[OFFICIAL] David Beckham Joins The Galaxy Thread Part 2

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by profiled, Jan 17, 2007.

1. nuff_said

nuff_said Member

Jul 25, 2005
    BigSoccer - RM Forum
    You got yourselves a Prince :)

Recruited by Disney to promote Disneyland and Walt Disney World's Year of a Million Dreams campaign, Leibovitz persuaded her famous friends to dress up as classic Disney characters.

[​IMG]
    Soccer star David Beckham rides a white stallion as Prince Phillip from Sleeping Beauty. By Annie Leibovitz

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yep he sure is! How about that? Becks is in the Mickey Mouse club already! This is my best translation from the gazzetta dello sport on Becks Disney.....How Crazy!

http://www.gazzetta.it/Rubriche/CalcioEstero/Primo_Piano/2007/01_Gennaio/26/beckham.shtml
    [​IMG]

26 JAN 2007
    Beckham, prince for Disney
    After an offer from a reality show, here is the photo of the champion wearing a hero's outfit in Sleepy Beauty. On a white horse he accepted to devote a new park for kids.

MADRID (Spagna), 26 GENNAIO 2007 - David Beckham as a prince in Sleeping Beauty of Disney. The Real Madrid player, until he goes to the LA Galaxy (in June) is one of the celebrities who last month was immortalized in photo spread in a costume for Disney to promote a theme park. Beckham, useless to say , dressed as a prince in Sleeping Beauty sitting on a horse galloping against a fire breathing dragon. "There were a lot of characters I liked as a kid - explained the Englishman -. Now my kids love Disney characters they are a part of their lives, as it is to a number of kids across the world. Its part of this world its an honor & a joy". The pic taken on a lake near the outskirts of Madrid taken by the famous photographer Annie Leibovitz, who had alreadt launched it for her perfume campaign. Among the other celebrities who are taking part in the promotion are the singer Beyonce dressed as Alice in Wonderland & Scarlet Johansson.
    gasport

3. Ami05

Ami05 Member

Apr 28, 2005
    California
    What a waste of money,,,,, The money could of been spent on much better players, but perhaps this will bring more players from europe to the U.S. I guess I'll be seeing this guy and posh around LA......just what we needed here in california...lol.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe at Posh Bagels on Saturday & Sunday? hehehehe! :)
    You are right! There much better less expensive players in the world. Edgar Davids was a great example and I'm sad that the deal for him to sign with the MLS fell thru. Beckham's signing however, should open the door up for a lot of other players to head across the pond. One good thing about it is at least he is still only 31 and not 39 which was how old Lothar Mattheus was when he came to play 16 games for NY in 2000. I wish the MLS would go after Nakata and a few others. If they want a marketing tool, Nakata would be great as he still has some skill and I'm sure Japanese companies love to invest in the league if he were there. Also, he is only 29 years old.
    This morning, I read that the NFL is looking for a Yao Ming Chinese type player to put a helmut & pads on. I'm sure out of 1 billion people in China, you can find at least 1 or even 2 Chinese stars who would be good enough to play in the MLS. I mean there was a reason other than his soccer skills that David Beckham was signed. Sure he is a great player & I'm not knocking him. I just believe if the league wants him becuase of the notoriety he brings along with his wife, then I can just imagine the money a star player from the Orient would bring.

5. cliche_guevara

Jun 1, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    3 words: Hong Myung-Bo.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah as I was writing this, I knew someone would mention Bo. However, with all do respect, he was a 34 year old defender. Also, he didn't have that great of a big name other than maybe in the Korean circles. He wasn't ever an exciting goal scoring forward that would make things happen. The league doesn't need these types of Gk's and/or defenders they need big name household players I.E. forwards and offensive midfielder's who can make the difference and light a fire. You see a 39 year old Lothar, a 37 year old Walter Zenga, an over 35 year old Tomas Ravelli a 35+ Youri not to mention a 34 year Roberto Donadoni. Donadoni's skills in the league were just wasted. He never was a scoring mid he was always a holding mid/winger and crosser. When I see these types of signings the MLS make, they are just a waste of money. I love the elder players but we need players who will shine & score goals!

7. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Now the Aussie press gets in on it

Speak of the devil. I'm not saying the Orient is the answer to great skillful players like Brazil, Argentina and Italy produces. Even the J League has many Brazilian players that the league counts on. What I am saying however, is to open up the Asian market for marketing and television purposes which will bring the league a lot of money.

9. coldcarib

coldcarib New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    España via Darlo
  10. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Problem is we don't make the decisions around here, let's be honest, as great as a Nakamura or Park Ji Sung in MLS would be it doesn't compare to having Becks, sad thing to say.

Cross your fingers that Becks in MLS works out and things will start to change for the better.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

You are right. I guess I was just thinking in marketing dollars for the league but Becks will bring that. I hope others will follow at an under 30 instead of an over 30 age.

12. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

That's what I'm hoping for.

13. cecelia_Lavender

cecelia_Lavender New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Tianjin,China
    First Post here.If you watch the games you would realize it was not his fault that RM lost,he did well in every match he played.The world of soccer in the U.S.
    is simple,but in Europe it's mixed up with everything,and,you know,that y Becks didn't choose other clubs---like AC Milan.He wouldn't go back to the Premiership,it's obvious Man United won't let him back(for many reasons),he wouldn't play for a club in England other than United.

Well,I've always been a big fan of Becks,I watched almost every game he played,he's hard working as well as talented,people just kept concerning on his face and weakness(like his tackling,it's true he doesn't tackle much,cause he got something better to do,and true he's not good at tackling,but nobody's perfect).

Becks never made his fans disappionted,you guys won't regret signing him, trust me.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Speak of the devil. Here is an 18 year old Japanese player that Catania bought last week, he scored 5 minutes after coming on.
    With a name like this I'm sure he would sell some tix! He only cost the club 700,000....At 18 years he will have 20 years to play in the MLs before he reaches Lothar's age when he came into the league for 1 million! Pretty good return no?
    takayuki morimoto
    www.morimotomania.com
    [​IMG]

15. nuff_said

nuff_said Member

Jul 25, 2005
    BigSoccer - RM Forum
    ... :)

16. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder where they rank DCU's web site?

:D

17. Raftastic

Raftastic New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Liverpool
    All this publicity and yet your forum's still full of tumbleweed(wake up and smell the coffeee people).
    Deluded is what you are,i would put money on not seeing a single MSL shirt in England unless it was being worn by an American.

18. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a single MLS shirt, not one? Next you'll tell me that nobody will be seen in any MLB gear, or NFL gear, or even NBA gear.

How much money would like to put on it?

19. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Says the tumbleweed...

20. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big words from the brilliant poster, there. How much money and over what period of time, and whose report will you believe. Come on big boy, back up your words. Lets get specific.

BTW: There's a lot of England outside your Liverpuddle, so We are not impressed.

21. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Oh yeah?! Well I haven't seen a single ELP shirt in America worn by anybody (wake up and smell the catfood in your bank account- it's the offseason)

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that's the sign of a massive club. :D

23. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the moderator here, I'm going to ask that your postings are a wee bit more substantial than what you're currently offering.

Because trolling/flaming will not be tolerated, and if it keeps up, I can think of one tumbleweed that will be rolling out of town soon....

Thanks,

Topper

:D :D :D

24. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. ChicagoAzzuri