Official DC United @ Richmond Kickers US Open Cup PRE-match thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by cherno, Aug 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cherno

cherno New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    ----------------------------------------------
    DC United @ The Richmond Kickers
    US Open Cup Fourth Round
    ----------------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    Chompin' at the ankles to play his old team.
    ----------------------------------------------​

- Stuff You Need To Know -

• Date & Time :: Wednesday, August 3rd 7:00pm @ University of Richmond Stadium
    • Television :: Nope
    • Audio Webcast :: DCUnited.com
    • Broadband Video Webcast :: Nope
    • PBP AIM Chatroom :: BigSoccerDCU :: Directions Here

- Notes and Ramblings -

Thought I'd go ahead and get this up. We needed something other than Chelsea to talk about.

We owe them from last year.

--------------------------------
    No Flames - No Trolls
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------​

2. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really want to win this, and I really regret that I won't be able to make it.

Not being able to drink beer at a game sucks.

3. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell me about it!!

~worm~

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Just hope our travelling fans can be heard over their crap PA system hawking Wonder bread and car batteries. :rolleyes:

I'm real interested in Nowak's line-up for this game. I'm sure they're taking it serious but I can see Nana and Walker getting lots of minutes.

2-0 to the good guys...

5. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    From last year's match, watch out for Jeffery's, that diving fvcker. If we aren't careful, he'll draw a penalty.

Pissed that I won't be able to make it this year. However, I had a feeling of foreboding last year that I just don't have this year. Somehow, after that Chelsea game, I really feel like we are playing greaet soccer. If we can play like that against the best team in the world, I think the scoreline should be prdictable. However, they ARE a good team, just like us last game, with nothing to lose.

3-0 DC, 3-1 DC, depending on who starts in the back 3.

6. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Boswell out for this game?...or the 8/6 game?

~worm~

7. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    8/6

8. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's out for the Chicago match. USOC doesn't count towards MLS suspensions.

9. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder if Kuykendall will get some good playing time in this one?

10. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    I don't see why we cant win this one by 2 or 3.
    <-- will be handing out shin-guards with the anti-ABMOD ankle protecters later in the week.

I am amped for this one, despite generally hating U of R stadium.

Mark

11. cherno

cherno New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    I'll take a crack at the lineup;

-------------Rimando-----------
    Prideaux-------Bozz-------Wilson
    --------Carroll/Kuykendall-------
    Olsen---------Simms--------Gros
    -------------------Adu---------
    --------Tino--------------------
    -----------------Walker--------

Subs (do we bring 5?): Perkins, Carroll/Kuykendall, Moreno, Namoff, Kuffour

Let Gomez heal that hernia. Let Jaime have a rest as well, bring him off the bench to start the second half if we need some offense. Possibly give Namoff a few more minutes off the bench. I suppose if we weren't too worried about Richmond we could start Kuffour up top and slide Tino back to Olsen's spot and give Bennie a rest as well, but given the way the game went last year, I'd prefer to start something a little closer to our strongest team. If Kuykendall starts does he play at the D-Mid position or up higher at the holding mid?

12. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Unlike various folks above I don't see United starting it's regulars outside of Boswell. Two reasons for this:

- The schedule gets really busy starting with this game

- The subs have for the first time lots of game experience from the reserve matches. In fact MLS teams this year have a a big advantage over every year previous with these reserve matches.

So here's a stab at a lineup without knowing about some injuries:

-----------------Perkins

-------Namoff---Boswell----Merritt/Stokes

---------------Kuykendall

Van Sicklen-----Simms-------Thompson

-----------------Adu

-------Kuffour----------Walker

The defense might be different in that whoever might be the central defender in Saturday's Fire game might get (some) playing time there.

And I can imagine seeing Nickell and Arena at some point.

Also I think with Nowak starting Quaranta and not Adu vs Chelsea, he tipped his hand that Tino will be a normal starter now at forward. Thus he stays on the bench for this game, at least to start. I can imagine Tino playing though. Not Gomez or Moreno though. They stay glued to the bench.

Look folks: these games traditionally have had MLS teams use their reserve players. DCU did that last year and have done it for years. Why change that now?

Realize I say this knowing full well that United must make Richmond suffer for what they did to Ocean City last round. We shall water the U of Richmond field with the blood of the Kickers!!!!!!!

13. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I agree with Ursula. Get ready for a lot of backups (and of course, the requisite Adu PT in the 2nd half.)

14. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    so this won't be audio webcast on DCunited.com?

poop.

i kinda figured that there wouldnt be tv coverage, but planned on yelling at my computer listening to the game.

15. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Never been there and not sure I can go until day of game: Expecting a sell-out? Tickets available at gate?

16. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    Usually not sold out in yrs past.
    I have never had a problem getting tickets at the game.
    Mark

ETA: seating is "General Admission".

17. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    I think you have good points, but I think Piotr's attitude towards the game is the big question.

He has an MLS Cup as a coach, so nothing new there (though I expect him to go for another).

He was not able to get the CC earlier this year.

He has a chance to win the USOC as a coach (and then get the MLS Cup too).

Piotr is a very driven person so I think he will take this game very seriously. I think that with the exception of those that are injured, we'll see our 1st team on the field. He may even take Gomito just in case.

I see:
    ---------------------Nicky------------------
    Brandon/Brian------Boz------------Wilson
    ----------Benny-----------Symms---------
    Gros-----------------Adu-------------Dema
    --------Moreno----------(gag)Tino--------

If Namoff doesn't start, he'll see time in the 2nd.

-dave

18. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    The game definitely won't sell out since the stadium can hold 22,000. The Kickers are pushing hard to reach the 10K plateau though.

Right now Richmond is in the midst of a terrible offense run. We've scored 4 goals in the run of play since the end of May, and two more on penalties. Of course, the defense has tightened up as well. Our last four games have been 0-1, 0-0, 0-0, and 0-0, with the one being an own goal we scored. The last two games were on the road this weekend against Rochester and Toronto.

The majority of our lineup is probably set for the game. Some of the guys might be fighting fatigue due to the long road trip doubleheader, but our central midfielders, New Zealand international Tim Brown and, of course, Richie, will be fresh since both of them were suspended for both games due to a second eclipsing of the yellow card accumulation barrier. I'd like to see Cowlishaw put this lineup on the field

-----------------Pascale--------------------
    TWilliams----Knight------Luzak------Fox-----
    ---------------RWilliams--------------------
    -----Carrieri-----------------Gorres---------
    ----------------Brown---------------------
    -----------Cephas---------Jeffrey-----------

He's been in the habit of using one of two pairs of strikers at a time, either Cephas/Jeffrey or Delicate/Carrieri, although rookie striker Robert Ssejjemba from Uganda is also quite good and essentially a Cephas clone.

As always though, a lot of the match is going to depend on what sort of team Nowak sends onto the pitch. If the first choice is out there, United should win easily. However, throwing a predominantly reserve squad onto the field might lead me to, possibly in a homer pick. believe that Richmond would be their equal if not slightly favored. Obviously its probably going to be something in the middle, but I really feel that this game is going to be decided late no matter what, with extra time a real possibility.

Oh, and when considering lineups and the bench, don't forget that in USOC play each team gets 4 substitutions, rather than the 3 in MLS play.

19. badgoalie85

badgoalie85 New Member

Jul 24, 2005
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Is anyone getting a group of people together to go to this game? I might just have to call out of work to head down there.

20. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    see threads on main board about SE van and on the Barra board (under supporters sub-group) for information on rides/carpools (convoy)

21. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus New Member

Feb 24, 2003
    Shady Thicketts
    The attendance at this game might mean the difference between the Kickers staying in Division 1 or moving down to Division 2 next year in order to cut down on the operating costs. So a big attendance and a win gets them another home game against an MLS, w/ another decent attendence.

I think Richmond will play their best game of the year on Wednesday, and and if Novak plays the DC reserves, United will go away empty. If Peter takes this game seriously, the boys in red and black should win it.

22. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, Doug Hicks confirmed there will be an audio webcast at www.dcunited.com

K

23. moreno9

moreno9 Member+

Aug 24, 2002
    Henrico
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :mad: That's not good news. While I would go to games here no matter what division they play in I enjoy the fact I get to see First Division games in addition to all the United games I go up to.
    And I wasn't aware this rumor was floating around until now.
    I predict United exacting revenge for last year's loss and coming away 3-1 or 3-0.

24. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus New Member

Feb 24, 2003
    Shady Thicketts
    Well, I shouldn't have said this since it was only a rumor to me when I first heard it a few months back. I think it has to do w/ all the extra money in traveling this year because it's a single table. I know teams like Vancouver and Rochester have oodles of money, but many teams like Richmond and Va. Beach just can't keep up financially. My apologies for starting the rumor on these boards.

I've been going to Kickers games for 10 years, and they are a 1st class organization in every step of the way. Hopefully these are just rumors and they'll be around to take on DC for the 3rd straight year in the Cup.

25. moreno9

moreno9 Member+

Aug 24, 2002
    Henrico
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No apologies needed. It's a fact of business that can't be ignored. When you have some of the lowest ticket prices and attendances in the league and have to travel just as much as everyone else, to a certain extent it's writing on the wall. With Rob Ukrop no longer on the team I don't see Ukrop's being a sponsor long term and I think that has had a lot to do with them lasting as long as they have.

Sorry folks, now back to our regularly scheduled programming. :)