Official Chant list

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by DrLudicrous, Apr 3, 2006.

1. ben_BCBB

ben_BCBB New Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Houston
    I'm not in the Texian Army - the Bootboys will be doing our own thing - but here's a few of the one's we'll be singing. We'll be in the general north goal area at every game, can't aford season tickets though so we may move around from section to section sometimes.

Boots are made for kicking,
    scarves are made to wave,
    and if we see a (visitor) fan
    we'll put him in his grave

(I learned this from a very drunk Man U fan in a Machester pub):

If you drink, you will die,
    If you don't drink you will die,
    but I'd rather be a drunk
    than be sober when I die,
    So drink, drink, wherever you may be,
    we are the drunk and disorderly,
    and we don't give a ********, we don't give a shit,
    we're coming home with the championship

(And here's a Dallas one I came up with :) )

Eff you FC, eff you FC,
    Dallas is the worst team there could ever be,
    your fans all smell,
    you can all go burn in hell,
    eff you FC, eff you FC!

oh yeah and if you care to hear 2 cents from a well-meaning outsider... drop the Dixie shit. I doubt Serioux wants to come all the way from Millwall of the notorious monkey-chants just to hear the confederate anthem being sung at him. Not to mention the other black players on the team. Whatever the tune might mean to you, it has connotations of slavery to alot of people, especially if they weren't born in the south.

Well see y'all Saturday and VIVA DYNAMO!!!,
    ben BCBB

2. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The songs for your group are good dude, but I have no idea what you're talking about with this paragraph. :confused:

3. ben_BCBB

ben_BCBB New Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Houston
    I just noticed in this thread, some people suggesting songs to the tune of "Dixie." Didn't hear them last Sunday though, so maybe nothing will come of it... but i think it would be a bad idea.

4. jaa1029

jaa1029 Member

Dec 29, 2005
    H-TOWN
    I didn't read through the chant list but I think it would be pretty cool if after a goal is scored by one of our own, after the initial cheering, we started chanting the scorer's name as a mini tribute to him. After busting his ass putting the ball in the net, imagine the feeling the he would have having the whole stadium chanting his name. I sit on the west side in sec 203. I know other teams' fans do it occasionally but I don't know if they do it as a tribute to every scorer. I'll start it on the west side. What do you think?

5. 82/83Texan

82/83Texan New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Spring
    I have seen some request throughout the site for spanish songs... No disrespect meant, but I don't think we should have any spanish songs. We are in the United States of America must I remind you and our language is English. There shouldn't be an arguement needed to support that, but some small ones are: 1) our players speak english, why cheer for them in a language they don't know? 2) we changed the name to cater to some of the hispanic community, yet this group is based on keeping 1836 alive... so it seems like we are contradicting ourselves if we sing spanish. 3) Leave the Spanish chants to those who know them, let them have a chance to start their own at times, if they feel neccesary.
    remember we are in Texas and those that live here should speak english. You don't see Astro, Texan, or Rocket fans chanting in Spanish... so why us? This is American soccer... lets start our own culture and tradition

6. The Spleen

The Spleen New Member

Sep 8, 2005
    San Antonio, Tejas
    You obviously have not met the bilingual Texian Army president or spoken to him about his vision for the supporter's group.

7. 82/83Texan

82/83Texan New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Spring
    Guess not, but I still believe that the songs should be in English. There is no disrespect meant in that. The Central and South American countries have great supporters for their teams and a great culture around soccer. I don't argue or have anything against that, but I think that soccer is still developing as a sport here and many of those who played baseball, or football growing up don't view soccer as an American sport. I think we need to help build and create a soccer culture here that will be included with the big boys of MLB, NBA, and NFL. we need to create our own culture around soccer, develop American Soccer. That is why I feel that the chants need to be in English, becuase that is America's language. I feel the same way about british chants. We need not to be copiers, but create something new. I can't say it enough, i don't mean to be offensive and it is not something against Spanish speakers, it is simply because English is the language of our country.

8. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most songs will probably be in English, but the occasional "Ole Ole..." or whatever can be a lot of fun. Also don't forget that a lot of Mexicans died in 1836 fighting for Texas' freedom, so I don't see any contradiction, and believe me, I'm one of the most die-hard 1836ers on this forum.

9. 82/83Texan

82/83Texan New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Spring
    Yes, ole is great... its soccer. I know all races fought against the dictator Santa Ana, that's why i didn't understand the name change cause Mexicans and Americans fought for Texas independence, so there is no arguing there. I'm not hoping to create a big contraversy, I just feel that chants like Si se puede! are great for the Mexican National team, but that is their chant. Let them have it and lets not steal it for the Dynamo. I realize that this is a sensative subject and can be construed numerious ways and become heated, but that is not what i was going for. I was just voicing my opinion that in creating our own chants to keep them English, becuase that's what our county is. That is just my opinion though, i know not everyone will agree and i have nothing against those that don't.

