Official coaching staff and player roster thread

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by fdp, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martin is currently the asst coach of the LA Galaxy.

I would not be surprised if Ralph Perez , current u-17 asst coach and ex Galaxy Asst coach geta serious look for Chivas, IF they if fact play in LA

2. Atom'sDad

Atom'sDad New Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Texas
    When are they suppose to announce the city? Too bad Cabrito does not play with them now. Would be great to see him in MLS.

3. Dynamo Salem

Dynamo Salem New Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Salem, OR

Logic would dictiate that managers would hold on to thier top talent and leave thier non-staters to the waiver draft. However if a team was looking to unload some salary cap concerns then they may let loose some starters as well.

BUT, Chivas has to play by the rules of the rest of the league, so they have to have a minimum number of US citizens on the field at all times. How deep is that bench going to be if they are all hispanic and US citizens. On paper you can name them, but you need a bench as well to cover injuries. If I'm in the Galaxy front office and I have the option of waiving Martinez knowing Chivas will grab him, or I can hold on to him knowing Chivas wants him and trade him to Chivas for draft picks or other players, why waive him.

The same thing happens during the regular waiver draft. If I know Colorado is looking for a left side mid, do I waive my lefty or do I approach Colorado for a trade.

In terms of negotiating Chivas is at a slight disadvantage because of the amount of talent available. Here is another problem:

Let's say the draft comes around and a guy like Eskandarian or Adu is the top pick. Usually the top pick can move into a playing role right away. Are you going to pass because they are not hispanic. Or what about the opposite, what if one of the top picks is hispanic, If I'm the Galaxy or some other team I might grab him knowing that Chivas wants him even though I might not. They may be hurting themselves. Hopefully they can generate some good players through camps, because Chivas may have some trouble competing for talent through established means.

4. Atom'sDad

Atom'sDad New Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Texas
    No, Chivas will not pass because they are not Hispanic, they will pass because they would already have a stiker from Mexico. According to Mexican web sites, Paco Palencia and Ramon Ramirez will be sent to Chivas USA.

5. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i know very little about these players. could you guys give me some info and a guess of how much they will cost (salary, transfer fee, etc)?

thanks

6. EscoDU01

EscoDU01 New Member

May 24, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Palencia scored one of the greatest goals I have ever seen with Cruz Azul in the libertadores, he is a current/former Mexican national team player, not too old (under 30 i think), and has as much talent as any player in Mexico (besides his teammate El Bofo). I am a little surprised to hear his name thrown around for the team in the USA. I am sure others can fill in the missing details.

7. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    I was only half listening but I thought I just heard them say during this copa america match something about Steve Sampson and Chivas USA.. Did anyone hear it? What did they say?? :confused:

8. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard it too but don't understand Spanish. He's a Spanish-speaker. Don't be surprised if he is named coach.

9. EscoDU01

EscoDU01 New Member

May 24, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the Chile match, they interviewed Paco and he said he was on his way to the states. He will be an intriguing addition. I dont know about Sampson, though. Will he command the players respect? He has coached two national teams in Concacaf, so maybe he really is a good fit...

10. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Yeah, I think it'll be a great fit-- Sampson brings the sort of offense-minded tactical flair to every team he coaches-- if Vergara thinks there isn't enough "latin" soccer (whatever that is), I'm sure Sampson's daring lineups and tactics will deliver.

11. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if Chivas wants Chivas, they can have him. He plays defense every bit as well as Shaq shoots free throws. I think GaLAxy should protect Fishy and Crash Moreno. If you think Mexican Americans who support the Gs will be more upset by the loss of Martinez and Torres than they would be by the loss of Moreno and Ruiz, then you've been smoking some of Acapulco's finest.

12. Pique

Pique New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I think Torres and Memo will be available as soon as this season is over. Martinez will be harder to aquire. Not because galaxy will play hardball, but because he is playing in Spain and might be under contract for a few years over there. Same goes for Daniel Hernandez who plays for Necaxa in Mexico.

