Official "Ban Soccer Horns" petition

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by cliffkram, Sep 22, 2003.

1. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    Fans of New England Revolution and MLS-

An online petition has been created that will be forwarded to Major League Soccer upon completion of this season, imploring them to ban what has been known as "Soccer Horns". I urge you, if you do not want these horns at the matches next year, please sign the petition which can be found at http://www.petitiononline.com/MLShorns/petition.html
    Let's put forth a solid effort and rid MLS of thse horns.

2. Tony Biscaia

Tony Biscaia Member

Feb 17, 1999
    Signed.

I agree in principle, although at Gillette Stadium it hasn't been a problem for years. Compressed air-horns are much worse, and somehow they do get in the stadium occasionally, such as for the Barcelona vs. Juventus game this summer (good thing they don't kill you, only make you deaf.)

Now, about those bozos who think it's funny to bring a referees whistle and blow it at the wrong times... should we start a petition to have them tossed out of the stadium immediately, or give them a one-time warning?

3. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We complain that our stadiums are as quiet as a morgue and then we are asked to sign a petition to ban one of the few things that add some noise and atmosphere. Next we will be asked to ban cheering because it hurts some peoples ears. I may not choose to blow a soccer horn but I sure as hell wouldn't dream of asking that they be baned.---NOT SIGNED!

George

4. jw

jw Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does not appear to be a problem at Gillette, and like George said, we could use SOME noise.
    If anything, ban the schedule magnets...they could possibly interfere with pacemakers!

5. Kenp

Kenp BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 17, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    So horn noise is better than no noise. Sorry, I don't buy it.

As mentioned above, we in New England are fortunate with respect to these horns, and "it's a local issue" may be a better reason for not signing.

BUT- I've heard enough of the horns via TV to sympathize with those unfortunate souls. That's not atmosphere, that's simply random noise pollution which prevents more meaningful expressions of support.

At Gillette, we have our own mass murderer of atmosphere- he's the PA announcer. With the constant interruptions and turned up volume, he singlehandedly prevents any attempt at a normal conversation, much less group cheering.

I don't know how many times I've started to talk to a neighbor about a play when I was drowned out by one irrelevant comment or another by the PA announcer.

Constant horn blowing must be worse.

6. keegofan

keegofan New Member

Oct 30, 2001
    Mass.
    One person's "noise" is another person's "atmosphere."

KF

7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    How about constant horn blowing DURING the "announcements"?

8. NateP

NateP Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Plainfield, NH, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with George and Keegofan.

I hate the damn horns, along with those awful banger sticks they pass out nats games, but who am I to tell them to be quiet so that I can stand and chant which they may find just as annoying. I know I wouldn't want them to try to stop me.

9. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    horns and bangers are part of the atmosphere, and when they get so loud, its so incredibly fun to be there I wouldn't want them to leave. One of my favorite types of games to go to is the internationals that include a Latin American team, because of the enthusiaism and noise they bring. I disagree with your petition. Silence is not beauty in MLS, its actually ugly.

How will MLS take your petition serious if you still think the Mutiny and Fusion exist?

10. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    i think he is actually referring to people that 'toot thier own horns' at games, you know the loud mouth in your section that acts like they are the second comming of bruce arena, and a custodian of us soccer history, and goes on and on about they were once an ODP star, and they were fans from the begining of mls...

he's trying to ban most BS posters from going to mls games...

11. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    This just about sums it up. I think I'm with Tony B. on this one. Ref whistles are obnoxious. Air horns are obnoxious. Plastic horns are marginal. None compare to loud voices, singing, chanting, drums, and clapping. IMO, not all noise is created equal, but then that's just MO. I would certainly sign a petition to ban air horns and whistles.

12. Fiero20

Fiero20 Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    compressed air and ref/coach whistles should be banned.

not the horns.

i agree that some people can be very annoying with them, blowing them every 2 minutes, but if they are used when deserved (i.e. after a goal, good play, good save) they deserve to stay. i want to go to a MLS game someday where every fan is into the game showing their appreciation for their team and making rediculous amounts of noise to support them.

horns are another reason why "home-field advantage" should mean home-field advantage.

