Official DC United vs Chicago Fire POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mcontento, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Enforcer

Enforcer New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    The Quiet Side
    How about David Hayes? Here are some stats for former DC United players in the A-League:

David Hayes (MF-Richmond) 7 goals and 2 assists
    Mike Burke (F-Richmond) 1 goal and 4 assists
    Raul Diaz Arce (F-Charleston) 6 goals and 4 assists
    Abdul Thompson Conteh (F-Pittsburgh) 1 goal and 1 assist

2. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What'd they come out dressed as pirates or something?

It seemed like at least every five minutes Chicago was taking a shot at point blank range from the broadcast. Luckily Kovalenko cant hit a barn. DJ said it was wide open shot and he sent it over. Also it seemed as though Nicky was standing on his head much of the time.

Bunge, how was the Q2 shot the hit the crossbar? DJ made it sound like it was very well taken, but just skimmed over the top.

3. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Ben came on in the 68th minute.

4. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    What is this bit about getting Dante Washington, for Brian Namoff?????????????

How would they pull THAT trade off?

5. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    The Q2 shot was in the first half and on the other side of the field. From what I could see it was on its way out no matter what, but inches from being on goal. For a Fire fan it was scary because the play didn't look too dangerous but the shot seemed to come from nowhere. He just decided to sneak one on goal.

Thornton had it covered because it was pretty close to being at the center of the goal, but when you can "trick" a goalie or the defense and create a shot when it didn't look like there could be one, it doesn't have to be perfectly placed to go it.

As for the Pirate outfits, no. Just mullets.

6. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Man, that foul on Ben near the end sounded like it was in the box to me. We deserved the PK on taht one.

7. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We knew they all could play in the A League. It's MLS that's the problem though.

8. Enforcer

Enforcer New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    The Quiet Side
    Ok. I'm just supplying stats.

9. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    There were two fouls called and both were in the box, one on Ben and one on Etch. Neither one should have been called though. The Etch one was a foul, but it was after the ball had rolled an entire foot over the endline. The linesman didn't call that but the ref didn't have the guts to call a PK.

The Benny "foul" looked to be more of a dive/I'm tired of running so a little bit of contact is going to make me fall down. Still, the ref didn't have the guts to call a PK on that one either. I'd rather they didn't call anything at all.

That's what happened to the Fire. Twice. Twice chopped down in the box. Twice no calls. Really, I'd rather there had been 4 PKs called. It might clean up some of the sloppyness of the league's defense.

10. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Thanks. The DC announcer thought the one on Ben should have been called!! :D

11. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    David Hayes! From somebody other than Cruyff14? Cruyff14 has been pleading us to sign David Hayes for a long time now

Regarding the game, I'm going to go way out on a limb here, on the cutting edge of opinion, and say we played good defense and bad offense ;)

12. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds from the reports it was the usual (m.o.). Plenty of close chances that just did not finish.

13. detter7

detter7 New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    PA
    Eh. 0-0, not bad. Not what we wanted...

14. mikesterw

mikesterw New Member

May 2, 2001
    Long Island, NY
    There is going to be some major celebratin'on my part when they finally get one in. I don't know how much more of this I can take, and what makes it worse is my co-worker is a Metrodogs fan. Uhhh.

15. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    So who wants to put money that both Etcheverry and Pope find ways to score in the All-Star game? ;)

0-0 at the Fire could've been worse. At least we're shutting down Wolff, Beasley and Razov enough to keep them scoreless twice in 2 weeks. After the break Olsen should be able to go a half on a bad day, 70 minutes or so on a good one. Q2 should be better with all of his new teammates. Santino will be 2 weeks closer to returning, Moreno should be back, as well as Reyes and Villegas. Plus who knows who we will get in a trade/signing.

We are 7 points out of the last playoff spot right now with 8 games remaining. We are also 8 points behind the Metrostars with 3 games against them remaining. We NEED to win those 3 games.

We've got the All-Star game at our house in a few days, let's take a week off from worrying about DC United's inept attack and enjoy the festivities. Maybe our team will do the same, and come the next game they will forget that they don't know how to score and actually put a couple in.

Also congratulations to Nick Rimando, he's currently tied for 3rd in the league in GAA with 1.32. When was the last time a United 'keeper was that high?

16. dcuinvermont

dcuinvermont Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Burlington VT
    I'm wathcing the rest of the DC games with the philosophy that I'll only the chance to see them play 7 more times (the KC game isn't televised). Then I have to switch to watching the EPL (fine games but none are 'my team."
    Its time to give up on the playoff and assume that relegation is on it's way. (I still hate the whole playoof thing and wish they'd go to a single table to decide the League and then have a separate 'MLS Cup".)
    So for the rest of the season I'm taking each game just as itself. In that light a 0-0 tie away from home isn't a loss. Unfortunately, we can't win any game without scoring, but perhaps 9 days of pratice with Q2 and time for Jaime to rest will help them find a way to score against Kansas.
    Viva DC United!!!

17. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Arrrr... that's pretty funny.

Rimando was standing on his head so much as deflecting balls with his belly. We kept shooting right at him. That does say something for his positioning.

I thought your squad looked hungrier and beat us to most of the loose balls in the second half. I'm only 5'8", but your team looks damn short to me.

18. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    I never have understood why old "Sneaky Pete Marino" never gets much respect. Now please don't get me wrong here I am not holding a torch high for Marino other than he was always a very productive player in his limited role player status. Consider that Marino scored 25 MLS career Goals and had a total of 58 career MLS points and he averaged a goal per 165 minutes of playing time. Jaime Moreno the all-time DC scoring leader in comparison through 2001 has scored a total of 66 career goals and averages 1 goal per every 170 minutes of playing time! :eek:

19. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Quintanilla and Rimando

...from where I was standing, exactly opposite Zach in goal, it looked like a snappy shot that caught Thornton completely off guard and he only just got up to shepherd it over the bar. If Zach didn't tip it, he was probably beat by the shot and it skimmed off the top of the crossbar. If he did tip it, it was a great shot and an equally fine save. As evidence for the latter, the fact that Gus Van Sant, who didn't get a call right all night, called it a goal kick, so Zach probably did parry it over the bar.

Could Nick maybe just once have a good game instead of a great game against us? I'm getting sick of seeing him parry sure goals into 0-0 draws. But cheers to him for being a good sport - a couple of us down front laid the stick to him pretty good in OT, and after the match he turned and laughed and gave us a little applause. I used to hate him and want him to die, now I just hate him.

Hope Nick et al are equally inspired against the Metros. Exactly equal - 3 more nil-nils would look pretty nice out here in Chicago. ;-)

mh

20. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new United midfield

http://users.wpi.edu/~jim12180/oompa.jpg

I wish I could credit the original United poster, but I can't remember who did this.

dadman

21. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Congratulations!

22. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I won't turn my avatar right side up again until we score.

Sachin

23. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Fair enough.

That too shall come to pass.

24. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    The teams at the bottom of the playoff seeding are mostly all in good form. It will probably take .700 ball (16-17 points of 24) to get DC in.