Official CFR Cluj thread [R]

Discussion in 'Romania' started by Boloni86, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I figured we should create an official thread for the CFR who are now the leaders of Liga 1 at the halfway point. We should probably create a Poli Timisoara thread too ... but I'll do that some other time ...

Anyways there are a lot of interesting things going on in the world of CFR.

CFR is now putting together a possible offer for Yssouf Kone, a player from Rosenborg. This player has scored a total of 8 goals for Rosenborg this year in Champions League ... The problem is that other clubs like Chelsea might also be interested ...

CFR is also interested in Paul Codrea (Siena) and Cosmin Contra (Getafe). Contra is under contract until 2008 and Codrea until 2009. Poli Timisoara is also interested and is preparing a transfer offer in January...

2. Edgar

Edgar Member

Re: Official CFR Cuj thread

Cluj surge into half-time advantage -> uefa.com.

3. adhoc

adhoc New Member

Dec 15, 2005

Transylvanian tycoon gives CFR some clout

By Jonathan Wilson, perhaps the best informed English writer on E European football. He wrote an excellent book called "Behind the Curtain"

(my own article, for When Saturday Comes (UK football magazine) to follow in January)

4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar

60 million Euros??? I think this club is like heroin for Paszkany ... I can picture him 20 years from now living on a street corner in cluj with no money left telling people stories about how he brough Ronaldinho and Messi to CFR ...:D

5. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Nice to see a CFR Cluj thread and 2 very interesting articles. :)

I didn't know that they have such a wealthy and crazy tycoon. It's surely not bad for the city and the club ... but € 60 million sounds really crazy (he should better invest a few millions in the city's infrastructure)! :eek:

Is there still any club without a tycoon in Romania in the meanwhile (like here in Germany)?

Btw: When I check a famous German site, I see that Steaua & Dinamo are still ahead of CFR in relation to the team value.

http://www.transfermarkt.de/de/wettbewerb/RO1/1ligarumaenien/uebersicht/startseite.html

They have a lot of foreign players, but no one is really expensive yet ... so I'm curious how much they are going to spend for next (Champions League) season.

6. Boian

Boian Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is it true that Fabianni wants to play for the Romanian team?

7. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

First season defeat for CFR (0:1 in Timisoara due to a last-minute goal).

8. elmalasorte

elmalasorte New Member

May 30, 2007
    Transylvania (ROM)

It is just a rumour .. Don't know yet!

9. elmalasorte

elmalasorte New Member

May 30, 2007
    Transylvania (ROM)

CFR Cluj signed Diego Ruiz from Huachipato, the golgeter of Chile's championship, Sebastián Dubarbier, a young midfielder from Olimpo, and Lars Hirschfeld, the GK of Rosenborg Trondheim ...

10. adhoc

adhoc New Member

Dec 15, 2005

By the way, having scanned through the record books would I be right in saying that a club from Transylvania has never won the Romanian championship? I know UT Arad and at least one team from Timisoara have, but as they are technically in the Banat, that leaves... nobody?

11. Edgar

Edgar Member

Arad and Oradea (I.C.O. won in 1949) are in Crisana.
    Timisoara and Resita (U.D. won in 1931) from Banat.

The only... Ardelean champion is Coltea Brasov in 1928.

List of Romanian champions -> RSSSF.

4 teams from Ardeal won the Romanian Cup:

Universitatea Cluj
    Gloria Bistrita
    Jiul Petrosani
    Ariesul Turda

12. adhoc

adhoc New Member

Dec 15, 2005

Thanks Edgar

Interesting fact I have just discovered - IC Oradea are one of three clubs in Europe to have won league championships in more than one currently existing country - they won the Hungarian league sometime (pre-1918 obviously) and the Romanian league in 1949.

(The other two are Rapid Vienna - who won in both Germany and Austria, and Derry City - who won in both Northern Ireland and the Republic)

(There are obviously a lot of other clubs who have won leagues in more than one country, but one of those leagues would be in a country which no longer exists - USSR, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia etc)

13. adhoc

adhoc New Member

Dec 15, 2005

Sorry, I was wrong, "Nagyvaradi AC" (IC Oradea) won the Hungarian league in 43/44. Difficult to imagine that there was a league at all that year, but there you go.

14. tebthereb

tebthereb New Member

Feb 11, 2007

I noticed that NUNO CLARO has been starting a lot of games lately, was wondering if STANCIOIU is out of favour having been sent off against Pandurii or if something else is going on here?

Kone looks a decent signing.

15. Edgar

Edgar Member

Hirschfeld to help Cluj ambition -> uefa.com.

CFR bought a Canadian goalkeeper from Rosenborg.

16. tebthereb

tebthereb New Member

Feb 11, 2007

Looks like Nuno Claro won't be keeping his place then.

17. Edgar

Edgar Member

Transylvanian title dreams live on -> FIFA.com.

18. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Nice article.

19. adhoc

adhoc New Member

Dec 15, 2005

By the way, I haven't forgotten this thread/board. I'm just not entirely sure of the copyright status of my article, and WSC doesn't put the magazine online yet. I also haven't seen the final sub edited version because the Romanian postal system has seemingly "lost" my copy (something that happens fairly regularly). I know the article was in the February edition of the magazine which came out on Jan 15th, but beyond that...

Just to prove it: http://www.wsc.co.uk/issues/index.html (look down the contents list of this month's issue until, you get to "Letter From")

20. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

The link you posted doesn't work...:confused:

After Rapid's and Steaua's surprising losses from this weekend and their convincing 4:1 over Craiova, CFR Cluj are as close to the 1st championship as never before!

21. Edgar

Edgar Member

It worked at that time. Here's the correct link -> WSC.

22. adhoc

adhoc New Member

Dec 15, 2005

I have the article scanned, but can't attach it here (unless someone knows different), so if anyone would like me to email it to them let me know, and I'll happily do so.

23. Bulangiul

Bulangiul New Member

Jan 25, 2008

THAKE THIS THREAD OFF!!. CFR Cluj is f*cking cheating club, their fans are hungarians who are crying for independence, they´ve got only one Romanian!!! ONE ONLY!! And he is not even good enough for our national team. And their president, god what I hate him, Muresan. He is worser than Becali for crying out loud. He is bashing us romanians and Steaua fans for claiming us for all bad things in Romanian soccer. F*ck him and all their fans. YOU WANT INDEPENDECE? WELL COME AND GET IT THEN!!

FORZA STEAUA!! LET THE BATTLE OF TRANSYLVANIA BEGIN!!

TRANSYLVANIA WONT BE ANOTHER KOSOVO, WE FROM ULTRAS ARMATA CAN ASSURE YOU THAT.

TRECETI BATALIOANE ROMANE CARPATII!!

24. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    LOOOL!

So the whole of Cluj is full of Hungarians...:eek: ;)

Hey @ C3sar, are you a Magyar as well? :)

25. Bulangiul

Bulangiul New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    No. No way. The majority of Cluj are Romanians, but the majority of CFR are hungarian fans. And bad ones, hungarians that dont even know a single word in romanian as a protest for indenpedence! Even our rivales are with us tonight. You should see the fans from U Craiova, who are recognized one of Romanians and Steaua´s worst rivals, they all scatned STEAUA STEAUA just beacause they know we are the symbol of Romania and the only team who can stop a Hungarian machine like CFR Cluj.

So this match is pretty much like. "The Pride of Hungary" Vs. "The Symbol of Romania".. Like Dinamo Zagbreb Vs. Red Star Belgrade.