[OFFICIAL] David Beckham Joins The Galaxy Thread Part 2

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by profiled, Jan 17, 2007.

1. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Easily, I did.

With Beckham, no.

With Ronaldo I and all other TRUE Madrid fans could careless.

Yes this has been a negative run, but we are REAL MADRID and will bounce back.

Beckham although a hard working player which I've defended on the RM board wasn't a La Liga type player. He didn't deserve a starting place and therefore was benched.

Our only wrong doing was our president (who by the way talks out his ass) and our egotistical but successful coach dogging Becks through the media.

Ronaldo was a lazy, selfish, out of shape, injury prone player who could careless about the club and it's fans. We all wanted him gone and are thankful he isn't in our shirt anymore. He was a great but the way he let his career tank off really put '?' on his "legend".

Capello is and egotistical, no nonsense, successful coach. Mourinho would of done the same thing, minus a couple verbal thrashing here and there.

2. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, but the new manager of the Bavarians ought to make a difference, and he has a history of success as well. He doesnt even bad mouth his players:eek:

But as far as Hiddink goes, I think Otmar Hitzfeld may have something to say about who is actually the manager of Bayern:D

3. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Sorry I don't really care to follow Bayern.

Your new boss is Hitzfeld, regardless you guys got blownout by a minnow team and have no right to point fingers at us.

4. 00becks

00becks New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Limerick, Ireland
    Club:
    Sheffield United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Yo I am a big Beckham fan from his days at Manchester United. He is one of the most recognizable sportsman in the world. From a truly global perspective his image and name are as big as anything else in sports. I am really interested and intrigued to see the effect he has on USA soccer but I expect him to deliver the goods both on and off the pitch. It was time for him to leave RM. You cannot say he was a failiure there but he did not exactly replicate his Man U successes. Bring on America.

I came across this site http://www.lagalaxynews.com when I was surfing the other day. It links to loads of constantly updated Galaxy, MLS and other soccer stories. Worth checking out.

P.S. Check out the Beckham Superbowl commercial here.
    http://www.ifilm.com/video/2819646

5. coldcarib

coldcarib New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    España via Darlo
  6. la-galaxy90

la-galaxy90 New Member

Feb 10, 2007
    he's just been recalled to the madrid team, which will hopefully keep him in good condition.

7. Madridista7

Madridista7 New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Becks scored for Madrid from a direct free kick! He is easily the best player in the game also.

8. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Lol, you didn't watch the game did you?

Beckham although had a superb freekick was absent most of the game like Raul.

The best player was Torres and even the commentators agreed with that. :rolleyes:

9. Madridista7

Madridista7 New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Yes, I did watch the game, just as I watch every single Madrid game. Apart from his outstanding goal, Beckham was the hardest working player on the pitch. He had a great chip to RVN, who was unluckily caught offsides. He deserves a lot more credit than you are giving him. Putting aside the fact that scoring a goal after a dearth of goals for 217 minutes after being ostracized for a month is a major contribution in itself, he was great defensively as well. He made some nice tackles to help out Ramos and co.

Just because he has a different style of play than other players doesn't mean he's absent the whole game. He forms a great partnership with Van Nistelrooy, who works well off Becks' crosses, as does Ramos occasionally. You can't expect him to be 100% match fit, as it's his first game back in a month. Yet, he was the MOTM for me as well as many other Madridistas. Comparing his performance in today's game to that of Raul's is complete BS. He worked hard to get the ball, keep it, and feed it into the box.

Yes, I agree Torres also had a great game, but Beckham had a much better one.

10. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Wrong.

Beckham kept playing useless long balls and lost the ball a bit as well. He even disappeared COMPLETELY in the second half, the first time making an apperance he skied a FK then smacked Savio.

(The Beckham smack was priceless, I LOVED how he made Savio submit to him and shake his hand).

He played defensively because he wasn't getting forward well. Even the commentators commented that the WHOLE attack was going through Guti's side on the left and Beckham was literally invisible at times.

Wrong.

He and Ruud did little positive connecting. You make it seem as if Becks is carrying the team and send great crosses to Ruud who is just an idiot and missing.

That is wrong, in fact very wrong.

Most of the time Beckham was sending deep long balls to either there goal keeper or there backline. It was like he was just clearing the ball.

Who did? However he doesn't deserve a start, just like Raul, Emerson and probably Guti.

Which Madridistas said he was MOTM? Please show me.....

The man of the match was TORRES, who worked hard and never disappeared during the match. He was effective in keeping our win and even setting up the cross which Ruud headed in.

So technically Torres has a better relationship with Ruud than Beckham.

Yeah that was a stretch on my part but you make it seem like he was great. He wasn't, go read the Real Madrid board.

:confused:

A Real Madrid fan but doesn't post at all on the Madrid forum, however post on the L.A. Galaxy forum.... hmmm....

Well not really.

How? He had one of the highest turnovers?

Yep, straight to the goal keeper.

Or even to Soceidad's back line.

not one of Beckhams long crosses helped AT ALL. They just turned the ball over and helped Sociedad with their counter.

