Official Charlie Davies News/Updates Thread 3.0

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Illusionbox, Aug 23, 2007.

1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Re: Just let charlie know

Someone needs to yell at him a lot.

2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I did earlier this week but he didn't hear me.

3. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Me too weird. I'll try again tonight.

4. hoya

hoya Member

Feb 8, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Hopefully Nowak will keep him on the bench, and save you (as well as just about evey other US fan watching the game) the trouble.

5. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For our Hammarby fans, Davis was limited to garbage time minutes in the US's 1-0 victory.

6. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If he plays again we ought to synchronize, like the Whos did with Horton.

7. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    For those of you keeping tabs on Charlie from Sweden, you'll be happy to know that he redeemed himself quite nicely in the US's 1-0 win over Honduras tonight. Charlie came on in the second half and the US attack immediately perked up. He played with speed and determination, drawing two penalties (the first of which he took himself - and missed badly, sigh). Davies was really a handful for the Honduran defense tonight, who had no choice but to pull him down as he made strong turns with the ball.

8. Globalusation

Globalusation New Member

May 17, 2006
    NY
    Davies was absolutely shocking tonight. He missed a penalty and he's just bad. This tournament confirms he will never be playing for the national team.

9. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first PK was fully earned, the second, not so much. The contact that "earned" it happened not only after he had pushed the ball well forward of himself, but as he was either falling or diving forward.

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The GK had the ball in his hands with the first PK, too. That was an idiotic play by the defender, I guess the CR had to call the PK because the fool had both arms wrapped around Charlie and tugged him to the ground, but if that defender didn't exist the keeper would simply have picked up the ball before Charlie ever got there.

For an ex-wrestler, man he falls down easily.

11. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he picked it up as Barrett was bearing down, but pulled up because the keeper had it.

Maybe he was practicing to be a WWE wrestler

12. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

told ya

13. The Soccerwiz

The Soccerwiz New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    In the US&A

Compared to someone named Barret Davies was class last night but that isnt saying much. He's got good speed and adequate touch on the ball, and combining that with his ddecent dribbling skills he's not too far from becoming a good striker/winger. He just needs to be smart about his diving, and tonight he kept it into a minimal and earned the team two pks. Sure he missed the pk so did trezeguet in the wc finals in 06, missed pks doesnt qualify anyone as a bad player. I would to see a combination of him and Altidore on top next match, that should keep any backline busy for the next match. The potential is there he needs to learn to play smarter.

14. Corn

Corn Member

Aug 17, 2006

Thx for the updates.

Good and bad news...

I wonder how many years we will say that...

15. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    Compared to the other forwards he was great. He came in and pressured Honduras with his speed and created 2 great chances.

16. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was much better last night than he was against Cuba. The missed PK was as much a matter of him having just gotten on. Somebody in another thread argued that it was a poor decision by Nowak to have him take the PK. Incidentally, I'd be surprised if Nowak made the choice--I assume at that level that decision gets left to the players on the pitch.

17. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I'll be shocked to learn that a coach at this level does not decide who takes the PK (assuming that the designated PK takers did not take a pass for whatever reasons).

18. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah. Shows what I know then.

19. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    or it shows what I know. :) I have never coached at this level. However, I don't think LD (for example) takes all the PKs for our national team because all his teammates think he can take a better Pk than they can.

20. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    yea... Gilberto was Arsenal's pk taker last year when Henry was out... a lot of times tho, the captain decides...

21. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    and in Arsenal's case, IIRC, the person who earns the PK does not take it (the reason being that said person may be too excited).

22. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    nah, Gilberto/captain was the taker last year, but Craptista took them when he was fouled also

23. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    may be that's why (partly) Craptista is no longer with them.

24. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Davies looks good....he is still in preseason form but he was finally used as a striker and played well. Hopefully he starts uptop with Altidore next game.

25. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I forgot to add, he also missed all of his penalty attempts

its funny tho, he still ended up with 10+ goals last year, even tho he was crap