Official Charlie Davies News/Updates Thread 3.0

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Illusionbox, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Corn

Corn Member

Aug 17, 2006
    According to Hammarbyfotboll.se Davies stays in the US because the upcoming U-23 activities next week.

I dont know if the U-23 matches are good or bad for CD.
    The good thing is that he gets good publicity but at the same time, he misses a lot of important training and matching (4 upcoming Hammarby matches that CD will miss).

2. Darius.Hammarby

Darius.Hammarby New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Stockholm
  3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He basically whiffed on two point blank shots ... not good at all.

Finishing lessons are in order for the guy.

4. Corn

Corn Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Hammarby played 2 matches yesterday.
    2-0 and 4-1 victorys.

Paulinho looked good in the first match but CD does not need to worry that Freddy Söderberg will be the one who plays along with Paulinho when Allsvenskan starts. Freddy has some things to work on.

Hope CD performes well over there with the U 23 team. But I hope they dont make it to the olympics. He has spent to much time over there allready. We need Charlie in Sweden.

5. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    They will qualify for the Olympics, have no illusions about that. The real question is whether or not Davies will make the squad.

6. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's to hoping CD's team doesn't win a game all season and gets relegated.

7. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    lol.........uh?

8. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    Not only is that a ridiculously stupid statement, it would hurt CD in the long run if he had to play in the second division the following year.

9. Darius.Hammarby

Darius.Hammarby New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Stockholm
    CD club Hammarby is 111 year on friday, :D

Forzza CD/Hammarby

10. gvsu

gvsu Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Hammarby played two practice games on Saturday. The A team beat IK Sirius 1-0 (wing back David Johansson headed in a corner) and the B team beat Falun with 3-0.

No great perfrmances from the A squad forwards - mainly because both Davies and Paulinho were missing, so Bajen played with newcomer Freddy Söderberg and junior Ivan Tedengren up top.

We miss Charlie. I noticed that he'd been selected for the final 20 in the Olympic Qualification squad. Is there any news on how he's been performing at camp, apart from the fact that he made the cut? Anything at all?

PS In transfer news, Sebastian Eguren dominated the midfield for Villarreal against Barcelona on Nou Camp and assisted Jon Dahl Tomasson's winning goal. The consensus seems to be that Villarreal will buy him for an unspecified sum this summer, which will meen lots of cash for Hammarby and possibly more competition for Charlie.

11. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So can we close this thread now?

12. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're switching his citizenship to Mexican after his diving performance tonight.

Absolutely abysmal

13. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After tonights performance, I don't know that he should come home

14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    word.....

15. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worst ever performance by a player in a USMNT jersey that I have seen. Diving after rounding the keeper outside the box -- meaning he was not only dishonest and a lousy diver, but he gave up a scoring chance when the payoff wouldn't even have been a PK. And this was not his only dive. Plus, he did almost nothing off the dribble, failed to make appropriate runs and didn't hold the ball or pass well.

16. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and if anyone thinks we're joking, we're not. It was seriously, no joke, bar none, the worst performance ive seen in a nats jersey at any level.

17. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I would disagree with worst ever(Tim Ward U20s) but it was poor.

18. STmetrofan

STmetrofan New Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just let charlie know

American fans hate divers. Even on our own team. Get that crap out of here

19. DestroyerDaMarc

Dec 8, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Just let charlie know

I guess to me anyway last night showed the mental capacity of two American players. When DaMarcus Beasley was taken down in the box last Gold Cup he continued to chug and try to stay with the play; when Charlie Davies had a keeper beat on the outside away from the box he decided to flop and go poof. It's not so much the skill that makes two different leagues apart in Europe; its the mental common sense and that to me shows that Charlie could be a great player but needs more intelligence.

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Maybe he's lost it with this team and never had it with the other.

21. DestroyerDaMarc

Dec 8, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh he has it, but he needs to realize there's more to soccer then outrunning your opponent and triping in the most critical time of the game.

22. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

was Davies not playing wide mid tho? I give him the benefit of a doubt because of that... he struggled there with Hammarby...

23. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

Is it true that he's only scored 3 goals while in Sweden all in one game?

Right now he just needs to concentrate on his club. He's not good enough for our U-23 team now.

We should have called up Zimmerman. I heard he was having a good season for HSV II.

24. Corn

Corn Member

Aug 17, 2006

Yes, he scored all his 3 goals in the last game.

I agree that he needs to concentrate on Hammarby instead of concentrating on the olympic team. Due to the U-23 matches CD has missed 2 months (and 6 training matches) of the pre season training with Hammarby, and he will not comeback until a week before Allsvenskan starts.

It would be ok with me if Hammarby had lots of other strikes to rely on but we dont.
    It is a problem to rely on CD when he spent all the preseason training with the US team when he needs all time he can get to adapt Hammarby/Swedish style of play (this is all my own opinion).

Even though CD did not score as much as we fans hoped, he still had all support from us.
    But if he does not deliver this season, the patience with him will probably run out pretty fast, and the fans will probably turn against, and demand for a new (better) striker.

Allsvenskan starts 31:st this month.

Keep us updated of CDs progress over there.

25. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He can only go up from where he was against Cuba.