OFFICIAL CANADA VS USA THREAD JUNE 21 pre/in/post

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Camcamy, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Camcamy

Camcamy New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Toronto
    It should be a tough one. Discuss!

2. TFC07

TFC07 Member

May 19, 2007
    Brampton, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    To be honest with you, I am not scare of USA. They didn't look good today. I think Canada can pull it off and beat USA. Our defence is the only thing I am worried about right now.

3. hodgkiss

hodgkiss New Member

May 21, 2006
    Toronto
    there are parts to both of our games that make us good and bad. honestly, i think our defence is pretty good. hainault is just very young and has twice let the ball roll in instead of making a challenge.

i thought panama looked good against the usa and their quick runs just blew right by their defensive mids and defence. this may be our key. i have total faith in hart and the team as they have proven taht they belong here and are willing to put in the solid effort to prove to the rest of the world that we are and will be a force to reckon with.

we need to shut down donovan and our defence needs to mark dempsey/beasley/twellman very tightly. but if we can control the ball like we did today and limit the chances that the usa gets, we can come out on top just as we did against guatemala. i like that hart is using our offence as a tool to set the pace instead of just following teh pace set by the other team. he has the right strategy and we have enough talent to make thsi work very well!

go canucks! can't wait for thursday!

4. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is going to be an interesting game for both teams.

5. TFC07

TFC07 Member

May 19, 2007
    Brampton, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Oh man, it is going to be intense on these boards with all USA supporters talking crap about Canada now. This could be a start of very good rivalry between these two teams if Canada wins of course.

Let the trash talking begin! ;)

6. USAsoccer2

USAsoccer2 New Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Your goalie (onstad) is horrible, we will easily put 5 goal past him

LOL, Just kidding

I think it will be a very very close game

7. leafdolfan

leafdolfan Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    sportsnet has a baseball game at the same time as this game will they show it live on 1 of their channels (they better , i can't believe they didn't show todays live!!)

8. Michigan Bayern Fan

Michigan Bayern Fan New Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Melvindale, Michigan
    As a dual citizen having lived most of his life in the states, I am torn as to who to cheer for on Thursday but I will settle for an intense, well-played game with the winner going on to beat Honduras or Mexico. The U.S. has a stronger starting eleven but De Guzman and/or De Rosario can kill any team in this tournament. Should be a lot of fun..........................

Also, I was trying to remember the last time I saw Canada play before this year's Gold Cup. The 2000 Gold Cup and the '97 World Cup qualifier against the U.S. at Swangard were the only two that I can recall. Have their matches been shown on some of the Canadian networks unavailable to U.S. viewers or have their matches simply not been televised at all?

9. justink

justink Member

Jul 15, 2000
    MNT games in tourneys & WCQ qualifying have been on tv as Sportsnet has rights to all Cdn national team games (just signed a contract extension) - friendilies have generally been on tv. But not all games were on live and sometimes just shown on the Sportsnet alternate digitial feed.

So, if you weren't looking for them, it would have been easy to miss.

10. Manunitedhabsfan

Manunitedhabsfan New Member

Feb 20, 2007
    I was really impressed with Canada today. They played a near flawless game against Guatemala. The US is going to be tougher to beat, but it is possible as I don't think the US is playing to their potential.

Our defence can be shaky at times, so that is the key. I thought Hainault played a good game today, but OMG, he's gotta help out Onstad! I can't believe he repeated the same mistake today as he did against the Haitians.

11. zacRWE

zacRWE New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Essen, Germany
    Gonna be a tight game, may go into extra-time.
    I like the call that though USA has deeper team, Canada has two gems that are going great right now. Should be good!
    ALLEZ LES ROUGES!

12. JinJin

JinJin Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    People keep mentioning De Guzman and DeRosario, but Hutchinson may very well be the better than both of them, he's playing deeper and more defensively so we don't get to see as much of his offensive abilities.

13. Azuran

Azuran Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Rogers owns the Blue Jays so they get first priorities. Also, they did show that match live.

14. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I think they didn't put it on Sportsnet Ontario because the Blue Jays have priority in its home market.

Too Bad, because this will be Canada's biggest game since...a long time.

15. guppy

guppy New Member

May 19, 2007
    Aquarium
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nepal
    It's tough to call. Of course if Canada weren't playing well, it would be easier to call, but they are playing great! USA should be concerned. Hopefully they are not, and they get caught thinking about the final.

USA is a big team, and they maul smaller teams ... push them around. They smother those kind of teams. I guess the trick is to be quicker and not get completely pushed around, either ...

