[OFFICIAL] David Beckham Joins The Galaxy Thread Part 2

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by profiled, Jan 17, 2007.

1. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Why is there any resentment?

80% of the money is coming from his advertisments and image rights, so where's the problem? He's even helping the club make more money so... huh?

2. natfaninla

natfaninla Member

Jan 18, 2005
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't answer for his use of the word "resentment", but there is huge disparity in pay in the league here.

A lot of you unfamiliar with MLS may not know how low the payscale is for most players in our league. Last year, the salary cap per team was approximately $2million. Pete's actually one of the 4 or 5 highest paid players on the Galaxy at ~$200k. Other guys who actually are on the squad make as little as $13-15k/yea.

I have no idea what journeyman players in EPL/Serie A/La Liga or even the League Championship make, but thought I'd throw that out there.

We had a couple guys who started for us last year who make about 1/1,000th of Beckham's football salary. I'd imagine there some envy out there.:)

3. jbgeach

jbgeach Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    You are paid for the value you bring and nothing else. I am a physician and many real estate agents, plumbers and contractors make twice what I do. It doesn't bother me. Beckham makes money because his employer makes more money. People who get upset about their own wage should simply quit if they don't like their job.

4. jim bean

jim bean New Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Hi I am new here and wanted to put my two cents in .

I find that soccer fans from england don't grasp the commerical value that a David Beckham will have in America as he is over exposed in europe but the case is not near so in America. To me it is not a crime for beckham to have a contract in america for what the pay is . The real crime is how little some of the players get in england for premiership teams.

Considering Jesse James the west coast choppers/ monster garage guy was making from an exclusive deal for T-shirts with Wal-Mart what David Beckham would for the LA Galaxy deal it puts it into the proper framing.

The deals that will be made with beckham in LA are going to make the 250 million dollars look small.

Consider this . David Beckham has played his home game career in the Greenwich mean time zone. Coming to LA he is in the Pacific time zone.
    David Beckham has a huge following in Japan and Asia. With home games in Los Angeles a 7 pm friday night kickoff time means that fans in Toyko Could watch the LA galaxy live at 12 noon Tokyo time Saturday and the East Caost of the United States could watch the same game live at 10 pm friday night. Adjusting the start time Back or forwards to have both japan and new york with good TV ad times could be benefit the TV networks , the clubs and the bottom line.

At greenwich meantime you dont have that advantage and basically the europeans would not care that much to adjust for the Japanese fans.
    A 7 pm start in Manchester or Madrid is 3 am in Tokyo. A 2 pm start in Manchester or Madrid is 10 pm in Tokyo.

With three of the largest TV markets on the planet, one of which Beckham
    is very popular but probably hasn't had live Tv exposure at good times for Japanese viewers . This geographical time zone advantage I am sure the
    LA Galaxy and the league will exploit.

That good TV exposure creates a huge opportunity to corporate sponsorship and merchandise sales of a major companies logo on the team
    jersey. Any company wanting exposure in Asia and America at the same time would probably sell their families for that type of brand connection to
    A very known following in Asia with David Beckham. Samsung, Fed EX,
    Toyota, Sony, Ford, McDonald's you have giant companies in the dozens on both sides of the pacific that would want that exposure for the next five years.

Then consider that the team financial values have gone up for teams Beckham has played on. In Real Madrid's case it raised their value to number two in the world from about number six before Beckham left the number one team for financial value Manchester United.

The Japanese own Pebble Beach Golf Course in California and fly to Hawaii and the West Coast in good numbers to play golf. You will probably be seeing Japanese soccer fans coming for Galaxy games.

As a sport fan I am very excited for the team . A player from my part of canada plays on the galaxy Ante Jazic.

5. Horsehead

Horsehead Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Great point, I haven't seen it brought up anywhere. I might steal this to argue with some of our naysayers who don't understand this deal. Are MLS/Galaxy games currently broadcast in Japan & Asia? If not, maybe they will be now...

It was only a matter of time before someone drew out a quote from a current Galaxy player disparaging the salary difference. Welcome to the world of every little comment being made about Beckham becoming front page news. He doesn't talk that much, but the chattering about him is always deafening.

6. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you are obligated to become a Galaxy fan! :)

7. Horsehead

Horsehead Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Awww, Bill, do I have to also?????

Oh all right! :)

*hides head from bandwagoning shame*

8. jim bean

jim bean New Member

Jan 18, 2007
    If this goes to where I think it will with the time zone/prime Tv rights markets in mind in a year people may be complaining now the salaries of these players have doubled or tripled in 12 months. The players will have Beckham to thank for that totally .Then there is talk of Ronaldo playing for the Red Bull ??? MY goD what will that do for the league??? Who knows
    who will come to the league with the other teams.

This takes off you might see younger hot players in some cases not going to Europe from South America and perhaps Africa making their way directly to the league instead. With Portuguese being the mother language of Brazil and the Possibililty of young soccer stars being attracted to MLS that is another market that is serviced by Espn and Univision for Spanish speakers but not Portuguese I believe . The value for ESPN and Univision could go up with a hot Colombian or Argentinian Player for the South American Spanish market. Then a sublet feed could be sold to Globo TV or another network in Brazil inserting Brazilian commentators speaking in Portuguese because of a Brazilian star. Rio is two hours ahead of New York and using that time zone advantage again for Ronaldo or Beckham could bring rewards for the league down there.