Don't be bias because you're a Beckham fan. Even the commentators said Torres was by far MOTM. After him it was the rest of our solid defense, Beckham, Ruud and Gago were after them.

11. Madridista7

Madridista7 New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Oh really? So the fact that 2 of the 4 shots on goal came from Beckham means that he's a completely useless player. :rolleyes:

I'm not talking about today's game. Ruud is a player who doesn't go past the defenders and take the ball into the box on his own. He relies on players to feed him the ball into the box, and that's exactly what Beckham does. Maybe he didn't do as much of it today as he can, but that's because it's his first game back in a month. Regardless, he still put on a great performance. Capello himself said that he had a great game, and it takes a lot to elicit such a response from Fabio, a man with a huge ego. Even if you don't agree, we are all entitled to our own opinions.

I agree that he didn't exactly deserve a start today, since he hasn't played in a match in about a month, but after today's performance, I would say he deserves a start. He showed a lot more on the pitch today than those three players put together.

I am a member of another forum, of which many members considered Beckham MOTM, with Torres a close second. Torres may have been effective in keeping the win, but without Beckham's first goal, it would have been an even harder fight to win. If they hadn't scored in the first half, it would be really tough. Even on the Madrid forum here at BigSoccer, I noticed someone who named him MOTM. Anyway, that's completely subjective, so I won't even bring that up.

It's completely irrelevant. In fact, I rarely post on Big Soccer at all. And I am actually reluctant to post on the Madrid forums here because many of the posters have such strong opinions and often have a very negative disposition.

I would rarely consider myself someone who would give Beckham undeserved praise just because I am a fan. First and foremost I support the club and laud players where it's due. And is the commentator you are referring to Ray Hudson on GolTV? I would hardly consider that a good source to corroborate your claim. And I wouldn't go so far as to call the defense in today's game "solid."

Anyway, I respect your opinion, but I have my own. I'm not going to waste my time arguing this anymore, because obviously neither of us are going to change what we think.

12. Keepbooks

Keepbooks New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Hahahahaaaaa! Notice they dubbed his voice so he sounds like a man ?

13. Richard@greatstone

Richard@greatstone New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Kent England
    If the people in the USA want to be taken seriously in the football world then getting David over there is a good start, raising the profile of FOOTBALL not SOCCER AMONGST THE 300.000.000 PEOPLE IS VITAL TO THE SUCESS OF THE GAME.
    After all it is the most played game in the world except in the USA where some people do not even know what it is about, something I find hard to understand. Just think the USA could win the world cup and be world champions of a sport that is played outside of America.
    I would be interested to see some games over there to see what standard it is played at and how it compares to the Premiership, hopefully SKY will screen a few.
    So good luck you lot.

14. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    One was from the FK (He took 4 which 2 sailed WAY OFF), the other one was from a wasted shot from near midfield.

Your point?

Also who said he was useless? I surely didn't, so don't put words in my mouth. Read exactly what I write and comment on that only. Leave the "made up stuff" out of this. :rolleyes:

I like Beckham and didn't like the fact that he was snubbed by Capello. Still he isn't a starter and would be a great sub.

Again, wrong.

If you have been watching the games you would have known that Beckham was in horrible form at the beginning of the season (why he was benched, yet Raul always escaped the bench.. hmm...).

There was no Beckham-Ruud connection that you said exist in fact Robinho, Guti, Reyes and even Ramos at RB has connected more with Ruud.

Also, Beckham has only one assist this year.

Scoring the first goal always is going to equate to praise, especially when we were on a drought.

However if you really are Real Madrid fan and follow the team, you would of seen that yesterday we played HORRIBLE. We had little to no offensive build up and were basically in shambles until Higuain and Reyes were brought on late.

Yet last we lost and played a quicker, better and with more continuity.

Weird, we play well and lose...
    We play horrible and scratch out a win...

Those three players shouldn't start either. ;)

Again, Beckham had a great FK and an even better bitch slapping of Savio. Still he wasn't great or good, he was regular at best and if not for the FK for a goal he would have been subbed.

Where is this forum.. show me.

Without Torres assist we wouldn't have won the game... would we have?

Let's face it.

The kid is a young guy from Castilla, and is playing with his heart out there. He made several GREAT tackles, broke up a couple of counters and even helped with the winning goal. This was an all around effort and even if he didn't assist the goal he would of still garnered praise, yet if Beckham didn't score the FK it would be the same.

Yeah, don't bring that one up.

Alot of guys don't watch the game and just read the score sheet and vote like that. If you didn't watch the game of course you wouldn't recoginze how well our back four was playing. Especially when our attack was crap and our back four and goal keeper (after his blunder) saved us from a ass whopping.

You yourself have strong opinions.. :p

Lol, not Ray, the other guy.

Also please do tell me how the defense wasn't solid? Please speak of actual lapses and times where it fell apart and don't just do the regular "It wasn't good, etc..."

Besides the Casillas blunder (which is solely on Casillas) the defense kept them out and did well. They played with a fire in them as well.

