those sections considered part of SE, Barra or La Norte or are they just regular seats?

Thanks for the info BTW

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Where should I sit?

Those seats are just regular, but get you close to the mayhem and you are up high enough to see more of the game, which might be better for your friend. However, if you want to be closer to the field and players (most the girls I bring like to be closer to the butts and thighs, the piglettes) and be close, but not right in it, and help a supporters club ;-) Get your tickets in 133 - Nest Lite - and you may impress her by getting up-close midfield seats to boot :)
    Follow directions in the SE playoff ticket thread.

7. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    come in LaNorte. or sit near us. a good time always

8. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Where should I sit?

I think this sounds the best, cuz I definitely want to add to the noise. this is my first game in a long time, but I just don't want to Scare her away :). I'll probably order tickets tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for everyones input I knew I could count on you guys. My next question is where to tailgate! :D

9. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta say I like this lineup. the only thing I might (might, i say) change is to move convey into the middle and namoff outside, but i really like this setup.

We need bodies in the middle to cope with their 5man midfield. It'll lead to an ugly game probably, but we have to control the midfield and deny service to their two very dangerous forwards.

I think Marco is gonna have the game of his life knowing it may be his last at RFK...

Prediction 2-0 good guys and we break our attendance record :)

10. dcuni_ted

dcuni_ted Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here we go

all right ive waited four long freakin years for this day and i want it to be good

dc2
    chi 1

11. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    I for one, don't care if who they put out on the field... I have faith that United will not be a pushover in this match and that we've got enough chance of winning this game as ever. Very rarely do we allow our opponents to bring their game into our house and win. More often then not, since we don't really have game, we knock them down to our level and then play really ugly football. The same will occur on Saturday... and I'll be singing and jumping all the same.

12. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD
    This lineup may work. However, I think that Petke is the better man-marker and should be on the right. Of major concern is Stewart's health. If he can't go I think Namoff needs to play the right to counter DMB. That move would bring Convey to the middle, Dema to d-mid and Q1/Chino on the left. Not ideal but that is all they have.

Under no circumstances should Ivanov be allowed anywhere near DMB. If needed, Q2 could sub for Marco (passing and shooting ability but no defense). Stoitchkov could be brought in at the half for a forward. It certainly would be a lot simpler if they had Olsen.

It looks like a close two game set with DCU finishing just out of the money as they have all season in OT.

13. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    JoeW's point about the potential for this series to get butt-ugly is a good one. An analogy I'd make would be to liken United's approach to that other Ali's ;) strategy of rope-a-dope. I just see us taking away from chicago their ability to approach the goal down the center but having to many guys in the way.

I like the lineup posted above but with elconejito's revision:

-------------Warren

Nelsen-----Petke-----Prideaux

-----------Kovalenko

XXXX----Convey-----Namoff

---------Etcheverry

----Cerritos---Martins (Stoichkov)

- Moving Namoff to the wing really shut down that side of the field to KC attacks. That especially meant Preki. So I see Namoff starting there.

- The defenders, Dema the Demolition Man, and the two winger are gonna play very compactly in the back, denying space to DMB, Razov, Ralph, The Cartographer, whoever.

- I have Stoichkov in parentheses because we don't know if he starts or subs of the two forwards. Whatever.

- I have XXXX at the right wing because we don't know Stewart's health status and I see him as by far the best possibility there (unless Namoff starts there). For this series we MUST have wingers who know defense and have some speed, if not tons of speed. Alegria and Q2 don't fit this bill; this is a poor series for them. Q1 would be a better match-up, if Stewart can't go. The main problem with Q1 is his match fitness... You know it's too bad we never saw Ivanov as a winger this year. yeah I'm scared about his defense but he had success vs the Fire offensively.

- Finally Convey and Etch in the middle. I see a PK....

-You know it's weird but I actually prefer Warren to Rimando here for the reason that our defense will be very compact thus letting the likes of Marsch to shoot long range and we know Nicky's ADD problems in regards to long range shots...

14. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    I read the MLS playoff rules, but it makes no mention of whether or not there is OT in the first leg of the home-and-home. If we're tied 1-1 Saturday after 90, do we have to play the longest 10 minutes RFK will have ever seen, or do we call it a day and move on to Soldier Field?

15. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To the best of my knowledge, a tie is a tie on Saturday. There is no away goals rule, so any tie in aggregate after Game 2 will result in a 30-minute OT and then penalties, if necessary.

Ed

16. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I hope your prediction is right.

The attendance record probably will not be broken as the record was set in the 1997 MLS Cup final between DC United and Colorado Rapids, i.e. 57K+.

In answer to the tailgate. Lot 8 is the place. Both the Screaming Eagles and La Norte have huge tailgates.

17. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well maybe the attendance record for this season.

18. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Hudson said on the show tonight that Earnie will be ready to go.. He also stated that Hristo simply can't be counted on as a 90 minute player and look for him to come on as a sub in the second half..

That lineup looks good except that I would put Nelsen in the middle and Petke out to the right.. That is how they played that particular threesome during some games earlier this season..

19. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont mind hristo as a second half sub. i think its best when he is second half because he brings energy to our tired guys.

20. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Everything you say sounds right to me. Great news about Stewart. I was really worried about the speed matchup on the right.

21. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then Lot 8 is where we'll be.

I can hope for 57k+ can't I....

22. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With a healthy Earnie on one wing and namoff on the other, I think we can effectively shut down the fire's flank play, a major part of their offense...

i also think we win the battle down the middle with dema, marco and bobby... our defense should control razov and ralph.

the only question is can we score?

23. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    early confidence...

Yes, I'm saying it- am confident about this upcoming match. Folks, we'll have what's been missing at our disposal, should we choose to use it- speed. First, a list, then formation possibles.
    The list- Prideaux,Namoff,Convey, Dema, Earnie(ok, maybe not 100%)Santino(see Earnie),Ronald, Thiago, Hristo, Esky- yes, we miss the fastest of all in Milton Reyes, but we have legs- a collection not seen at all this season, given injuries as well as the recent addition of Thiago Martins. And Marco should have a better week of preperation, and as such, I agree we'll see his inspiration produce a memorable game.

Warren
    Prideaux-Nelson-Petke
    Earnie-Namoff-Marco-Dema-Convey
    Cerritos-Martins

subs:Stoichkov(hot foot), Santino, Ivanov,Esky,Q2,Alegria

I'd like to see us with a free flowing midfield attack, with the wings and forwards cycling and overlapping around Etch,let's disrupt any marking schemes. We can call it Marco & the Jets, minor apologies to NY. After instaliing eyes in the back of Dema and Namoff's heads, we will light up the third the way we've been looking to all season. Thiago, if approached early, will come through. You want pressure folks? This guy scored his team's goal vs DC in the Open Cup. He can handle it- we just gotta put it on him.
    Want the intangible edge we have over the Fire? Big time experience, undoubtably why some of the new hires were brought on. So WHEN our push to the playoffs came through, they could galvinize the team's identity and mentality the way they know how. Vulcanize may be the better term there- process involves fire- we have it in spades. Diablo, the Wolf- bet we'll see the REAL FIRE prevail, hopefully in abundance say 3-0 to put pressure on Chicago for their trip home. We've suffered enough anticipation and grief- hopefully we can earn a moment's optimism before taking it on the road again. And oh yeah, let's skip the dance with the OT chick.

Speaking of inspiration- what's Bruce Arena doing this weekend?
    paging MLS- ......we're BAAAACk!!!!!!!

24. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox Sports Chicago will show the game, so Shootout subscribers will be in luck. The game is being tape-delayed until 10 in Chicago, but I have not hear dyet if the Shootout will air the live feed or the delayed feed.

25. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it Saturday yet? I hope RFK is electric - but I haven't heard or seen a single ad or anything to get people down there. Of course I don't listen much to DC radio :)
    I think we have a tough road ahead, but we can do it, Chicago is a team that swarms to the ball, but if we keep our shape and move forward as a group, we should be able to score. I hope Earnie has recouperated more than he was last week, and I wish we'd have taken him out at 60 minutes to let him get healthy. Any word on if he's practicing fully? I know we've been saying it for weeks, but it is really time for Bobby to step up and dictate something good. I don't need him to score, but I need him to disrupt and create, that isn't asking much from an (almost-)EPL quality midfielder, is it.
    I predict Mike Petke will be a rock out there for us and stop a goal or two - maybe he'll even score one.
    Note to guys: The regular season is over, you set the record, it is now OK to score off a cornerkick!!!!!