Official DC United-Metrostars Playoff Leg 1 Postmatch Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by SABuffalo786, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    United could have put up 4 of 5 if Dema could hit the broad side of a barn last night, or learn how to finish a breakaway when the keeper has committed himself severely.

2. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    It will be replayed Tuesday from 3-5 p.m. on FSW. I am taping this sucker (somehow, my TV went on the fritz and I got two hours of The Joe Gibbs Show instead of the game!).

Looks like the offside trap that the Metros set was to have been around the 36-yard line, but the far-side guy was at the 34. If he had been going forward whilst Stewart was on the dead run, it could have been onside.

WE NEED TORRENTS!

3. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    That's easy because his bangs cover his eyes so much he can't see. Kinds of like Cousin Itt Jr.

4. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a game!

As an DC transplant to NYC, I got home and taped the MSG replay of the game, wearing my still sweaty Olsen long-sleeved jersey.

They showed a total of 3.97 seconds of the DC supporters and althought not visually present for the entire broadcast, the partisans cound not edit out the chants.

JP Delacamera said and I quote: You can hear the DC supporters chanting "Who's your Daddy."

I hope that Comcast did us more justice.

5. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    To be fair.... the ESC had that same chant last night... So I am not sure if JP could actually tell which side was chanting it at which particuliar time.

6. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Im pretty sure he was talking about after we took the lead 2-0, it was probably us because it looked like the entire ESC left after the Esky goal..

7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Ok. Then that was probably yours. :)

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Nah. Those were the people who needed to catch the NJ Transit bus. :eek:

9. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Just a little... you should get a tape of it :D

10. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Spin it however ya want, it looked like the second book of the bible from where I was standing.

11. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I should've taped the comcast version instead of the FSW version :(

12. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Bulshi&. The buses run for an hour after the game. No one needed to leave early to catch a bus.
    Both supporters groups sounded awesome, especially in the 1st half. Props to all.

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Good job picking up on the little emoticon which I kindly provided at the end of my sentence........

14. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Maybe, but in our case it's true.

15. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    That's the best shot to look at, and it makes it clear that Earnie almost certainly was onside. The football lines are a big assist in this.

When Nelsen kicks the ball, he is at the "DC" 43. The camera pans down the field, and in the lower right corner, next to the Metro defender, you see a little blob of white. If you take it frame by frame from there, you see that the little blob is Earnie. He is really seen between the "Metro" 40 and 35 yard line -- not yet at the 35, and the ball has been kicked. In the next couple of frames, you see the far side and there are two Metro defenders on the 35 yard line at the top of the screen, with DC United player between them. They are on the 35, the all has been kicked,and Earnie hasn't reached the 35 yet, although he's blown by the close defender. They aren't running. They're standing there watching the play putting their hands in the air to signal offside. But they are ahead of Earnie. The DC player at the top was actually in an offside position; he was a step ahead of the two Metro defenders, but presumably that was passive offsides.

16. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can understand.

I know how you like taller men.

17. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I think Payne is only taller compared to your. :)

18. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was right after the first goal. It is probably fair to say at that time it was DC. Or a very optimistic Metrofan. :p

19. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think I may fit that description..

Um, that guy did not happen to have a black coat on with just a DC scarf standing front and center? Kind of freckly? Because much like lynard skynard, I was letting the 'freebird' fly many times last night ;)

edit: after reading through the thread, it was probably not me, thank goodness. last time tv caught me giving the bird a friend from church called me on it ;)

20. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Fixed your post! :)

It's true. From 56:28-:31 MSG showed the ESC, and that was the only time I saw them on camera. La Barra, La Norte and La Eagle were on for much longer. And on the Comcast broadcast there were several more shots of the crowd that MSG didn't use. Especially when Esky put the ball into the crowd. MSG ran a replay. CSN showed us retrieving it. I think they had our end miked a little better on Comcast than they did on MSG.

It was at the 70th minute mark when they subbed in Gros. JP wondered where they "learned" that chant and Shep gave us mad props about the number and quality of the DC supporters. They cut to the DC crowd and just missed the "Who's Your Daddy" banner being stowed again. Pretty sad when the home broadcast doesn't even acknowledge their own supporters groups either on camera or by mentioning them.

Not much more I can add to the commentary. We brought it to NJ. Enough said.

Thx,

Jay!

21. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I don't mean to take a cheap shot or diss the "other", supporter group... but I never heard them the whole night... not even when we weren't chanting... :confused:

Then again... I was standing right next to the big bombo... :D

I did hear the f'n ANNOYING AS F'K PA system... :mad:

22. Maniac

Maniac Member

Dec 21, 2000
    Washington DC
    They were there.

Not very happy though...

I'd like to thank Freddy - (can't remember his last name) - He bailed me out on the field. I had some camera problems and he hooked me up so I could take at least a few shots in the first half.

Great win for DC, and great to see the SE's, BB's and LN on the stands making some noise - The team certainly seemed to appreciate you guys being there. It was fantastic hearing you chanting "Who's you're Daddy".

23. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Hopefully next year I'll have my digital camera and will be on the field shooting for everyone. Actually, I can't wait!

24. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My only worry about all of this is getting overconfident. We all can safely assume that the Scum are going to throw everything they have at us plus some on Saturday, and while I think we can beat them I dont want to tempt fate!

25. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    Lisi and the King Of Goals

Among the easily-missed little treasures from the game: a very bored-looking Mark Lisi :cool: and a very P.O.d-looking Sergio Galvan-Rey :( standing together, waiting to enter the match together. Lisi says something to Galvan-Rey. Galvan-Rey pouts and looks away. :( Lisi looks away like he doesn't give a crap that Galvan Rey is looking away. :cool: Don't know why I find that pairing so funny.