Yes, everybody is entitled to their own opinon however mine is unbias and yours seems very bias.

15. Madridista7

Madridista7 New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    I am not biased at all. I am usually critical of players when I think that they have underperformed. All the major sports newspapers in Madrid, including Marca, AS, and El Pais, are praising the way Beckham played last night. Here is an article that agrees that Becks had a good game:

If there were any lingering doubts over David Beckham's motivation ahead of his move to LA Galaxy, his match-winning performance against Real Sociedad on Saturday night should silence the last remaining doubters.
    Underdone after weeks stuck in the stands - and sidelined from first team training - Beckham was no passenger as he scored in Real Madrid's face-saving 2-1 victory and in the process gained some breathing space for coach Fabio Capello.

The former England captain's performance, all energy and verve, was in stark contrast to Capello's favourites, so riddled with doubt and diffidence. This was the player that Arsene Wenger, the Arsenal manager, had called on England to recall and the same that convinced AC Milan to table a pre-contract offer before he committed to Galaxy.

------------------
    Anyways, I'm done arguing this as I said earlier. I have better things to do.

16. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Again, these praises are due to the fact that he scored the FK. If he missed it like he missed the other 3 all these praises wouldn't be there.

Simply put.

17. RoyKeane

RoyKeane New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Beckham will be a major hit at The Galaxy, anyone who thinks any different is kidding themselves.

This is what you will be getting......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF9Pahclz3Y

Real Madrid never used Beckham wisely on the pitch in my opinion, still, it's their loss.

Off the pitch, Real Madrid used his popularity for their own benefit to the hilt, bringing in sponsership from around the world as borne out here.

Beckham is now in the biggest market place in the world, The Galaxy will benefit from him just being there let alone playing as well.

Good luck to The Galaxy, you have just gained a new fan, Me :)

18. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Of course, Beckham will be a hit for the Galaxy, and he hopefully will advance soccer in the U.S. by bringing more stars to the MLS to broaden the fan base and get more cable and public television coverage.

However, how did RM not use Beckham correctly? Do explain...

He was our main FK taker (made VERY few for us in his time with us). So do explain how we misused him. This should be interesting....

19. RoyKeane

RoyKeane New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Why should it be interesting?

Whenever I have seen Real Madrid on the box in Beckhams early days, you would see plenty of free kicks taken by Roberto Carlos which usually came to nothing anyway, plus I think it took a while for Beckham, not only to settle in, but also be accepted by his new team mates.

Not all free kicks reach their destination, but, Beckham is probably one of the world's best at dead ball situations.

When Beckham was at United, he was usually out on the right wing, but with a free role to roam into central positions. Whenever I have seen him playing for Real Madrid he usually stayed out on the wing which didn't seem to suit him that much and he wasn't involved so much, however, I have not seen Real Madrid play that much, thankfully :D

20. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    RC would take some in some situations while Beckham would take some in others. RC has scored just as much or a little less than Beckham, even though Beckham takes 90% of our FK's.

Excuse?

Well he hasn't scored much of those with Real Madrid.

I can tell just by reading this you haven't seen Madrid play and are just speaking. Beckham was used on the right wing and even in the center where he succeed well in his first 6 months in Spain.

He was well accepted by everyone except Figo and really go on well with his teammates.

I can tell....

Since you obviously don't know, why say something as ludicrous as "Beckham wasn't used appropriately by Madrid"?

Please next time be knowledgable about the subject before making accusations.

21. RoyKeane

RoyKeane New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe next time I will test you on something a bit more important like Manchester United, maybe then you might be a little less arrorogant.

22. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    I could careless about Man U. I never stated anything about Man U, however YOU stated a wrong and negative comment about Real Madrid, which I showed was wrong.

Live with it.

23. Messi

Messi Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but he did in fact make the goal. Sports are filled with "well if he didn't do this then no one would care" scenarios. That's what makes them great. You could say similar things about Ronaldinho: "Well if he didn't score as many goals," or "if Kobe Bryant didn't hit those game winning shots then no one would care as much." But the bottom line is they do. That's what makes them great. It's not like Beckham scoring on a free kick is a freak occurance. Iker Casillas scoring on a free kick would be a freak occurance.

24. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Thanks for proving my point. :D

Without the freekick you've indirectly stated that he wouldn't have had a great game. Why? He really didn't do anything all game besides the free kick, however because of that one thing his overall gameplay is being EXAGGERATED.

Thanks.

Also I advise you guys to find the Becks v.s. Savio clip. The way Becks smacked Savio into submission nearly brought a tear to my eye. :)

25. MLSinHD

MLSinHD Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what I have to agree with Youngstars here. David Beckham had a very good game but without his goal, the only notice he would have got was that he made it back to the first team. I will say that I thought he had a very solid performance overall and if more people put as much effort into their respected performances then Real Madrid would probably be a Champions League contender, since they have unbelieveable talent on their squad. You know what's funny is if his shot from 35 yards out hadn't been deflected off that defender it may have found its way on goal. Not saying he would have scored but he tee-d it up pretty good. Plus his defensive work rate is second to none, IMO.