Official coaching staff and player roster thread

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by fdp, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Martin "el Pulpo" (Octopus) Zuniga, he was Club Guadalajaras Gk for a while. He is a decent keeper, i best remeber him for a friendly match against America in which he blocked five consecutive penalty shots, one during playing time.. Well he has been out of the MFL scene for a long time now and i really doubt he will suit up for Chivas USA. I havent heard anything about this from news worthy sites. One of the players that is really being considered is Antonio DeNigris who was playing in La Liga 2nd Div and at one point was a starting forward with the Mexican National team. He is still young 24/25 and a good player. I believe he has the qualities to suceed in the MLS..

2. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    VS.....deNigris has pasaporte comunitario?

that may help overcome some paper work barriers. Will they held a draf for chivas USA and the other new franchise at the same time? is it in utah?

3. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    De Nigris has an Italian passport :)

There is a possibility he could join the MLS this season he also has an offer from an Argentine team. Anyways he has to play on loan in another league because he was not registered by Club Santos Laguna on time..

4. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    everyone has an offer from argies! that is best gimick from a savvy agent to increase money offers
    and if is true, they will never pay on time or pay at all......bad rep for argentinos as employers! He iis better off in spain or MLS

5. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CD Guadalajara fans help me out.

Players born in 1981 or later and who have neither US citizenship, nor a green card, are classified as transitional internationals. In addition to the 3 SIs every team gets, the league also will have 24 TIs league wide (I assume, there's 20 now so I'm guessing they'll add 4 with the two new teams) that can be distributed amongst the teams in any combination.

The question is, I assume Vergara would like to take advantage of the TI rule as well as his 3 SIs. My guess is he should be able to get at least 4, maybe as many as 5 or 6 (the Metrostars have 5 this year). Are there any younger players in the reserves or coming up from the youth academy who might be good candidates to wet their feet with ChivasUSA?

6. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Name of the coach to be announced on 9-10-04?

I was just watching Contacto Deportivo and it was mentioned that Chivas USA might announce the name of the coach tommorow.

Can anyone confirm this?

7. kingwho

kingwho New Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Re: Name of the coach to be announced on 9-10-04?

todays l.a. times listed theses names as possbile contenders for the coaching position
    i dont know any of them
    can someone fill me in
    thanks

LA TIMES:
    Coaching search: According to El Informador in Mexico, the expansion Chivas USA club, which has yet to announce its official name and will begin Major League Soccer play at the Home Depot Center next spring, has four coaching candidates.

The contenders are Javier "Zully" Ledezma, Jose Manuel "Chepo" de la Torre, Fernando Quirarte and Sergio Lugo Barron.

8. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Name of the coach to be announced on 9-10-04?

Is this father of current Rapids star Antonio de la Torre? If the Rapids don't protect DLT in the expansion draft, who wants to bet he'll go to Chivas? Especially if they are coached by his father (assuming this is his father).

9. Frank83

Frank83 New Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No his father is Antonio de la Torre who played many years in the Mexican first division back in the 70’s for clubs such as Pumas, America and Puebla.
    I'm not sure if Chepo de la Torre is related to him though.

Wasn't Fernando Quirarte the Chivas coach before Yayo de la Torre ?

10. Frank83

Frank83 New Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh it's his uncle.

11. Frank83

Frank83 New Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jose Manuel "Chepo" de la Torre was I think assistant coach to Leo Beenhakker with Club America in 2003. I suppose when Beenhakker left he did too.

12. El Cabrito

El Cabrito Member

Dec 22, 2002
    Ca
    From what I heard from listening to "hablando de deportes" on the radio, an anouncement is expected today. They also mentioned that "Chepo" de La Torre isn't one of the final three canidates.

13. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Guadalajara newpaper El Mural lists the following Chivas players as possibilities for Chivas-USA: Edwin Borboa, Marco Parra, Isaac Romo, Fernando Camacho y Alejandro Vela.

Any info on them?

14. Frank83

Frank83 New Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of them saw some action this past Apertura season ,not sure about Isaac Romo though. Alejandro Vela saw more playing time than the others and scored a goal. I thought I heard that Marco Parra was on a month long trial with Ajax. He is the youngest and has been with Chivas the longest so he would be my pick of the litter.

15. Enganche

Enganche Red Card

Apr 30, 2003
    According to La Opinion, http://www.laopinion.com/deportes/?rkey=00040921194506370453 tomorrow Thomas Rongen will be named the new coach of Chivas USA. He beat out the other candidates, namely Jose Manuel (Chepo) de la Torre and Javier (Zully) Ledezma, ex-Chivas players, because of his knowledge of MLS.

16. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Can someone translate, babelfish seems to funny

"Dutch of birth, American of labor root that dominates English, German and Dutch"

"it disobeys, it violates and it betrays"

"pawned word"

"lawyer of the virtues"

"handles Spanish moderate"

"discovery of Freddy Adú"

"some of their assistants were biting hooks"

17. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    I am going to do this quickly, so no nit-picking ok?

translated as published, without consent:

The Coach of Chivas USA will not be Mexican, nor will he speak Spanish well, nor will he have been a starter on Chivas of Mexico for many years, neither will he have a deep appreciation of the mystique and history of the most important team in Mexican soccer.

