Official Crew vs Revs postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew SC' started by Eggy, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen

2. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    That Matteo for Mais sub was just pure genius...a way to fake a substitution of an offensive player into D-Mid. Nice for Matteo to be put in @ D-MID in a huge game at a position he doesn't normally play. Where was McCarty for that sub?

3. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah that was absolutely crazy. Was that some kind of a makeup call. As a Revs fan I certainly wasn't complaining because it shouldn't have been a foul anyways but man. That ref certainly had a quick whistle. Too quick imo, but I think he called it both ways pretty well. Even if he was calling it poorly both ways.

4. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    In other words, both sides got screwed. That was a PK prior to Denton's goal, and the free kick called near the 1st OT was BMB doing a bad impression of Ruud Van Noodlehead.

5. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

dAyDreAmEr5 This person is on your Ignore List.

30 bucks well worth it.

And I agree about the Llamosa bit regarding him going off at the ref. That was odd. I didn't think any play-by-play guy was that stupid to think that.

Note Brad Feldman didn't support him though.

6. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.
    That was pure genius.
    Probably the best move Greg has ever made.

7. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

turkey bacon with swiss
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the coach?

And the front office for not recognizing how fragile this team seems to be with that coach leading things?

What is left? The "soccer gods"?

8. Robbiegoal

Robbiegoal Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, what I want to know is who was sitting on the bench that Greg looked over and went "Gee, who should I put in...oh obviously Matteo!"

9. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McCarty disappeared just about when people started to see him as a stand-up, give-it-all-for-the-club kind of guy, whose skills and performance were a lot better than he'd previously been given credit for. He must have hurt Greg in some deeply personal way. Either that or it has something to do with The Patriot Act.

10. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah all game long he didn't exactly exude posative body lanugage? Could there be anything else going on other than the frustration of playing on a disapointing team? What's the story behind him. He seemed downright surly.

11. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Perhaps he's regretting not making the move to Everton permanent.

12. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea who was even on the bench, but perhaps instead of bringing Matteo in, we could have brought in Akwari, and sent Frankie to midfield.

Busch had a pretty good match. The 3 goals were thanks to crappy defense and stupid fouls. Buddle had a few good moments, but he seemed to give the ball away a little too freely. At some points, it seemed as if he was afriad to hold the ball for more than half a second.

13. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will not let this thread turn into a flame war.

Discuss the match, as i won't let this continue.

14. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dAyDreAmEr5, you seem like a nice person. Bigsoccer isn't a place for people who get their feelings hurt easily.

If you haven't been furious with the Crew's play for most of the season, then there's something wrong with you. The Crew are loaded with talent, but have consistently lost game dues to poor play and lazy marking. We all love the Crew on this board, but frankly, if they were all fired, they be getting exactly what they deserve.

15. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy can I empathize with that post.

:( :(

16. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Beacon, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This match was absolutely fascinating. About 1 minute after Denton's goal I leaned over to 3stripe and said, "the best thing about this lead is we get to start weling up our hate for DC a little bit early" Then New England scored again, and again, and again. After the 3rd goal I walked out, had my second cigerrette in a month came back in and stared at the Colts game for 20 minutes. And I hate the Colts.

McBride was nowehere. Buddle was invisible too for the most part. Aside from the goal on the set piece I thought Martino was too. Our offense has so much "talent" and struggles to succeed as much as any team in the league. It's dumbfounding.

Williams is a joke. He had two clean and open headers in the box and failed to put one of them on net. And then he gets outmuscled by Shalrie *#*#*#*#in Joseph for a goal. He can eat *#*#*#*#. *#*#*#*# him.

How many free kicks did we give away within 25-30 yards of the goal. While I' complaining about free kicks...do we have anyone who can strike one on goal? Anyone?

Still I will be there screaming my lungs out next weekend. If there is one positive about this season its that all the sudden games against DC matter again. This next weekend is the biggest regualr season game the Crew has had in Columbus in years. Anyone that doesn;t make it to next weeks game that is within a leggitimate distance is crazy. This game is it.

17. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    It's hard to get excited to play a game when the team is so mismanaged. I noted the same behavior and have a feeling most of the veterans are shutting up and simply doing their best. There seems to be very little confidence in the coach by the players. On our losing streak, Greg refused to allow the team to do small sided, short field games too improve scoring since the team enjoyed that type of drill. I think they like Greg, but have little respect for his abilities as a tactician and believe he got promoted one step too far (just a feeling - the sources I have would never say that even if they heard or felt it). The Matteo sub tonight was ubfortunately typical.

18. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Bill, even us Revs fans hate our Adrian Healey.

Speak for yourself.

The Magpie

19. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought I did. But I lose all respect for a guy who doesn't know the Laws of the Game, and flaunts his ignorance.

And there have been many threads asking for new play-by-play guys. I like Brad, but Adrian's getting me annoyed.

20. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Beacon, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Gotta admit also the more I think about that Matteo sub the more confused I get. Maybe this was another sub dictated by injuy. Maybe both Akwari and McCarty were injured. That was it, right?

21. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

turkey bacon with swiss
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never thought of it that way but it does seem true.

Almost wish we had Jason Farrell back here just to run his mouth about the "coach and the starting eleven" to the media, just to stir the piss.

22. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    WHERE'S JEFF????
    i never thought i'd call for him, but it sounds like he was needed tonight. i must preface this with: I didn't see the game tonight, i'm going by what others have said.
    ok, it seems BMB and Buddle were highly INeffective throughout the game. Cunningham and his supposed injury could have provided a change of tempo and a different route of attack. Obviously our attack wasn't working. What do we do? Matteo? please. Greg must not have confidence in McCarty and Akwari to put them in, for whatever reason. So I'm not sure if this is a shot at jeff or Andrulis, but if jeff STILL isn't healthy, well, i guess we have to live with it. but if he is just completely frustrated with the coach/team/playing time and know he'll be gone at the end of the year, fvck him. IF he is healthy, Andrulis is simply stupid for not using him. YOU HAD A CHANCE TO MAKE A "TACTICAL SUBSTITUTION" TONIGHT, YEA, YA KNOW, THAT'S WHAT YOU COMPLAINED ABOUT EARLIER IN THE WEEK, SO WHERE WAS IT? YOU'RE ALLOWED 3 SUBS.

23. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Beacon, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Jeff didn't even travel with the team. He may have reinjured himself out dancing last week.

24. Sirk

Sirk Member+

Apr 25, 1999
    Cleveland, OH
    Sorry about this devastating loss. My bad. When Franchino whistled one wide late in the game, I told Zman, "If Joey F***in' Franchino wins this game, it will be more than I can take. I will snap and murder innocent puppies."

Thankfully I have, like, a dozen hours to regain my composure until the pet stores open.

It should be illegal for the Crew & Browns to play on the same day. It's just wrong, plain and simple. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Sirk

25. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    After Denton's goal I was thinking that today was shaping up to be a pretty good sports day, thanks to Cincinnati knocking of Cleveland and the Crew getting huge road points. Oops.