16. leafdolfan

leafdolfan Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I get east, west and pacfic, but didn't get the game live

17. hodgkiss

hodgkiss New Member

May 21, 2006
    Toronto
    i have those too but it was live on sportsnet yesterday! i was totally surprised but it was on. rogers here in woodbridge was playing it on channel 76 (and maybe even a few others - i just stopped there when i saw it) and the description said canada vs guatemala...

so just keep your eye out in the futrure and never take what the guide says verbatim.

18. hirtme

hirtme Member

Nashville SC
    May 2, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK - you said it best. It's not a rivalry because Canada never wins. I mean you didn't even make the final round of World Cup qualifying.

Stick to things you know like hockey, bacon and fishing.:D

19. Wangy

Wangy New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Man, I'm tired of all these "is the game live?" questions. You guys should know the drill already. If there is a Blue Jays game on, they won't show the Canada game live on Sportsnet Ontario. Instead, you have to check the other three Sportsnet channels (East, West and Pacific) and the game will definitely be on live on atleast one of those channels. If you don't have digital cable, than you're obviously out of luck.

20. hodgkiss

hodgkiss New Member

May 21, 2006
    Toronto
    ya lets stick to things we know like creating basketball, hockey, lacrosse and helping other countires in need.

and you guys stick to the things you know: pissing other countires off, putting your nose where it doesn't belong and the destruction of anything outside of the usa.

oops, did i say that?

i think you guys might be in for as little shock when we meet. you just keep thinking that way and we'll turn you inside out!

21. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    In this tournament, Canada has played better and worse than I've seen them play in a long time. Very Jekyll and Hyde. I think the Canadian midfield is as talented as any in CONCACAF. It's the rest of the team that is suspect.

The US is at a different level. If they bring their A-game and finish chances, they should win comfortably. That said, Canada has a few players that can win a game single-handedly, so you never know.

In any event, the future looks bright for Canada and for CONCACAF, as it seems there are some teams in the region that are set to really break out. Canada is one of them. this will be good for the entire region and hopefully will raise the level of all.

22. USAsoccer2

USAsoccer2 New Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Your guys Defense and goalie are horrible. Your goalie will easily be the worst the USA has faced yet in 2007, and your D, well it's nothing to be proud of. I will Give you one thing though, your midfield I very good, never mind very good your midfield is awesome. De Ro is awesome. I hope he doesn't score a fee Kick goal on us like the one that was MLS goal of the year a few years ago.

By the way I hope you guys win the Jonothan De Guzman battle

23. Mainer5

Mainer5 Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Topsham, Maine
    I think the US "fans" are underestimating the Canadians a bit too much. I don't think the US squad or coaches will look past this game. As for quality of Canadian play, look at what Toronto has done so far this year. And thank god this game isn't going to be played in Toronto, the fans up there are great and make me want to see a game in that environment!

The style of play will be similar with both squads, so it should be a good game, I don't see too much flopping on the ground going on either way.

Good Luck on Thursday!

24. hodgkiss

hodgkiss New Member

May 21, 2006
    Toronto
    the americans from what i can see have some talented players - the best being howard. other than that, it seems as though you host a bunch of individuals who want to be the hero. i'm not convinced the usa will beat canada becase when canada gels, which they have shown in a couple of games, we can beat anyone in this tournament. and i assume you're refering to sutton (the two goals he let in against guadeloupe) because other than that, we've alowed only 1 goal - the same as you! and 8 goals for to your 9. now you may want to think about your statement again... but for our sake, i hope you guys continue with your ego driven comments because - you've got another thing coming!

by the way, shakey defence? panama was blowing by you guys several times in yesterday's match. and that was certainly a hand ball in the box near the end of the match. panama would've scored and it might of been a different game. you guys are lucky to be going into thursday's match - that's for sure!

good luck - you're gonna need it!

and let's face it, you guys should win considering it's in yourt own backyard.

25. ArsenalGooner

ArsenalGooner Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I'm going to have to disagree with you about the US being lucky to be in Thursday's match- in most part due to the fact that they were never behind and did take a 2-0 lead and probably backed off a bit after taking the lead...

But, I'm not going to argue about the US's defense being shaky. Bocanegra and Gooch just don't seem to be able to function well together or communicate. I think the issue more is Gooch's fall from grace than Bocanegra- he's been pretty solid outside of being paired with Gooch.

I've got tickets for Thursday and this is the match I wanted to see in the semi's (hopefully with a US-Mexico final). Whatever way it turns out I'm going to enjoy it and am sure that it will be a great game. Canada has turned in some of the most entertaining performances of the entire tournament and hopefully we'll get to see it again.

A plea to both sides- keep it about soccer and keep it civil. We're neighbors and friends and there is no reason to bring any of that crap into discussions about the national teams...