Official Chinese abroad thread [R]

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by ForzaGrifo, Jul 31, 2002.

1. kc123

kc123 Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Sun was a starter as Man City beat Tranmere Rovers 7-1.

2. quattrosystem

quattrosystem Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Qu Bo really showed he's could be a force to be reckoned with in the future.

And the fact that he'll be with Tottenham, pretty much guarantees that he'll get good playing time because, as someone mentioned, most of the FW's & ST's are old guys!

BTW, in Cantonese Qu Bo's name is pronouned "Cook Boh"
    but in english I'm think it's "Coo Boh"
    heh heh Coo eh?
    heh...........sorry.

3. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    hey dude I'm also in Toronto. Are you originally from Hong Kong?

4. Shaster

Shaster Member

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Kirovski is probably the most skilled US player. His problem is lacking of consistency that is the result of not playing enough games. After he lost Work Permit fight, he was signed by Dortmund after his 1996 Olympic showing. He did win CL cup and Toyota Cup (10 minutes play in the end) and was sold to Sunderland. Then his work permit request failed again. He also not helped by the position--attacking midfielder who is behind two strikers. No club especially a CL winner will play a 20 years old kid in there. So he was pushed to the wing, but his speed and defense not fit him in that position. Then he moved to Sporting Lisbon and still cannot get the PT. Finally, he married someone in Portugal to get an EU possport. Then he was able to play as an attacking midfielder for Crystal Palace and lead the team to #1 rank in 1st division until his coach left for Birmham City. His new coach doesn't like him so that went with his playing time and his chance to go to World Cup. With all those waste years, he is behind Reyna, O'Brien, Donovan and Mathis on depth chart in center midfield. Look he finally get into EPL at the age of 26. Wish him a good luck.

In contrast, Qu Bo has a better chance then Kirovski. First, Spurs may use his U-20 PT to get work permit. Secondly, Qu Bo is fast enough to play at the wing, and also the fast pacy game may help him in a sub role. He may need to improve his defense if he plays at the wing. But for any young players, wing in the midfield is almost a starting point. You just cannot get the trust to run a team in the center midfield when you are too young.

So Qu Bo can be a sub in the slashing forward position or even a starter in the right wing.

5. nw

nw Member

Nov 14, 2000
  6. quattrosystem

quattrosystem Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    nope, not from HK. But I'm Chinese and I was born here. Are you Chinese?

7. i thought you are forza's sock puppet

8. kc123

kc123 Member

Jun 29, 2002
    It looks like Qu is one step closer to the EPL. Let's see if Spurs can get his work permit done.

9. quattrosystem

quattrosystem Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ?

10. Chachi King

Chachi King New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Bo Qu will soon have beaucoup d'argent.

get it?

get it?

yall suck.

11. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I understand it, Kirovski was rejected in the mid-90s, before the Home Office started relaxing the work permit requirements, so his case is not particularly relevant to Qu Bo's.

12. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, lets get serious -- what are the tones for this name, and can anyone provide a link to something showing the name in hanzi?

13. quattrosystem

quattrosystem Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    OK, by watching the China games on Fairchild, I have learned to pronounce it "Cook Boh" in Cantonese, BUT in Engrish according to ESPN (I think) it is pronounced "Coo" (or Khoo) "Boh" (or Bo)

And if my Mandarin hasn't failed me I'm fairly sure it's pronounced "Chwee" ("Ch" and "wee" together quickly") "Boh"

14. nw

nw Member

Nov 14, 2000
  15. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, but assuming that "Qu Bo" is a standard pinyin transliteration I know how to make the sounds. What I'm asking for is the tone (i.e. 1st through 4th) for pronouncing the standard mandarin of the name, and a link to the characters.

16. nw

nw Member

Nov 14, 2000
    It's ‹È ”g, Qu3 Bo1. Oh well, the characters didn't come through, but you can go here:

http://www.hainiu.com/qiuyuan11.htm

17. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    xie4xie4 nin2. Link isn't working right now, but I'll try later. I tweaked my encoding and got your characters, or at least some characters -- they didn't say Qu Bo, though. That's life with Chinese on an American Windoze system.

Thanks!

18. nw

nw Member

Nov 14, 2000
    The o in Bo is a very difficult sound to define using English, almost like the wa sound in wall with a softer a.

19. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I think this is the most educational thread at BigSoccer, ever. Thanks guys. :)

20. quattrosystem

quattrosystem Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    LOL Crappy Chinese 101
    Now if someone was able to record pronounciations ;)

21. kc123

kc123 Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Now I understand why Qu named himself Kevin. It certainly makes his life a little bit easier.

22. Ticallista

Ticallista Member

Jul 5, 2002
    so what's the name on his shirt?

kevin??

23. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Yep it's Qu3 Bo1.....The first 2 characters in the title of this article are the words Qu Bo:

http://sports.sina.com.cn/j/2002-08-10/1218298028.shtml

24. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Don't listen to the English commentators for the Chinese names. They know sh!t about Chinese pronounciations.

And no it's not "Chwee"...you're completely wrong on that one. :)

25. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Shows how hard it is to learn Chinese, doesn't it?