Official DC United @ New York Red Bulls PRE Match & PBP Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Apr 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Re: Official DC United @ New York Red Bulls PRE Match Thread

This is 100% the lineup I was going to post. Nowak would be absolutely crazy not to start Eskandarian, Moreno, Adu, and Gomez in this one.

PS I'm glad the Kahn signing went through, maybe we can stop all the goalie complaint threads around here. ;)

2. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd be curious to see how nowak lines up this week. Freddy vs Wynne was a wash in the first outing, but Esky was able to get by pretty regularly.

I think Ursula has the lineup right, but I would say prideaux gets the start due to the fact that probably freddy and esky in front of him will not be coming back too much so we need a stay at home type there. It also lets us move very easily into a 3man backline. Altho I wouldn't be upset is wilson starts since he is the only one with a chance of catching buddle if he escapes.

Carroll and olsen are really on point this year, and guevara/youri will have to play a little defense to counter freddy and gomez against them.

I suspect if we get an early goal it could be a landslide if they push numbers forward and freddy, gomito, jaime, esky get room to run thru open space...

3. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA

I like your starting 11, but as I said early I'd like to see Freddy and Gros flip flop on the left and right. I just don't like the Adu-Wynne matchup. Of course Nowak may choose to have Freddy and Gros switch sides in-game.

Dead on about Meola being their best player. RSL just was taking it to them last week. Meola has made some big saves in each of the first three weeks. Hell, he shut down two one on one chances against us.

4. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United

Agreed, but I'd switch Freddy and Esky because a) Freddy showed he can do ok over there and b) Keep Freddy the hell away from Wynne

5. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA

Please not Kahn. That guy is so old. he doesn't even start for his national team.

6. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

Kahn hates Captain Kirk/Franz Beckenbauer so naturally he was honored to take a pay cut of mammoth proportions just to screw the swamp team. :)

7. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

Yeah- You and spidergoose are right; I wasn't thinking much of the other team's set up.

8. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i think as long as esky plays wide enough to "occupy" wynne, then freddy can work that sideline as well.

We were able to isolate wynne 1v1 pretty much throughout the game. Freddy stalemated, and esky was able to get by pretty often.

What I'd like to see is what wynne does when presented with multiple options. Does he stay with his man? pick up the overlapping runner? does he help out inside? stay outside? etc.

9. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Me too.
    Freddy is a veteran and Wynne is a rookie 3 games into his career.
    Now, if they would only put Johnny Walker in goal.:D

10. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

Exactly. I think Skip's lineup is perfect.

Let Wynne have to take his pick on Eskandarian or Freddy, and the other floats free or causes NY to overcompensate and help in the back which opens up the middle and right side of the field for Moreno, Gomez, Olsen, and Gros.

The only change I might have is something like this:

-----------------Oliver Kahn v 2.0

-------Erpen---------Boswell---------Pridson
    Gros
    ------------Olsen---------Carroll---------

----------------------Gomez-------Fred
    -------------Moreno
    ------------------------Esky

This maximizes the defensive cover for Adu which should help pin Wynne deeper and it also balances the attack a little more because Olsen is in the slot to take shots from distance and doesn't leave an offensive dearth as Gros moves up the field on overlaps.

Have Carroll focus on Guevara with Benny scrapping it up with Amado as a helper. I'd also have Boswell a tad deeper in his semi-sweeper role and have Erpen and Prideaux pinched in a little bit marking Buddle and Djorkaeff.

A huge key to this game is getting Guevara as far away from the DC goal as possible. United has had tons of success in this strategy before, but NY has also tried to compensate for it. The fact that Djorkaeff can pin the upper corner from about 40 yards and in on free kicks makes it that much more important not to let Flipper get close enough. So how do you do it? The key is the midfield triangle of Carroll, Olsen, and Gomez. Out of these three, the most important might actually be Christian. It's got to be his job the whole game to deny the simple entry pass from either of NY's center backs or their right back to Amado or whoever else they play in central mid. Olsen can take care of cutting off the passes from Red Bulls' left back and it's Carroll's job to make sure Amado is covered and the passing lane is clogged. If Guevara gets the ball around midfield and gets around Carroll, it's definitely worth a few professional fouls 60 yards from goal to take away any advantages of Guevara/Youri/Buddle working together in the attacking third.

11. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United

Not like we were angels on our trips up to RFK North. We dropped our fair share of F You Metros chants. A few chants does not give someone the right to be beat someone over the head with a bottle.

12. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United

No need to change our tactics for this one. Do what we always do against Red Bull. Have Benny and Carroll clog the middle and frustrate Guevara and Jerkoff. They come back deeper to get more touches on the ball and this leaves Buddle isolated up top where he has shown he can't produce anything except turning over the ball. Play Freddy on the opposite side of whichever side Wynne is on and he can be productive...I like Freddy dribbling at Mendes much more than trying to get past Wynne.

13. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

No, but it does give you a giant clue as to why someoene was hit in the head w/a bottle in the first place.

14. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva

Taunting=allowed, we do it so who are we to complain
    Assault= criminal act, go to jail

Anyway, keep the dribblers away from Wynne. That's what we switched at halftime in game 1 and it worked. No occupying or overlapping, just stay away from that Wynne guy with the dribble. Let Jos Gros give him a hard time. Same starting 11 and formation as the Houston game, except maybe Esky for Filomeno.

15. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

I don't see how Nowak could start Lucio over Alecko this week.

16. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To play Lucio's advocate...

Maybe Nowak knows that Esky can't possibly go 90.
    Maybe Nowak thinks that with everyone fresh, Filo's ability to play with his back to the goal is important.
    Maybe Nowak thinks that Esky will be more effective running at a second half defense.

Notice I'm not saying Filo has been as exciting as Esky or as dangerous.
    I'm just sayin' there might still be some good reasons to start Filomeno.

17. dcuinvermont

dcuinvermont Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Burlington VT

Boswell can probably take Mr. DWI out of his game like he took Ching out. I think Esky in the first half and maybe up to 70 would be better that Filomeno, who might be able to have an impact if he is fresh in the last 20. He needs a goal to get going.
    I don't expect a lot of goals like 2 years ago, probably 1-0 (good guys), but would be happy with a 6-2 blowout.

18. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's a good point. Boswell is an upgrade over Prideaux in the middle. Also the defensive communication should be sharper now that they'll be entering Game 4. And it'll be the second look at the team, so there should be no surprises.

19. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As long as Peter and Co. and their team of legalese experts have reviewed the Laws of the Game from first to last and made sure there aren't any more ways to cheat--- erm, I mean, interpret the rules.

Then there should be no surprises. ;)

20. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Whats the weather report?

:confused:

~worm~

21. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Saturday
    04/22/2006 Sunrise: 6:07 am UV Index: 5, Moderate Sunset: 7:43 pm
    Moonrise: 3:30 am Phase: Waning Crescent Moonset: 1:39 pm
    ............................High.............Low
    ....Saturday:............57................50
    Showers (highly) possible. Highs in the upper 50s and lows in the low 50s.

22. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Goose, this kind of thinking is for losers. Fred can take him more times than not. Don't forget that Wynne expended a LOT of energy marking Fred, and it surely allowed Esky's runs to find space.

NO EFFING PRISONERS, UNITED!!! Bury Bozo Bulls!! Anything less would be .... uncivilized.

GM

23. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United

No, it's strategy. Why try to force our best dribbler against their best defender when there's another option?

24. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Moreno was clearly gassed from the Bolivia flight, Gomez was suspended, and Perkins got his Gaffe-Of-The-Season every good keeper is entitled to (remember Pat Onstad's bizarre own goal a few seasons ago?) out of the way. I expect us to be sharper Saturday; I do not expect the same from NY.

25. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva

Fred took him exactly 0 (zero) times on the dribble in game one. He slipped behind Wynne on a give-and-go once, that was it.

Esky provided some danger- and a great goal- when he was in the box like a striker.