Official Charlie Davies News/Updates Thread 3.0

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Illusionbox, Aug 23, 2007.

1. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes, I fell victim to that also. How long has that U23 camp been going on for anyway lol? Must be keeping players in camp all the way up until qualifying.

2. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Impossible! The quality of MLS is clearly below that of the Scandinavian leagues. :)

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Whatever the case, Davies certainly seems to stand a better chance of starting for Hammarby this year then for the Red Bulls so long as they have Angel and Altidore. So, relative quality aside, seems he's in a good spot.

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, first game for Hammarby in 4 months. What do you expect?

As opposed to ... errm.

5. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    Ives clarified in his commentary, Davies was allowed to take a bit of a break.

This isnt an effective way to gauge talent levels of the two leagues, it's really a matter of opinion, but it's not like NYRB was anymore prepared than Hammarby for this one, both are in presseason, so let's not use that as an excuse. Good match for the NYRB new guy, good to see Reyna thread a ball through for a goal, let's keep it moving.

When is the next Hammarby friendly? I assume they're staying in the states for a little while longer, hopefully Charlie can get in the next match, this is a big year for him. He needs to score some goals and take command of a starting spot.

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
  7. Darius.Hammarby

Darius.Hammarby New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Stockholm
    New game on wednesady no clu who but the second game on saturday is aginst Ventura Fusion 10.00 am local time.
    Is Ventura Fusion a god team??? :cool:

Forzza CD/Bajen :D

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
  9. Corn

Corn Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Charlie was back in training yesterday but Im not sure if he will play tomorrow (against a team that nobody knows about...).

Charlie HAS to perform this year. This year we have no alternative to put in if CD does not deliver.

10. Sweetness

Sweetness Member

Aug 27, 2007
    bajen seriously struggle when charlie is away during the olympics. especially if anything happens to paulinho... a repeat of last years gk crisis, but at forward.

by the way, where does simon helg prefer to play? attacking central mid or as a winger?

11. Corn

Corn Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Yeah but I hope that Hammarby will get a fourth striker during the summer break, when Charlie is away. But Charlie and Paulinho must not be injured in any of the 8 games before the break.

I don't know what he prefers but he played winger all the time in the talent team and I don't think he will get any time at any other position this year.

12. DestroyerDaMarc

Dec 8, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until the USMOT (Olympic Team) qualifyes, there's no need to worry. So Bajen fans relax, he won't be going yet. Stranger things have happened.

13. Corn

Corn Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Hammarby will play Cal State University Dominguez Hills today at 12.30 (LA time).
    Don´t know the quality of this team compared to Red Bulls but I guess they are a bit less skilled.

No reports that CD is injured so I hope he will play.

In the first half of the Red Bull game, Hammarby defense and midfield where to far from each other and that is why they were allowed to score 3 goals before Hammarby got their shit together. This issue has been something Hammarby has worked on since then.

My expectations of this match is the same as from last match. I mainly hope to see some good football from Dadamo (he looked promising last time) and from CD.

www.Hammarbyfotboll.se will have a live report.

14. Darius.Hammarby

Dec 30, 2006
    Stockholm
    Cal State University Dominquez - Hammarby 0-3

6 min "Lolo" Chanko 0-1
    57 min CD hard shot on goali return to Paluniho 0-2
    68 min Castro-Tello

Hammarby had Rami Shaban as goali

FORZZA CD/Bajen

15. Corn

Corn Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Davies got a 3 out of 5 in yesterdays match, which is above average.

Quotes from those who saw the match was that he is often brilliant when he receives the ball and uses his speed but to often he tries to dribble a bit to much.

Paulinhos goal 2-0 came from a rebound from Charlies shot.

Sebastian Castro Tello was best in Hammarby.

Cal State University Dominquez was a pretty lousy team (no offens to anyone) that had some physic but not much more then that. Hammarby had the game from start to finish.

16. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I believe Cal State LA/DH is a Division II team and Charlie probably dribbled circles around these type of players when he was still in high school.

The most impressive thing for me about the highlights was when the Bajen passed into space and players made perfect runs into it.

Not that I am against dribbling per se.

18. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlie played well, although I understand the "dribbling too much" concern.

I also thought the Cal State goalie had a tremendous game, in spite of the fact that he let in three.

19. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    Playing Ventura today. What's the report so far from camp Darius?

What's the schedule for the team next week? The word is the U23 coach will call in the the players for the U23 Olympic qualifier next weekend.

20. Obese

Obese New Member

May 9, 2007
    Solna, Sweden
    Club:
    Hammarby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Playing Fuszzzion right now. CD and Paulinho on top and the score is 3-0 for Hammarby. None by CD at the moment...

21. Darius.Hammarby

Dec 30, 2006
    Stockholm
    Ventura - Hammarby 0-5
    Starting line

Rami Shaaban

David Johansson
    Klebèr Saarenpää
    Christian Traoré
    Claudio Dadomo

Sebastian Castro-Tello
    Petter Andersson
    Louay Chanko
    Haris Laitinen

Paulinho
    Charlie Davies

20 min Palinho
    33 min Petter Anderson
    39 min palinho
    68 min Palinho
    83 min Niklas Gustafsson (jr) fresh man

CD did a good game 4 shoot at goali but no goals :( well well
    Hammarby was outstanding or ventura just sucks :D Hammarby had fun and was much more wake wake this game than aginst "red bull"
    Forzza CD / Bajen

22. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Davies set up any goals??

23. Lorelaei

Lorelaei New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Stockholm
    I've read through the report and it doesn't seem like it.

Btw, this picture of Davies (under the headline "Hammarby played") is hilarious.

Edit: Also found a video from the game against Ventura Fusion, there's a little bit of Davies in there.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl7QEwNORmo

24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Could be both I suppose, but Ventura is a PDL team (essentially, fourth division) and all amateurs. Plus, PDL teams generally don't get their full rosters until college lets out for the summer, so I don't even know who would be on the squad for a game in February. Anyone see a roster for them?

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Ventura would be a pub team, if its guys were old enough to drink.