Official "Ban Soccer Horns" Petition

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by cliffkram, Sep 22, 2003.

1. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok you go to a stadium where they allow umbrellas.

I wish your kids had hit you harder to get the Shite out of your ears.

Watch a Metros game, if you want we'll strap you in. You can barely hear the announcers over the din of the horns.

If it wasn't your kid, but one two rows behind you who was blowing the horn louder than the Springsteen concert the night before. You might feel different.

Oh by the way can you tell me the purpose of these things. Kids and adults blow them most of the time because they aren't into the games.

You are such a horses A$$. Go back to your own board schmuck

2. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    noise enhances the atmosphere. Taking away this would give you a dull lifeless crowd (kinda like Gillette). How can a League survive with dull fans in the seats? Thats exactly what you people are asking for. First horns, then drums, then singing. 144 signatures is goin to get you no where. Suck it up.

3. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    Lame Sound Decisions in GS

Lame Sound Decisions in GS

1 - Playing the Empire Strikes Back theme as Metro comes on the field - That was the Bad Guy's theme!

2 - Letting us hear the SSB singer with sooo much reverb, but playing the announcer levels at whisper setting.

3 - Who the F came up with the idea to start playing those Big Ben Bell chimes whenever we take a corner?

4 - And then at the last two games, they follow the chimes death knell with some random bad electric guitar solo.

5 - and spare me the hockey organ chants!

So from minds like these come the horns.

4. BigSoccer Radio

BigSoccer Radio New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Everywhere USA
    We'll put the word out

We're going to put the word out regarding the petition on World Soccer Weekly as well as the WSW website and BigSoccer Radio shows and sites.

5. supermetros

supermetros New Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Park Ridge, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I saw almost 50000 people in line for tickets until they saw a bunch of 6 yars old with horns enter the stadium, then they turned around and left. C'mon. I doubt it.

The horns definitely suck but this isn't a Jets game where if the guy behind you is cursing or the fat bastard to your left takes up a seat and a half, you can't go anywhere. Is it really that difficult to just move away from them?

6. AtNacional

AtNacional Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Washington DC
    You can move away from the horn itself, but you can't avoid the horrendous sound it produces.

7. supermetros

supermetros New Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Park Ridge, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again the horns do suck but they are better than the sound of indifference at most games. If the ESC didn't exist you might hear crickets on most nights....

8. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Somebody obviously had the bright idea to ape the "Close Encounters" chimes the Yankees play when they score a run. I'd like to know how much they pay the clown that comes up with stuff like that.

And I hope the only horns at matches are ones that were purchased at the game. I don't think security should let anybody bring them in if the rest of us can't have an umbrella on a lousy day.

9. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'm with you there. True they are annoying but the kids are doing it because they're bored. If all the stadium was singing Metros songs, there would be no need for the kids to let off their steam by blowing the horns.

10. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    Father Ted,
    You know if you grabbed the horn out of the kid's hand and then handed him the song sheet... and if there were a way for the ESC to cue the rest of the stadium what songs were about to be sung, then you'd likely have a lot more voices.

I think a lot of folks would join in, but the only one everyone knows is the," You S##k A##hole!" chant.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste, but a young mind with a horn(obscure Kirk Douglas Movie reference) is an even worse thing to waste.

Joking aside, getting the songs and chants out there as an alternative is worth a shot.

Have you guys tried that before? Selective hand outs, putting them up on Big Soccer...fans do love to make noise together and I doubt all the English terrace fans just grew up knowing them all or if they did they we, some of us, need to be shown the way.

If the voice is mightier than the horn, get more voices

11. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Tried this exact idea in KC and two things happened:
    1) Fellow BS posters from other cities (although mainly Chicago) made fun of the fact that we were handing out fliers with our chants on them.
    2) No one jumped right in like you said, although most of the fans in the stadium got a sheet with all the chants and songs we do. You couldnt tell a difference, thats for sure.

12. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    At the last Metro-Crew game i was at the gift shop trying to buy a Metro scarf for my little sister when some lady showed up with 4 kids that wanted to buy horns for them. The two guys behind the counter were busy helping other customers so i decided to intervene. I told her that there weren't any left and that they would soon be banned because of the hearing problems the horns were causing the little kids who used them...

It worked.... there were 4 less horns going off that night.

13. JayKay

JayKay New Member

Apr 22, 2003
    NJ
    Thursday night's game was a joy to watch without all the horns going off. Even with only 8,000 in attendance, the atmosphere was much better. I could hear the ESC & SE from the moment I walked in.

14. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

If the horns will drown out the "real" fans who were chanting "bull sh it, bull sh it" at Rimando when he stood up and tested out his torn ACL Thursday I'm all for them.

15. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    These were the same fans who got so quite after DC went up 1-0 that you could hear a rat piss on cotton.