Official Charlie Davies News/Updates Thread 3.0

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Illusionbox, Aug 23, 2007.

1. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Charlie needs to start working hard.......if something like this is in the media wouldnt it make him work harder.

I expect Charlie do get back into the starting line-up soon. He is still just a kid and I think his time w/ the USMNT motivates him even more.

2. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering his competition on the USMNT is EJ and Twellman, are you sure that's motivating? :)

3. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it suits his argument better. Duh? Fact has no currency here on BS. Learn that and you're get alone nicely with the locals.

4. ussoccerFan12358

Mar 11, 2006
    Central NY
    Ourselves and Coach Bradley have seen Davies with the Nats, yet the forward search continues. That should be motivating. I think Jozy, Hill, and any other forward that could possibly play for the Nats should be motivating.

5. Lorelaei

Lorelaei New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Stockholm
    http://www.svenskafans.com/fantv/player/dev_flash.asp?clip=3995&cat=0&list=all

There you go, there's some clips from training sessions and matches with Charlie, also an interview with him and the coach, Gustavsson.

Gustavsson talks about:

- Again, that Charlie needs to change his attitude towards training. As he puts it , something like this: "He comes from a culture where it's more about performing in the games and more 'play' in training" and that he needs to give 100% in every training session.

- The quote from our scout that said that Charlie was the best 20 year old player he'd ever seen. Gustavsson says that Charlie has suffered from it because he 1, gets a lot of pressure on him 2, thought that he was supposed to be a complete player when he arrived in Sweden, which is not true or something they expected from him. And because of this he needs to be more humble in his work and evolve in training and not just perform in games.

- That developing a young player is not just about learning how to pass the ball correctly, but it's also about developing their characters and personalities and that moving to Sweden is a huge step for Charlie and because of that they (the coach and his team I presume) need to coach him but also demand things from him.

- That what he and Charlie have talked about is for him to be a part of a combination play (roughly translated), not to be an isolated player that does a lot himself, but to be part of a collective. Finding the right timing and cooperation with the other forwards. This is something he, Charlie, and also the coach himself need to work on. Because individually he's really good (in search of the right word), but he needs to make his dribblings and his speed work in a collective combination play.

Hope I got that quite right anyway.

6. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Interesting hearing Preki saying on TV last night that one of the hardest things in MLS is getting the players who come from a college environment to adjust to the demands of playing in a professional environment, especially in regard to training and working hard every minute on the field.

Maybe Charlie isn't so much a head case as a typical guy coming out of college and having to learn the ropes of playing pro ball.

7. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the article!

8. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Hopefully Davies takes this to heart.........he def. has the skills to be a great striker but I think he has been caught up with the fame of living/playing for Hammarby.

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's articles like this to makes me happy that Davies chose Hammarby or maybe I should say Hammarby chose him. They seem so sincere about not only developing Davies the player but Davies the person. Hammarby seem like a "hands on" outfit willing to take the time to show how the small things, like the proper approach to training, can be the difference between a good player and a great player. They are nurturing him slowly but surely and it will pay off. Charlie will benefit as I'm sure he already has. Charlie is not a head case, he's young and naive. I'm just glad he's at a club where he's allowed to be young and naive, with less pressure. But when the youthfulness and nativity are shown the club comes down on you but not to belittle or degrade you but to help build you.

10. Darius.Hammarby

Darius.Hammarby New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Stockholm
    Fredrikstad (Norway)- Hammarby its now GMT 1900 its no TV but its on the net..... http://www.ffktv.no/hammarby/

Kvalite is maybe Norwgien but still pics :D

11. Obese

Obese New Member

May 9, 2007
    Solna, Sweden
    Club:
    Hammarby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden

Please leave some bandwidth to us Swedes :( it is sloooow...

CD on the bench.

12. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously? This feed is fantastic.

13. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I spoke too soon.

14. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow this feed is awesome. Too bad I have to go to work! Damnit.

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    For reference, I'll interject ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...08/28/AR2007082801990.html?nav=rss_technology

Accelerating broadband speed in this country {Japan} -- as well as in South Korea and much of Europe -- is pushing open doors to Internet innovation that are likely to remain closed for years to come in much of the United States.

The speed advantage allows the Japanese to watch broadcast-quality, full-screen television over the Internet, an experience that mocks the grainy, wallet-size images Americans endure.

Median download speeds, in megabits per second, selected countries

Japan - 61
    South Korea - 46
    Finland - 21
    Sweden - 18
    Canada - 8
    US - 2

16. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, so did I.

17. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fredrikstad putting on some nice moves up front, but nothing resulting...

18. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This feed is astonishing. You'd have to pay for a stream this good if it were the US (not that I want to give any ideas to our Norwegian friends).
    Norwegian is a tough language! With Swedish I can at least hear the word breaks, even if I have more or less no idea what they're saying.

19. Obese

Obese New Member

May 9, 2007
    Solna, Sweden
    Club:
    Hammarby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Well he doesn't say much really, here's an extract of the first half:

- Good ball
    - Nice ball
    - Raymond
    - Another good ball
    - I'll go fishing tomorrow
    - Good ball

So just enjoy your 25 seconds while it lasts.

And CD? Well hope to see him in the second half, nerve wrecking is the word right now.

20. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Halftime. Although the feed occasionally stopped, the quality of it is excellent -- I can actually see faces and names! :)

Hammarby is playing more of a counterattack game, while Fredrikstad is finding its way through the defense, but not enough to produce a quality chance.

21. Obese

Obese New Member

May 9, 2007
    Solna, Sweden
    Club:
    Hammarby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yeah stream has been up for about five minutes now, looks like it will work *knock on wood*

22. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch. Accidental headbutt.

23. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, stupid handball at the corner/edge of the box by Hammarby

24. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kick does nothing, Fred corner.

25. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Results in a 3-on-2 breakaway for Hammarby! Kick save and a beauty!