Official BigSoccer HipHop Thread

Discussion in 'Books' started by FulhamRev, Jul 17, 2002.

1. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I've been trying to download "How Many Emcees" forever with no success. I can find "Buck Town" and "I Gotcha Opin'" with no problem, but my favorite Boot Camp track? Nooooo.

I went into Virgin today to sample "Lost Tapes" but the player was broken. Argh.

2. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Did you know!

The Roots are defintely my favorite group. You said A Tribe Called Quest working on a new album? If this is true, I'm really looking forward to it. :)

3. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    So how's the Lif album?

4. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Nothing new, but I'm listening to Deltron 3030 right now and I'm convinced Del and Dan are pure geniuses (genii?)

I also downloaded Jurassic 5's "What's Golden". So far so good.

5. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina

I was flipping through the channels last night and I can't remember what show it was but I believe it was on CBS. During the beginning of the show they're driving around LA and playing some Deltron. I enjoyed it immensely

--I've been playing the hell out of "What's Golden" I can't wait until the new album drops. They had a pretty good interview with J5 in URB and a review.

6. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, I've only listened to it once (and not all that carefully). It's a concept album, in that all the songs tie together to create a story about the struggles of man in our capitalistic society...kind of like how man is just a cog in the machine, etc.
    Well, it's a neat concept, and I love Lif, but it's kind of a downer to listen to the whole album. And none of the beats really stand out in my mind. I think Lif sounds great over simpler, old-school sounding beats, but El-P couldn't really pull off a more minimalist sound.
    But I need to listen to it more. Lif is a great emcee...I like anyone that actually puts thought into their songs structure, message, etc. And he's got a great voice. His stuff normally grows on me the more I listen to it.

I caught that Deltron thing on CBS too! I was just talking to my roommate about how many TV shows use good music in the background, when I flipped to to CBS and.....DEL!

7. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lif is growing on me.

8. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    And how's the "Scratch" DVD? I'm think of ordering it, the Lif album and maybe "Endtroducing"

9. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Did you know!

Picked up The Roots illadelpia halflife cd...excellent stuff, I need to get some more of their cds.

This was from a few pages back in this thread.

10. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. "I, Phantom" is chock full of dense, dark, medium-tempo stuff that has come to be El-P's signature as of late. While I absolutely love the Cann Ox production, the stuff El-P has done recently has just gotten too monotonous. The album is not all bad though, but I would be hard-pressed to qualify it as a 'must buy.'

ODG, If you don't already have it, I would buy "Enters The Colossus", before "I, Phantom". Though "Enters" is almost all Insight, which may or may not be your flavor. It's cleaner, futuristic stuff, whereas "Emergency Rations" is more Edan and Fakts One.

So the Blackalicious/Dilated Peoples/PE show was a dissapointment- Bogarts listed the groups in the wrong order, so I only got to see two and a half songs from Blackalicious(as we got there late hoping to miss most of dilated people's set). The best part of DP's set was Babu- they should've just shut up and let him scratch. All I can really say about PE was that Flava Flav is in jail, and they had that whole rock band fantasy going on.

So is Sonic Sum worth checking out? Haven't heard them at all, but I was told I might like them.

11. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    You don't have "Endtroducing"? Don't walk, RUN to your nearest internet browser and order it. Well, I may exaggerate, but in my mind, it's an essential.

From this week's issue of The Onion:
    Review of Scratch

And also:
    Interview with rap duo: Blackalicious

12. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina

I've got it on mp3 but as part of my "Supporting Quality Music" program I'm going to buy a real copy so he can buy some more obscure records.

13. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely pick up Endtroducing. And if you're looking for a new hip-hop album, you could do a lot worse than the new Slum Village. It's a much more enjoyable album than Mr. Lif.

14. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nevermind about Sonic Sum- I just figured out the reason I hadn't heard them probably has something to do with the Mike Ladd connection. I'd rather remain ignorant on that front.

Listening to Def Jux Pesents Voume II last night I decided that maybe El-P saves his good production for other artists. Which is why I won't be buying the new El-P instrumentals album.

So, I'm thinking about getting this for the weekend-

http://dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=3747

15. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    Long time, no see.

Jazzanova sounds like something I'd be into.

Is the new(ish) Anti-Pop worth the money, or no?

16. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you can listen to this guy-

Or you can do the right thing and buy the new Anti-Pop full length. Not "Ghostlawns" though, as it's just a three song re-mix, and you'd be giving money to support Mike Ladd's addicition to mediocrity.

17. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I just finished watching Scratch. Mixmaster Mike and Qbert are as funny as they are brilliant. And it's interesting how every turntablist names "Rockit" as the reason for getting into scratching.

I think I'm getting the Jurassic 5 CD.

18. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the guy that doesn't have Endtroducing, immediately pick it up. Seriously, one of my top 10 CDs.

I guess I may be Mr. Lif Superfan #1 here, but I love I, Phantom - my #2 hip hop CD behind Blazing Arrow for this year. Return of the B-Boy, Status, and Earth Crusher are my favorites off the CD.

The new Motion Man is also pretty good. If you liked Masters of Illusion, you'll like this album too.

Xzibit's new one is amazingly disappointing.

19. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the west coast, at least. They weren't exposed to the early hip-hop like folks on the east coast were. So for a lot of them, that was their first exposure to Hip-Hop in general and DJing in particular.

Ain't no thinking about this one. Go get it. :)

20. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got it last night. It's dope. It comes with a bonus dvd, which is pretty cool. I'm not sure if I like it better than Quality Control. They're both great albums. It's hard to say if one's better than the other.

21. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    The new J5 is high quality on first listen. Like futbol2ot says, it's a tough call as to which is better between it and Quality Control. This one has a couple more songs with serious subject matter (at least that's how it struck me). Plus, it has Kool Keith freestyling on "DDT".

22. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Advice for those considering buying the new Large Professor CD....don't bother. It's pretty boring. The songs with Nas (Stay Chisled) and Q-Tip (In the Sun) are pretty good, but otherwise, I wouldn't waste my money on it (oops, too late for me). But I ordered it from hiphopsite.com, so it came with the previously unreleased "The LP" (which I found pretty boring too) and a mix CD. The mix CD is pretty cool. It covers all of his old classics from the Main Source days, a couple of songs on the new CD, plus some of his remixes and stuff he's done for others.

23. Bilbao2Brooklyn

Jun 20, 2001
    Brooklyn,U.S.A.
    I got a problem with J5, i like there music and sound, its just there content, mostly what they do is talk about how there not about the money, cars girls. Ok fine, but your still rapping about it. Instead of saying they have or need it, they're just saying they don't have or need it. Not really innovative, just really reactionary, kind of like a "No Pigeons" type of deal( but done much better). To me , they should go in an wholenother direction. They have too much talent

24. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actaully thought they started doing more of that on "Power In Numbers." You didn't see them doing songs like "Thin Line" and "Remeber His Name" before, IMHO.

25. Soccerik

Soccerik New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Anticon fans out there?

I'm new to this board but it's always good to see threads like this here...

Also a big fan of I Phantom... my favorite beats were probably those done by Insight.

Out of curiousity, does anyone here listen to anyone out of the Anticon collective? I'm from the Bay Area and have seen several shows in SF/LA with various members. I've definitely grown to be a fan.