Official Christian Vieri Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: Clubs' started by soccer krazy, Aug 29, 2006.

1. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With all of the forwards leading Italy's attack in Inzaghi , Quaglirella, DiNatale, Toni and others , I don't think there will be much room for Vieri unless he tears it up. the

3. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I mean at the big forward spot considering who is front of him:
    Toni - always injured lately when the National team plays and Inzaghi. After these two who is left? Iaquinta or Gilardino? This is what is intriguing about Vieri. If he lights it up and I expect this other wise I would have never even suggested that he would be back with the National team then there is no way he does not make the squad for the tournament. Also intriguing is the idea of pairing Vieri and Toni upfront together. This is a combo that would be almost impossible to stop because of various factors. All of this is a big IF though.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Vieri has always been the more lethal forward before and during the rest of those guys . Gila is not doing well and I have a feeling he will be transfered in January....I really like Iaquinta as he is ever the oportunist.

5. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Looks like he is going to get the start today ahead of Pazzini from what I read yesterday. I really hope that he can keep this going and score some more goals today.

6. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Great game by Vieri today. He looks like he is on his way back.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Luca Toni seems to have that old Vieri/Inzaghi scoring punch but at 33 & 34 years of age respectively, can either one of those players really get that deadly scoring touch back?

8. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I dont know about Inzaghi but Vieri is a different breed. He looks motivated with something to prove.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I read this in the other thread. If Vieri was in form or even not injured in May 2006 Lippi probably would have called him up to be on the final 23 man roster for the WC. I think he would have gone before before Super Pippo and maybe even before Gila or Iaquinta as he was always Lippi's top choice and main man. If he finds his form he is deadly. Thre trouble is he is still 34 so will there be room for him?
    [​IMG]

10. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    There's no way that Vieri will get back with the National Team. We have too many forwards on good form ahead of him. Even out of form Gilardino has a quicker shot at returning then Vieri. But i do wish him all the best. Hope he continues to score, b/c it's always great to see the veterans playing.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  12. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I hope he makes the team for the Scotland game Falvo. I think you and I are probably the only two people here that still think Vieri has something to offer.
    He is starting to make a case for himself as if you look at all competitions I believe he has more goals than Iaquinta and Inzaghi and is tied with Gilardino in much less playing time. Also one must take into consideration that his club Fiorentina is in 2nd place and Vieri has alot to do with this. They also look like a serious challenger for the Uefa Cup.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He is just as good as other so called national team forwards. I'll put a healthy Vieri up against Inzaghi, Iaquinta, and even Toni any day of the week. Toni when hot and on is going strong but so is Vieri......

14. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Vieri is having a fairly good year so far. He isn't the Vieri of old but if Mutu or Pazzini aren't scoring, he provides a more than useful target. Despite his club form, I don't think he can really offer anything more to the Azzurri. I'd rather see Pippo play for the Azzurri.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Here is my best translation from the GDS:

http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Primo_Piano/2007/11_Novembre/09/viola.shtml
    BOBO COUNTS TO TEN The forward while traveling on the trian eating a sandwich, while talking in a long conversation. He's at 2 goals scored in the Uefa Cup and 3 in the league. Here Bobo has an objective: to get to ten. Double motive to convince Donadoni. A long conrvsation for the center forward.

BOBO CONTA FINO A DIECI L’attaccante viaggia in treno e mangia pane azzimo, quello a lunga conservazione. E’ a quota 2 reti fatte in coppa Uefa, 3 in campionato. Qui Bobo ha un obiettivo: arrivare a quota dieci. Doppia cifra per cercare di convincere Donadoni. A lunga conservazione è soprattutto il centravanti.

[​IMG]

16. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If Vieri somehow got called-up to the NT, I'd prefer to see him as a super-sub. He shouldn't start for the Azzurri, even if he gets a call.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have a feeling that both he and Inzaghi if given the chance would both score for Italy.....

18. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You are starting to see our point. I have watched Vieri in this role so far this season and he has been decisive. Roma and Juve had no answer for him so in my mind if teams of those quality could not deal with him I dont think Scotland can either.

19. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In the case of the coming-up Scotland game, if he was somehow selected, I'd only have him as an extra option.

20. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree. I would only put him in there with about 20 minutes left if Italy needed a goal.

21. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  22. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  24. Massimo_Oddo

Massimo_Oddo New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    i dont think hes as prolific as before but hes proven himself to be very useful.