10. KotWF

KotWF Member

Jun 13, 2003
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm one of the most die-hard 1836ers on this forum too - check my posts/see my coon-skin hat and custom 1836 gear for proof - and I like having some of our songs and chants in Spanish, especially the more traditional ones. One of the things that was really cool Sunday was that alot of the folks that gravitated to our section to cheer with us were Hispanic... and they didn't seem to have any problem coming over and hanging out with a bunch of folks wearing "Texian Army" shirts, waving "Come and Take It Flags," wearing (at least one of us) coon skin hats, and waving a giant banner with "1836" on it (Sylvia, did you notice?), and at the same time, some of the new guys started chants in Spanish that we mainly English speakers immediately picked up and yelled too.

11. KotWF

KotWF Member

Jun 13, 2003
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think when we're writing new songs/chants the natural thing to do will be to write them in English - although every now and then we might want to write something in Spanish to achieve a specifically desired effect. When we're borrowing songs/chants... I think it's sometimes more fun to do them in the languages we're borrowing from. I know this is a REALLY cheesy analogy... but when I go to Tokyohana its more fun to eat some of the food with chopstix than it is with a fork.

On the first point no worries... we're neither very sensative here nor will we construe.

12. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really an accurate analogy either. Mexico didn't invent soccer nor is there such a thing as "Mexican soccer." I know you were trying for a "when in Rome" thing, though I don't really think it applies. I just like chanting ***hole in Spanish. :)

13. ben_BCBB

ben_BCBB New Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Houston
    Cerritos is from El Salvador, Moreno is from Venezuela, and according to the Dynamo website DeRosario speaks Guyanese Creole with his family.

I agree here, with our fan base some Spanish chants will happen on their own... and will probably be better Spanish than anything we gringos come up with. I'll join right in once I figure them out though!:p

14. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guyanese Creole? That sounds like something I ate while living in Louisiana... :D

I don't see a 50/50 split (nor any kind of official split, for that matter) for chants in English or Spanish or Guyanese Creole. I see them happening spontaneously, and as Nobius has pointed out with his self-censored post, some chants just sound better in another language. Why not use it, then?

And as far as tradition goes in the Texian Army, it seems to me that everything that has been done as a group has been done with an eye to who the people were and how they thought as they endured through those rough and uncertain times 150 years. That is our tradition.

15. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that's not what Houston is. I see what you are trying to say and I don't hate you for saying but I don't think you could be any more wrong. Houston isn't just English...it's nearly as much Spanish as it is English and it's a lot of other languages and races too. Spanish songs bring something extra to the game in my opinion that songs in English don't. This will sound cheesy but I think having one huge collection of multiple ethnicities each bringing their own unique view or experience to the game creates a truly unique and entertaining experience. Divided and compartmentalized, is how it is usually done...but if you get every different type of ethnicity to share a portion of their love for the game (be it with songs, traditions, chants...whatever) you will create the best soccer experience this country or any other could ever hope to obtain...kind of like the Voltron of supporter's groups.

OK, yeah...that was cheesy, but I still think it's true :)

16. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some better than others. I was yelling something that probably wasn't Spanish, and certainly wasn't English, though I'm sure Little fordfjord would have understood me.

17. The Spleen

The Spleen New Member

Sep 8, 2005
    San Antonio, Tejas
    hate for the referee and calling him an ***hole always seems to bring people together, no matter what language it's in.:D

18. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody ever cheer for the referee? ;)

19. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    Here is one in Spanish:

Somos Houston (or Somos South Tejas)
    Viva ala madre que no pario
    Bebemos Whiskey
    Miramos Futbol (or Jugamos Futbol)
    Y siempre andamos de Reventon

Repeat until you get kick oput of the stadium....

20. Berean Todd

Berean Todd New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I personally like the idea of a couple of spanish chants myself, nothing wrong with acknowledging our diversity.

21. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    I say we need to be different then all the other teams I think singing songs in english and spanish is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need a large flag that covers the whole entire end behind the goal!!!!!!!!!! when the team comes out to the field a big ORANGE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. schwabe13

schwabe13 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    in the best MLS town
    I agree !.
    I'm myself a foreigner ( german) and the least a foreigner can do in this country : speak english.
    The USA makes it to easy for the hispanics , with all the documents and everything in spanish . Us germans make the same fault for the 5 milllion turkish people living in Germany .... I'm sick of it !!! .
    Yes I understand the spanish language ( I speak italian) but my chants will be in english ( exept the Ole , Ole , Ole )
    This is the USA, the language is english , lets get some Tradition ....
    Joachim

23. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Yes they do.

But there's always somebody cheering louder against the referee.

24. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    This is the USA, the language is english , lets get some Tradition ....

May I remind you that spanish was spoken here before english in Tejas.
    Please!!!!!!! I say let them sing in what ever language!!!!!!!! as long as we win!!!!!!!!!! soccer is the international language. lets not start making comments about what language we have to sing in you will only divide our fans and we dont need that.

25. ben_BCBB

ben_BCBB New Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Houston
    Yes, this is not just the USA, this is TEXAS!!! We have our own traditions! Let Chicago and DC and the rest sing in just English... I'm singing in Spanish and in English, but y'all can do what you want. (And if the Vietnamese poulation of Houston comes to games and has a chant, I'll learn that too, hahaha!)

Ole! VIVA DYNAMO!!