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    use this in place of horns!!
    [​IMG]
    they would get a bang out of this
    ;)

14. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    gimmie a break.

why does this person want to get rid of any noise or show of emotion at a soccer game.....and why is he/she allowed to spam our revs' forum, where the horns he's talking about aren't allowed at gillette anyway?

dude, you're an idiot....you don't "ban" them. you ask your club to figure out ways for people to use them and to accomodate people that don't want to sit next to them.

15. Beast_Ed

Beast_Ed Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Boston MetroWest
    Ban Horns ?

BBAAAWWAAAHHH !!!!

You MUST be a soccermom, bringing little Jenny and Johnny to the soccer game.

Come on. The droning horns are AWESOME !!!

The airhorns and ref whistle's are a good way to get your ASS BEAT though, and they are banned I think, to the best of my knowledge.

Love the horns when I watch MLS on TV too. Just get your DolbyDigital 5.1 Receiver in "Stadium" mode and it's like being there!

- NOT FRIGGEN SIGNED

p.s. Where can I get one of those soccer-horns anyway .. bbbrrr brrr brrr brrr brrrrrrr brrr brrr LOVE THAT !

16. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you kidding?

Did Lou Imbrianao and Marvelous Mark Briggs dream this up? Certainly to ban them from Gillette, we'd have to let them in first! The Krafts have practically killed all attempts at creating a lively atmosphere in the Razor for Revolution soccer whereas Foxboro Stadium felt like a party, even if there were only a few thousand fans on a rain-soaked day. You can barely hear the Riders the way you could in the 'Boro, and try to bring a noise-maker into that cave now and they treat you like you have a bomb strapped to your belt...I'm amazed they were ever able to straighten out the drum issue from last season. Have this guy go through the atmospheric drain that NE Revs fans have seen since the demise of the old 'Boro and we'll see what kind of a petition he starts.

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally wish they would ban all PA annoucements during all games. That was the only bad thing about going to Battery games at the otherwise absolutely perfect Blackbaud Stadium.
    You couldn't even hear the person next to you during announcements.

18. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution; Boston Breakers
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn right about the ref whistles. I have a whistle on my keychain always. There was one game, maybe year 3, where the referee was adding too much time. :) So I helped him with a good TWEET!!!

Ummm, play stopped - for a moment - and my local stadium security person got very angry. Fortunately I had built up a fairly good relation and pleaded momentary insanity with a promise never to bring a whistle again. I even showed my key chain for a few games so they knew I had no whistle (on the keychain ;) ).

19. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    NOT SIGNED

Brrr Brrrrr BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR brrrr bbrrbrbrrrrrrrrr.

"Shut those kids up. We want a proper atmosphere where people can hear our clever chants."

Can't believe fans, who have been rightfully pushing for relaxed stadium restrictions on stuff like flags, drums, smoke bombs, etc. are responsible for a petition to ban horns.

Horns can be irritaing but they're better than silence. Hopefully soon they'll just be part of the mix.

Brrr Brrrrr BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR brrrr bbrrbrbrrrrrrrrr BRRRRRRRRRRRR. Love it.

20. xmerl

xmerl Member

Sep 29, 2002
    I think that the horns are already banned at Gillette.
    At one of the '94 World Cup games at Foxboro Stadium we bought a horn for my son.
    He faithfully brought it to all of the games and to the Revs games beginning in 1996. After the game he'd bring it to autograph alley. Lallas, Chrono, Keegan, Sawatsky, Beto were some who signed it.

About three or four years ago, we were turned back at the gate. We were told that soccer horns were not allowed in the stadium. Not too happy to have to walk back down Rt. 1 to put it in the car, as the only other option they gave us was to put in the trash barrel.

21. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    well, it was good to see that the crack security team at foxboro is still as consistently inconsistent as ever.

went to the gillette stadium website (and revs) before yesterday's wwc games, where it said 24" sticks for flags were allowed...sure 'nough, i had to surrender mine to the check-in tent b/c multiple supervisors said that they've never been let in (of course, i spotted multiple fans walking around the stadiums with flags on sticks of similar or greater length)

as for the horns....illegal according to the website and security. however, saw multiple horns attached to high school and club soccer team girls yesterday as well.

if there is a "change" for a fifa run event (which i don't think was the case)....how about a little signage b/f one gets all the way to the gate?