Thomas Rongen

-Born: 31 Oct. 1956

-Place of Birth: Amsterdam, Holanda

-Marital status: married to Gail Magaloudis in a wedding celebrated a few hours before his first game as an MLS coach, 13 April 1996.

-Children: Two stepchildren, Chris (18) y Nicole(16)

-Title: DGK of US Soccer [no idea what DGK stands for]

-Before Chivas, he was sought after by the other expansion team in 2005 in Salt Lake City

Player History:

-Played as defensive mid

-At 21 he was a teammate of Johan Cruyff and Teófilo Nené Cubillas on the LA Aztecs

-That team was coached by Rinus Michels

-Played on the Olympic team of Holland

Coaching History:

-Graduated from coaching school at Ajax of Holland

-Champion with the Fort Lauderdale Strikers in the American Soccer League (ASL) en 1989

--Coach of the year in 1990 with Fort Lauderdale

-Coach of the year in MLS in 1996 with the Mutiny of Tampa Bay

Academic Credentials:

-Masseuse, from the Dutch Football Federation (FHF)

-A License from the Dutch Football Federation

-Masters in Phy Ed

His name is Thomas Rongen, Dutch by birth, US citizen with a green card, speaks English, German, and Dutch well.

IN other words this goes against, violates, betrays the nature of the club as outlined by the four important directors of Chivas USA the day they made the announcement to the United States and to MLS: Jorge Vergara, owner, Antonio Cué, president and share-holder, Ivar Sisniega, vicepresident, y Hans Westerhof, Playing Director of Guadalajara.

While pointing out how how they broke their word, it's worth mentioning that Thomas Rongen meets other requirements and adheres to other elements of Chivas USA: He knows MLS, he's involved at the deepest level in the development of the youth program in the United States, he's an advanced and well-schooled student of the best football school in the World, Ajax of Holland, and in addition knows the doctrine of football imposed by Westerhof at Guadalajara.

In other words, the directors did not keep their promises but they have a reasonable motive: find the man that will fit best in their long term project within MLS. And if not, then the volatile fans, in every sense, should make them responsible.

The information was confirmed by numerous sources that demanded anonymity: officials of Anschutz Group, from Home Depot Center, from the Offices of Chivas USA in Los Angeles, from MLS, and from the youth development system of the US Soccer Federation.

When Chivas took their first step at 11:00 a.m. on that Thursday in the Home Depot Center the two most important names that were mentioned were José Manuel “Chepo” de la Torre, who still has a valid contract with Club America, and Javier “Sully” Ledezma, Member of Club Guadalajara and a favored understudy of Westerhof.

They survived some of the competition with others like Fernando Quirarte, Sergio Lugo, Demetrio Madero and Juan Carlos Ortega, who did not show a lot of interest in the proposal.

The first clue of the new direction that the Chivas search took was accidental and coincidental: the Dutchman Dennis Te Kloese, undertook a direct and prolonged consultation through the US Soccer Federation and MLS teams regarding Thomas Rongen, an old acquaintence of his and of Hans Westerhof.

In fact, Dennis Te Kloese was the liaison and advocate for the benefits of the man who would be the Coach of Chivas USA and the future organizer of the reserve system for Chivas in the United States.

Rongen, according to some sources, can manage some Spanish, but that was not the principle reason for reaching agreement, of course, rather his roots in MLS and the fact that he's considered one of the most viable candidates to succeed Bruce Arena if necessary, according to sources in MLS and the US Federation.

“A talent that has not been fully used to its capacity”, was the evaluation of a coach in the developmental ranks that was linked to the discovery of Freddy Adú in Washington. “He's got the clinical eye of Ajax of Holland where in a moment they know which player has it, and which does not”.

Meanwhile, the people at Chivas handled the speculation with extreme caution.

Jorge Vergara, Chivas Owner: “Thursday, all will be announced. ”

-But, ¿Who is Vergara's favorite?, it was insisted.

“I'll tell you Thursday”.

-¿Which of the candidates best fits what Chivas USA needs?, was the reply

“Thursday I'll tell you, he-he-he ”, was the answer.

His assistant, Viviana Tenorio: “I would not risk telling you that it's ‘Chepo’ de la Torre. Remember than Jorge [Vergara] has said that it does not have to be a Mexican”, adding. “It will be announced Thursday”.

Antonio Cué, President of Chivas USA, stayed bunkered behind his cell phone, but some of assistants were taking the bait.

Also at the press conference tomorrow the team logo and a version of the name Chivas USA will be debuted. Assuming the honors will be Jorge Vergara, and other invited guests will be from Omnilife and from the Legion of 1908, the offical supporters group of Chivas of the USA

18. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Much appreciated.

"reserve system for Chivas in the United States"

is the only thing said here I'm a little wary about. For now that might benefit MLS but I'd hope that in the near term MLS sees MFL as a competitor and will not structurally set itself up as inferior.

Masseuse. Always an added bonus in the CV.

"the volatile fans, in every sense, should make them responsible"

what do they mean by that? Is there another way to interpret it?

"he-he-he"

Thanks again.