Official Charlie Davies News/Updates Thread 3.0

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Illusionbox, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Darius.Hammarby

Darius.Hammarby New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Stockholm
    From the Swedish newspaper CD is in the frezzer put there buy the coach Tony, CD dont have 100% attitude in traning :mad:

Forza Bajen/CD :D

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Yes. He needed to have his behind kicked a little.

And how he responds to this butt kicking will tell if he's going to turn into a Landon Donovan or a (healthy) John O'Brien-Claudio Reyna type.

3. Illusionbox

Illusionbox New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    London
    Either you play a physical or latin style of football you still need to be focused on the training sessions.

In Sweden we have several technical Brazilian players who do well. ( And the best ones of course continue to the major leagues in Europe after a couple of years)

4. MLS_RM

MLS_RM Member

Jun 25, 2003
    chicago
    So, I take it this mean Davies still hasnt scored...Kirovski light

5. Obese

Obese New Member

May 9, 2007
    Solna, Sweden
    Club:
    Hammarby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    A weekend offline is always good i.e. my wife and kid hasn't walked out on me yet :)

Mattias Lühr, the journalist isn't really a Pulitzer prize nominee and I don't buy his crap even though what Tony says seem true. I think what Illusionbox writes is about accurate; This is probably the first time CD doesn't get success for free and maybe he didn't expect that? So the "problem" here is probably just getting CD aware of this and set him on the right course, and that course is not back west and the MLS. Tony will do that and CD will respond to these instructions and be the attacker we all wish for. Even if that can take some time!

//O.

6. Corn

Corn Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Obese,

Regardless of the headlines and Mattias Luhrs competence, the fact remains.
    Coach Tony thinks that CD does not give all on the training sessions, this is a big problem. Tony has stated this (better wrapped in soft words) on Hammarby official site aswell.

7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    of couse and as usual, you have no idea whatsoever but are parroting the words of others.

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    since we have heard ONE side of the story I would suggest caution. Charlie was known for a good attitude previously here. It could also be that the coach needs to feel he needs an excuse why their high-price recruit is not producing yet. So he decided not to say that his coaching is ineffective, but instead to say that Charlie is not working hard enough.
    We know he was sick and he was known for a good attitude here, so I am taking these comments with a grain of salt for the moment. It is rare for a coach to say: "maybe I am a ************ coach, that is the problem".

9. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    And it could also be possible that Charlie wasn't working hard enough as a professional, which wouldn't be surprising coming in straight from college. The two had a talk about what it means to be a professional, Charlie's on board, and everybody's happy (well, neither will be very happy until Charlie starts scoring).

10. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    that is also possible. I was not saying the the coach was not right, but since we have heard one side, stay cautious.

11. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about anyone else here, but I am not surprised by the idea that Charlie is navigating some bumpy seas right about now. Moving to another country is difficult, even if it is one that is culturally similar to the one you're from. Eventually you make the adjustments and get into the swing of things, but it takes a little while to get there.

I've lived in several different countries, and each time I've gone through a similar cycle. It is easier now that I have a family to keep me company, but it can still be difficult. It has to be tougher if you're just out of college and you've left behind all of the people you grew up with. I imagine Adu and Zizzo will go through something similar. Landon went through it (and probably never got past it). And it has to be even tougher if, when you make a mistake at work, 20,000 people start yelling at you.

Given this, and the fact that Charlie is a professional (and playing against pros) for the first time in his young life, should anyone be surprised if he encounters some bumps along the way?

12. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually we have heard his two coaches sides of the story...remember the quote from a few posts up:

""– Now we have had a very good dialogue and I know he has also have had a good discussion with his national team coach (Bob Bradley)."

The ball is in Charlie's court to step up and be a professional.

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    if CD was trouble I severely doubt that Bradley would have pit him in the Sweden game.. which he did.

14. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be right, but as fans, we never really know what is going on behind the scenes.

CD may be getting the carrot part of the old carrot/stick approach. Maybe BB thinks he can influence CD better by keeping him close (ie in camp) and confident (ie by playing him) rather than bashing him or keeping him out of the roster. Charlie is only 21. Most kids his age are still very much influenced by their authority figures, for both the positive and the negative.

This type of approach with underperforming but talented players might also explain why BB kept calling EJ into camps and playing him throughout the Spring and Summer, even when his on-the-field performance didn't seem to warrant more call ups.

15. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Yo, Bruce baby, can't you read? This isn't about Davis' talent. It's about that round thing he carries on the top of his body. Hope he gets his noggin in working order right quick OR ...

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    you may be right. But it also could be the coach lookingn to deflect the blame.

17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I read, but I read with a little skepticism until I hear both sides of any story.

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Yes, I am parroting his coach.

You are parroting yourself.

19. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Do you always just make stuff up or is this just being Monday? Where did anyone say CD was "trouble"? The coach and now the press have intimated that he's been a bit of a prima donna, taking his success too much for granted, not working hard enough in training. Apparently to the point that Bradley had to step in and say something to his Nat player. All that has NOTHING to do with being "trouble" but everything to do with starting unfounded rumours. "Stay cautious," says Bruce S, unable to take his own advice.

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    the coach and now the press quoting the coach.

21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    didn't Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq, Gooch to Real Madrid, etc illustrate that people DO make stuff up and sell it ito the press for their own reasons?

22. Illusionbox

Illusionbox New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    London
    Regarding the credibility for the statement from the coach of Hammarby is that he when he speaks as far as we fan have been able to judge from his comments they have been true. (They only grey zone is the Aubynn business).

Hammarby has struggled this year for several reasons (and it was expected to be a tough season)

• Almost 1/3 of the squad is new
    • Head coach is new since October, assistant coach left in Feb-Mar and was replaced first in July and the physio is new since last Winter
    • We play more games then any other team in the league during the summer because of Intertoto which has made the team very tired
    • The squad is too little for the amount of games being played but it does not exist any money to invest in new players, if new players are needed they are picked from the young talent team HTFF. Only occasion Hammarby would buy a new player now is if another player is being sold.

When it comes to CD I very much believe the comment about his focus might be right but as well does the coach criticize himself and his staff by the statement since they have not been able to sort out the attitude earlier. It must have showed up pretty soon after Charlie arrived to the club.

So maybe the fact he was not even on the bench last weekend was a way trying to give CD a wake up call that he has to pull himself together.

23. Corn

Corn Member

Aug 17, 2006
    According to the training session CD will not play from start on Thursday.

The bad news for him is that Heidar seems to start on top with Paulinho. Petter is moved down to the middfield since 3 ordinary midfielders are missing.

It looks like CD is considered 4:th forward at this moment. That will be a fact if Heidar makes a good game agains Fredrikstad.

24. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Charlie wants it, he's going to have to earn it. Nothing wrong with that.

25. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

For the 700th time, Real did make an offer for Gooch... why is this still talked about as if it was fake?