Official Building Draft Choice Thread, Part III

Discussion in 'Art & Architecture' started by tog, Apr 2, 2006.

1. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!
    Henequen Haciendas of the Yucatan

Hacienda San Jose

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Just discovered and read through the entire draft. I'm no professional, just a lowly design student, but I thought I'd toss a few undrafted buildings in here from California - really mostly Los Angeles.

I'll start with one that's near the Salk Institute in La Jolla, on the campus of University of California - San Diego.

The Geisel Library (Named for Theodor Geisel, Dr. Seuss himself)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tower is an established form in the history of architecture. Subverting traditional notions of the tower's appearance, however, is a college library at the southern end of California designed by William L. Pereira Associates. Geisel Library, the main library on the campus of the University of California in San Diego, is a highly sculptural building constructed of reinforced concrete and glass, materials closely associated with much of Pereira's work. Although the architect is perhaps best known for the design of the later Transamerica Building, the pyramid-shaped tower that pierces the skyline of San Francisco, Geisel Library is considered by many architecture fans to be an even more striking structure.

3. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Moving north and a bit closer to home is a Lloyd Wright (son of FLW) creation that is the most beautiful church I've ever been inside of (everyone I know gets married here). It's made of redwood, stone, but mostly glass.

Wayfarer's Chapel aka The Glass Church - Palos Verdes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    More from the glass church:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    And a couple more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A view from the location:

[​IMG]

6. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    From the Los Angeles International Airport, I present the famous "Theme Building", current home of the Encounter restaurant. Interestingly, done by the same guys who did the Geisel Library and San Francisco's Transamerica building.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Echoing the Martian invaders in the War of the Worlds (Paramount Pictures, 1954), for which his brother, Hal Pereira, was Art Director, William Pereira's "Theme Building" for the new Los Angeles International Airport was intended to resemble a landing spaceship. Calling this "the first terminal area specifically designed for the jet age," FAA Administrator Najeeb E. Halaby predicted at its opening that the new airport "may well achieve some of the worldwide renown . . . as--who knows--Disneyland." (Los Angeles Examiner 26 June 1961)

7. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    The Getty (New), Los Angeles - $1 Billion

These pictures are almost 10 years old... Naturally, it looks even better today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
  9. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
  10. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Cathedral Of Our Lady Of The Angels, Los Angeles (2002)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    The Griffith Observatory, Los Angeles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    The (Korean) Friendship Bell, San Pedro - a few miles down the coast from the Glass Church.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!
    Hey Taco... how about:

The Mormon Church in San Diego close to UCSD, and the one in West L.A?
    The Mosque in Culver City built by King Fahd
    There are probably 10 to 20 draftable homes in Malibu
    A few of the missions

14. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Just though I would bump this thread with a news item. A new building being built in Chengdu, China to house the Institute for Nanobiomedical Technology and Membrane Biology will be shaped, both inside and out, like ...

a cell!

Among other interesting items,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]