Official DC United @ Chicago Fire POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Jun 29, 2005.

1. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I agree. It was a total farce of a match.

I watched KC-COL instead. What a soul-sucking experience that was!
    At least they ended up in a draw, playing before (maybe) 2500 people.

2. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Wait when did you become a DC fan, Stan?

3. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, Willie, fess up. Vodka cannot, repeat cannot, be made from sugar cane. True, you can make vodka from old socks and get away with it, but sugar cane= rum. Straighten me out, por favor.

4. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Well, I was there and saw every disgusting minute of it.

A couple of things:

1) The penalty on the last Fire goal was completely soft. Just awful. We had a perfect view of it. Rolfe blows by Stokes (stop me if you've heard this before) and crosses over to Jaqua. He and Boz are going for the ball and Jaqua ends up on the pitch. Not only could Jaqua not have reached the ball, but the contact was minimal at best. It was an extremely soft call.

2) United has 1 3/4 healthy defenders. Boz is 1, Wilson is 3/4 and there isn't another until Namoff is healthy. Stokes didn't give up a goal, but good lord he was shaky. Rolfe's speed gave him all kinds of problems.

3) Nana is for real. He gave Chicago all kinds of problems. I don't know that he's a 90 minute player and he got lost a bit in the second half when everyone was pushing forward. He tracked back a lot and it took a few minutes for he and Gomez to not step on each other, but he did what Esky did so effectively last year -- he got the ball going towards the goal.

4) Simms or Carroll, pick one. United controlled the ball for big stretches of the first half (so much so that you can say 3-1 at the half was very much against the run of play), but they looked more dangerous when there weren't two guys in the holding role.

5) Jamil Walker, thanks for playing. If Walker goes far post instead of directly at Thornton, this game ends 4-4. If Nana is now in the mix, there's no way Walker plays anything but garbage time.

6) Freddy changes a game. United looked much more dangerous with him in there. Period.

7) Remember when we were all wondering if Dave Sarachan should be the next United coach? When you go to bed tonight, thank whatever higher power you happen to believe in that didn't happen. He started bunkering at halftime. I said to a buddy who was with me, jokingly, that I be he adds a defender at the start of the second half and, sure enough, here came CJ Brown for Thiago.

The downside? The defense is wayyyyyy too shaky to even think about a repeat right now.

The upside? The road drought is over in a huge way.

5. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA

vodka can be made from anything that ferments.

6. shepchews

shepchews Member

Apr 28, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was able to get to the game tonight and see it in person. IT was very frustrating. DC was , by far, the more creative, dangerous team. You just had the feeling that if they'd played 18- instead of 90 minutes DC would have won without a problem. Even when they went up 4-2 there was no sense the game was over.

Kuffor played very well, very quick and absolutely fearless around the ball.

Moreno is just a joy to watch.

Prideaux's mistake was one of the worst errors I have seen a professional make. There were ten things he could have done with the ball.....he did (trying a thirty yard pass to Boswell across the mouth of the goal) the only thing that could have led to a goal for chicago.

Fat Zach is a pig.

THe amosphere at Soldiers Field is atrocious. Section 8 is a joke. There couldn't have been more than 6,000 there. You literally could hear the players yelling to each other up in the stands.

7. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    Many thanks for the onsight report. Repped.

8. shepchews

shepchews Member

Apr 28, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The DC PK was a through ball from Kuffor to Adu, Adu pushed the ball around Fatty Boy and Dough-Nut Head grabbed his ankle.

9. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Yeah, it was pretty pathetic.

There has been jack squat in the way of marketing around town.

Section 8 needs a new songbook. The one word thing they kept singing was just awful.

10. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

It was a pretty clear call. Fat Boy got pissy when Jaime picked it out of the net again.

11. shepchews

shepchews Member

Apr 28, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that Jamie was careful to get the ball that was cool.

I am starting to think that Giant Ass has got some sort of weird OCD thing about touching the ball. At the start of the second half he held up the game and ran out ot midfield to hold the ball before the start of play. Weird.

12. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    It's a joke. They yammer on about what great supporters they are and they drone on and on with the one song.

When my wife is trying to annoy me, she sings "DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC, DC," in that stupid melody until I run out of the room screaming.

Oh wait, I lie.

They also yell "You suck, a**hole!" on every goal kick by the opposition.

13. evanpemsocr

evanpemsocr New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Rocky Mount, Va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where was Esky? was he simply left at home because of his poor play this year?

14. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    Probably still recovering from his concussion.

Or maybe left at home due to poor play. Who knows...

15. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Me either. My power was out from about 8:00 pm until about 4:00 am (which is when the TV started playing ;) )

If there was any time I was happy that a game wasn't on tv, it was last night.

I still hate Kevin Terry though.

16. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    RFK Midwest. ;)

17. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't let monster here you say that ;)

18. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    And it doesn't look like "Namoff" and "healthy" are going to be in the same sentence anytime soon:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/29/AR2005062902808.html

CHICAGO, June 29 -- D.C. United defender Bryan Namoff will be sidelined for an "extended period of time" with what is believed to be a groin or abdominal injury, team officials said Wednesday.

19. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i'm not sure this really condems stokes. it would seem rolfe has caused all kinds of problems to everyone in the league and it wouldn't seem stokes at fault for any goals. a quicker guy like is likely to be a hard match up for stokes.

20. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Listening to a game live is just maddening. I went from "WALKER JUST TIED IT UP" sprint around my living room to what WHAT? And am so jealous of anybody that was able to take off today and nurse a hangover. work is not going to be fun.

21. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    Thiago was injured at the half and had to come off. He had no other offensive midfielder types as options. The rest of the bench at that moment was Caballero (D), Griffin (D), Reiter (F), Barrett (F), Stewart (D), John (M/F with 0 appearances this year), and Herron (F).

At this moment, you're 5-5-4 and have conceded 19 goals in 14 games.

One year ago, you were 4-5-5 and had conceded 19 goals in 14 games. How'd last year work out for ya?

;)

22. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    About a month ago

23. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At least they didn't charge $5 a seat and still not get the 6000. :eek:

24. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    What does she sing when she's not trying to annoy you?

25. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    More than anything, I have to say I was impressed by the Fire anouncer. He was pretty good and not too much of a homer. In fact he seemed surprised that they got the second PK, made comments against Fat Boi waiting for Jaime's PK, and then got a laugh at his reaction to Gomito kicking the ball away after the PK. He also mentioned a few fouls in our favor that Terry called play on that he seemed surprised didn't stop play (I remember one was on Dema). Finally he seemed shocked that Walker's goal was called back, and I never did catch an explanation of why.

It's pretty bad when even the home teams anouncer gives the impression that he thinks the away team is being screwed. Since I couldn't see it for myself, I will just come away happy that we found the net and Nana scoring in his first MLS game is big (if he plays the Cows and can do it again, it may turn into his spot to loose).

-dave