13. Atom'sDad

Atom'sDad New Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Texas
    Actualy I think Martinez is now with Necaxa too.

14. Pique

Pique New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
  15. Pique

Pique New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
  16. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Will he still be known as "Chivas"?

17. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Johnny Walker?

Let's test the waters here. There has been so much typing about Chivas being "All-Mexican" and "All-Latino" and "All Spanish Speaking".

It seems from Vergara's latest interviews, the Chivas will be a "Spanish Speaking" team, but probably not all Latino.

Unless, of course, the Metros try and hold on to him, wouldn't Walker be an ideal choice for this club? He's played in Chile for years, and the USMNT, so he's American through and through, plus a top quality MLS keeper. His Spanish is perfect, and he'd be a knock out choice to prove that Chivas isn't racist.

Thoughts? Am I an idiot for thinking this?

18. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Well, Nick Rimando is Hispanic so I bet they'd take him over Walker, but he's American and I have no idea about his Spanish. For the racism part, well that's why evry1 does hate Chivas USA! :p

19. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Re: PLAYERS LIKE THIS IS WHAT VERGARA IS TALKING ABOUT:

I think he is also a former All-American in college, too...He also played in Sweden.

20. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    His Spanish isn't exactly perfect...He handles the basics very well, but one of the reasons why he left Catolica was his lack of deep understanding of Spanish...But he does speak it, not perfectly

21. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2839905&postcount=1

Chivas Fans,
    What are your thoughts on a MLS expansion draft in which you got the following 10 players (I detailed all MLS rosters for protected/unprotected players for the upcoming draft in the above post link):

G - Nick Rimando - DC (USA)
    D - Orlando Perez - CHI (USA)
    D - Milton Reyes - DAL (Honduras)
    M - Joselito Vaca - NY (Bolivia)
    W - Francisco Gomez - KC (USA)
    M - Eliseo Quintanilla - DC (El Salvador)
    M - Diego Gutierrez - KC (USA)
    F - Erick Scott - CLM (Costa Rica)
    F - Antonio Torres - LA (USA)
    F - Rey Angel Martinez - COL (Cuba)

I do not see any star players being available in this draft (I saw some folks thinking that Walker-G-NY might be available - I do not see that happening), but you certainly would get a few starters to go with Ramirez, Palencia, and whoever else comes to the team from Mexico.

22. Pique

Pique New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    G - Nick Rimando - DC (USA)---First he would need to lose some weight
    D - Orlando Perez - CHI (USA)---Yes, plus he is from LA
    D - Milton Reyes - DAL (Honduras)---Maybe after a hair cut
    M - Joselito Vaca - NY (Bolivia)---Yes, He is pretty good.
    W - Francisco Gomez - KC (USA)---Yes
    M - Eliseo Quintanilla - DC (El Salvador)---NO
    M - Diego Gutierrez - KC (USA)---NO
    F - Erick Scott - CLM (Costa Rica)---I dont even know who this guy is, so NO
    F - Antonio Torres - LA (USA)---YES, I think you mean Arturo Torres
    F - Rey Angel Martinez - COL (Cuba)---NO

Just my opinion

23. burn 2002

burn 2002 New Member

Dec 27, 2001
    I think they should hire Oscar Pareja for coach!!

24. EscoDU01

EscoDU01 New Member

May 24, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know the status of Ariel Graziani? Could he be brought back as a discovery player? Or would Chivas look for a defender to fill in the last SI spot on the team...

25. Pique

Pique New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I think Ariel Graziani is playing in Argentina. I would really like him to be part of the team. I think he proved he could score goals in MLS, but Im not so sure he left in good terms with MLS.

His stats are very impresive:

Regular Season GP GS MIN G A PTS

Four-year Totals 101 98 8,760 50 20 120

*includes playoffs