The league and Anschultz are making a play beyond Domestic TV, Beyond
    Domestic Ticket sales and Beyond Domestic Commercial deals . They are making a play for America, Asia and South America all at the same time. It takes a Phillip Anschultz and others to really think of things like this and how they may just push the value of the league and teams to become a serious money making force in the world of soccer. The funny thing I realize
    as a Canadian, not really being a big fan of the game, from my father that the end zone seating is the desired seating in Europe because of
    the ability of fans to see the passing play at its best from behind the goals.
    Most people in north America Don't get that . The American Desire the mid field line stems from gridiron football and the 50 yard line being the prime place.

Somehow the designers of these new soccer stadiums have left the European seating Preferance out to the factor it is used in Europe or other places. Could this have been by design?
    An america might pay primo bucks for what the european fan sees as crap seats and visa versa LOL. The galaxy and others might add addition seating on a temporary basis for EX pat Europeans LOL and making a killing LOL.
    At an average of 23,000 tickets sold a game and a 27,000 capacity could you see another 5000 to 10000 seats go up in the Endzone that the tennis stadium is not on ? I believe the Carson complex has temporary seating in place for the lacrosse venue. You start having the press that home depot place had to add seating to make way for the extra demand for david beckham and that will multiply the hype and demand.

The comment drawn out of the player stirs the pot and keep the buzz going
    for promotion and ticket sales. Ante was interviewed by our local media here in nova scotia and few people outside of soccer fans would know Ante. Now we know one of our guys will be playing with Beckham .
    You think of others on the team with north american hometowns playing in a bit of obscurity from the general population their local tv stations ar a buzz with the news from local prospectives too. Now we know and I have to think it will help the league and the team.

9. MacShark

MacShark New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Concord
    First post here. Played soccer in europe in the 80's for army against other international army teams. People talk about the money for Beckham being ridiculous. we got companies here that drop that much for superbowl commercials for one day, one day people. Peope try to paint Beckham as the bad guy. To me Real Madrid are the ones that are total idiots. I have never seen a team in any sport act like complete asses to a guy thats made them untold millions put there team on the international map and showed up every day and worked hard as a true professional. Real Madrid has shown no loyalty to a guy who has been nothing but good for them. No they havent won championships but Beckham is one guy, its still a team game so who's fault is that, certainly not his. As for MLS being a bush league, sounds like sour grapes to me, maybe they cant beat top tier euro teams but they can certainly compete with the average teams. Good luck to Real Madrid when they are ready to try and get another top tier player after they finish cleaning out the names they got now. Nobody in thier right mind would play for a team that has acted so horrendously to a player that has done as much for them as Beckham has.

10. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha! I was on the US all-army team at Eustis, but got my ankle ********ed up and got cut. ********ing sucked.

11. MacShark

MacShark New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Concord
    Ya I tore up my knee in the iron league championship game in munich, we lost in a shootout.

12. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. USA_2014

USA_2014 New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    I'm glad LA got Beckham because, you know, Cobi won't be around
    forever... Beckham's crosses will do nicely, too. :p (Even if they play
    him centrally I'm sure he'll make his trademark crosses sooner or later.)

14. Raftastic

Raftastic New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Liverpool
    You guys are delusional,David Beckham put Real Madrid on the world map ffs that's golden that is.
    RM dropped Becks because he wasn't doing the buisness on the pitch FACT,out of the 7 games he started they lost 6 so they dropped him and whaddya know they started whinning.

15. Bill Schmidt

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha, yes, and there's no shame. It's only bandwagoning if you jump off when the ride gets bumpy! Next time RM is in town, you can help hold the "Mis dos equipos" banner. Of course, even before Beckham joined either club, the Galaxy and RM had some things in common, like Spanish language and glamour, so they should have some overlap in supporters!

16. Bill Schmidt

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Army soccer teams are cool. Lots of history around the world. I would definitely try to play on one if I were in the army.

17. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you're the one that's always "whinning."

PS: I like cheese.

18. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first Beckham impact:

More dumb posts than I've seen since San Jose was in the league.

19. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I've been avoiding the thread, but was actually pleasantly surprised when I finally got here. Thanks to jim bean for his insightful comments about possible marketing angles for Beckham worldwide, and to MacShark for the point that how Real Madrid is treating Beckham will not go unnoticed by other star players - say Christiano Ronaldo? - who they might want to sign.

20. Bill Schmidt

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly, but few people think about the nastiness of a possible divorce when they're considering marriage. "That only happens to bad players/husbands" etc.

21. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True - Ronaldo might think - that will never happen to me, I'm SOOOO much better than Beckham. But a mature person might consider it, and the agents who have experience may be noticing where their clients will be well-treated & where they won't.

I have a tough time understanding where Real Madrid gains by behaving the way they have. I suppose they're just trying not to look rejected.

22. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe it or not, this joke got me neg repped by a San Jose fan who apparently wandered into our boards (out of jealousy, no doubt). What does he expect when he comes slumming here?

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose who? :confused:

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe if Posh & Bianca move up north San Jose will get an MLS club along with a few star players?

25. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah in the fantasy world were San Jose is a desirable location.