Official DC United @ Columbus Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by roadkit, Jul 2, 2005.

1. dyferrent

dyferrent New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Whether or not Adu plays enough defence, he still has a ways to go about being an attacking midfielder of the caliber necessary to lead the US deep into the World Cup. Unless we switch to a Dutch 4-3-3 or a more Brazilian-style of play Adu will have to learn to track back OR play Withdrawn striker.

If I were to compare Adu to Messi the one thing I'd say is that Messi knows how to hold the ball with a defender on his back a lot better than Adu. Granted Messi is 2 years older, a bit wider, but definitely the same or comparative height.

Adu will not show very well vs. Adults until he's adapted his game to a style that will be successful regardless of his size. When to dribble, when not to, how fast to play. That stuff will come in time. Unfortunately, the hype that came with his signing will not allow him to be treated as a 16 year old player. He should be making mostly reserve appearances.

2. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last season late collapse was partially blamed on a lack of vetern leadership not so much that the young guys didn't perform. Leadership as in MLS experiance, players with a history of winning championships, ..the usuall garbage.

Razov and Meola..no not really. Both were brought in to either solve a problem(true forward) on the field or off it(Walker).

Goose yes. That might be the only reason we got him.

Youri..no he was mostly brought in because of his petigree and he was willing to play here. He has been a great addition in ways that go beyond his performance on the field.

3. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All this metroscum bradley horsesh!t makes me want to barf. Take talk of that cheatin sob someplace else, please.

GM

4. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess im not invited to the next tailgate. :rolleyes:

5. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Really? Let's look at the performance of the youngsters down the stretch last year.

Gaven: Two goals in the last twelve games after five in the first seventeen.
    Magee: One goal since the middle of June.
    Parke: Hint - Esky's left-footed.
    Clark: Invisible
    Taylor & Glen: Played intermittently with no impact, although Glen had a couple of nice games in September
    Vaca: Became Ziadie's replacement at right back (out of position)

Translation: Bradley didn't do their job in getting the young players to step up.

Yes, he has. I've been very impressed with him. Are you going to credit Bradley with his development, too?

6. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh, a 16 year-old who's making 6 figures per year probably would be. :p Does anybody know if he's home schooled or goes to a regular high school. He's probably getting so much tail if he's going to a regular school! :cool:

7. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    He went to the IMG Academy in Bradenton, the residency thingy. (I think Michelle Wie went there too, among others?) He was on an accelerated track and graduated a couple years ago.

He is getting plenty of ass as is I imagine. (Jojo, for starters)

8. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Accelerated track?! He was 14 when he graduated?! He's fvcking Pele and Doogie Houser all rolled up into one?! :p

9. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    That's because Jaime wasn't there not passing him the ball.

10. wjones3044

wjones3044 Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Borinquen
    Sacred cow?

[​IMG]

11. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Originally Posted by Lloyd Heilbrunn
    Or you could actually sub Moreno,who seems to be a scared cow...

Oops. I guess that's why my secretary does my non message board typing....:)

12. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    I did not get to see the match. Yes, he plays for the Cows, but did Knox Cameron make any impressions in his 5 minutes or so on the field? I wonder what DCU could do with a big guy like this up front. The guys is big and skilled and might not cost much to acquire. Last year he was a preseason All-American, but spent the fall rehabbing a knee. He appears to be healthy. He would definitely add a new dimension to the DC attack. Any thoughts?

(Go Blue! :D )

13. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Real Mobile, welcome to the boards first off, even though it says you joined in September of last year, we haven't seen you around these parts much.

In regards to Cameron, I'm in complete agreement with you. I was very dissapointed that United didn't give him a look and with how far he fell in the draft because of injury concerns, it doesn't seem like he would've been a worse choice than the (ironically now injured) Tim Merritt.

Regardless, Knox didn't show too much in his short stint during the game, but then again, only a player or two from the Crew showed anything the entire match. I think that Cameron can turn into a real threat in MLS and would love to see him in the Black and Red rather than the yellow of Columbus.

14. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Thanks for the welcome. I guess I've been one of those lurking voyeurs for the past few years. You can find a little insight and humor here. I guess I've been too lazy to post much, and maybe I'm leary of getting jumped and not really having the time to defend myself if someone disagrees with me. :rolleyes:

I would think that Guppy to Cameron could be a legitimate threat. After acquiring the Argentine rock for the backline, picking up a poorman's Eddie Johnson might be the next building block. Cameron could be a contender. I think he comes from the metros' region, but he'd have to be happier in DC. :p

15. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Cameron's been getting a fair amount of playing time for a rookie. He scored vs Universidad Catolica. He is a mainstay of the reserve side. He is usually employed back to goal as a target man. His shooting needs work and he isn't a very good dribbler. His passing is ok. There are several other players on the reserves that I would give first team PT to over Knox but he has good size and Greg seems to like him. If we ever get a new coach, he could be available in a trade.

16. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I would rather have Sutton than Cameron.

17. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    I can't say that I know much about him, but maybe DC needs another 5'-9" forward? :rolleyes: Sutton looks to have some speed and potential, but I'd like to see what DC could do with someone like:

name: Knox Cameron
    position: F
    height: 6-3 weight:201 :eek:
    Birthdate: September 17, 1983
    Hometown: Bronx, NY

A physically imposing forward and fouryear starter at Michigan who finished his career as the school’s all-time leader in both goals (28) and points (72)... Was the Big Ten Conference Player of the Year and a NSCAA thirdteam All-America selection as a junior (2003), when he set a school record with 33 points on 12 goals and nine assists... Was a member of the U.S. U-20 and U-18 National Teams.

Hmmm... scoring off free kicks and corners might be fun! :D

18. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I fully understand your position. But watching both players yesterday, Knox is bigger, Sutton is a soccer player.

19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Sutton is a better player than Cameron. He can't get first team time from Andrulis but his prospects should improve when we get our new coach. I wouldn't trade him away. Sutton usually moves around on the reserve side from left to right and back to front. He has scored 6 goals and has a good finishing touch. Cameron sprays his shots all over.

The DC match was the low point for our reserves and Sutton didn't play his best. He still got a goal on a good individual play.

20. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be very cautious about assessing the skills of any player on the Crew under present conditions. The comparisons would just be too much affected by factors such as morale, inept coaching, and overall suckitude.

21. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Sutton sounds like a legit prospect for certain, but I really doubt even the Crew would let him go.

Let's not forget Columbus' previous ridiculous trade discussions, like trading United's entire draft to get the rights to sign Dante Washington. :rolleyes:

I'd love to see Cameron on DC's roster, but I don't see it happening.

22. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I say we take up a collection at the next home game. Call it the "Greg Andrulis Salary Fund". Then we can offer it to Columbus to pay his salary to make sure he stays their coach.

As one of their fans said at the reserve game on Sunday, "Martino getting ejected gave Andrulis another sub to play with". Every time he takes out Martino I never understand why. Except that he's a f-ing idiot.

Thx,

Jay!

23. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    All things must past. The Cows need a coach and will eventually act on that. That's when DC makes their move and gives them rights to Hudson for Knox Cameron. Everybody wins! :D
    Don't you think ol Ray would make a heck of a cowboy?
    MLS rules must give DC rights to Hudson for a couple of years and entitle them to compensation. It's only fair, right? ;)

24. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Hudson would be one of the few suitable replacements for Andrulis.

25. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    I think Hudson would be GREAT for Columbus actually. Give 'em a coach with some fire. Create some excitement.