Official "Ban Soccer Horns" Petition

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by cliffkram, Sep 22, 2003.

1. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    Fans of MetroStars and MLS-

An online petition has been created that will be forwarded to Major League Soccer upon completion of this season, imploring them to ban what has been known as "Soccer Horns". I urge you, if you do not want these horns at the matches next year, please sign the petition which can be found at http://www.petitiononline.com/MLShorns/petition.html
    Let's put forth a solid effort and rid MLS of thse horns.

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    The only people that should be allowed to bring in the horns are members of the supporters clubs... responsable people who will put the horns to good muscial use....

3. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Horn Nazis.

4. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

?

5. JayKay

JayKay New Member

Apr 22, 2003
    NJ
    Put in my "signature"

If MLS won't ban for the entire league, we should petition the Metros specifically to keep them out of Giant's.

Since they already have 1000's of these to sell, I don't expect them to just ban them all of a sudden. They'd be throwing away money by doing that. I'm still hoping they can figure out a way to get them out of the games yet not lose money doing it.

Once they stop selling them at the games, the horn problem won't be as bad.

6. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Horns are the bane of MLS. They're bad enough for people in the stadium, but they render the games virutally unwatchable (at least with the sound on) on TV. 90+ minutes of non-stop dying cows...it's unbelievably grating, and there's no way the league will ever get a decent TV deal until the horns are silenced: who but the most hard-core fans would sit through that kind of torture?

Even if the league doesn't completely ban horns, they could just stop selling them. Eventually the only people who will bring them will be in supporters clubs.

7. Ganush34

Ganush34 New Member

The only people who should be allowed to bring nuclear warheads are members of the United Nations.....

8. psycho killer

psycho killer New Member

May 26, 2003
    NJ
    I agree with Ed. The horns are the worst. If you think they're bad on TV try going to the game and having a whole team of 8 year old soccer kids blowing them right next to you. It's maddening. You just want to grab the horn and start beating them over the head with it. I understand MLS needs to keep it fun for the kids but that's just too much.

I signed the petition and I will encourage others to sign it.

9. MartSkin

MartSkin Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Right Back
    48 Signatures Total

Come on we have to stop this epidemic before it's too late. Invariably when I watch a game with someone they always ask me what that annoying sound is.

10. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Teams like the Metros will NEVER ban the horns no matter how many petitions you sign. They won't do anything until someone is clubbed over the head with one of those things by a fan who is actually there to WATCH the game.

11. JayKay

JayKay New Member

Apr 22, 2003
    NJ
    Until someone clubs the small childern that blow these things over the head with their horn, this petition is the best attempt yet to solving the horn problem.

77 sigs at this point. It can't hurt to add your own even if you think it won't help.

12. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't bring a plastic diet coke bottle I am drinking from into the stadium but these 4 foot horns are allowed!! 80 signatures and counting.

13. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ban the damn things. Then maybe I could hear the ESC chants during the game and anything besides the horns when watching on TV.

14. Metro_tico

Metro_tico New Member

Mar 31, 1999

You know, you can hear the chants nice and clear from Section 101 AT THE STADIUM!!! with or without horns..

15. I won't sign this one, but I'll sign a petition to have the Guinness/Harp taps set up nearer to Section 101 instead of back at Gate C.

16. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I'm not a huge fan of the horns, but I do understand that it makes the game fun for 6 year olds who don't have the proper ADD medication to watch 90 minutes of soccer.

I'm in favor of banning them, but I have a hard time believing that a cash strapped league will give up a revenue source because we find it annoying. Those things are like 5 bucks and they probably sell 100 or so a game. Metro doesn't make money from concessions, but other teams do. Would they care just because we asked them to? I'd like to hope so, but I doubt it.

As mentioned, the best way to ban the horns is for someone to take one, run onto the field and attack the ref with it. Then they'd be banned. Short of that, MLS will put up with annoyances that make them money. Put someone's eye out and they'll talk turkey. Hey, what about the MLS final? Could someone bum rush the halftime show and jump Marcelo Balboa with one during a sideline interview? I can think of a few Metro volunteers...

17. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about if we staged a mock 'hoolie' battle, using the horns, in the section?

18. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I've got it. Metro Horn Jousting. Each fan gets a horn. One fan per row. They start on opposite sides of the section in the aisles facing each other (even rows on the right, odd rows on the left). They take turns jousting, running at each other from opposite sides of the section and turning around to have another go once they reach the far side. Row 1 vs. Row 2, etc, until someone is rendered unconcious, and loses the battle. If we did this synchronized, it would be pretty cool to see on television. Make your hand into a point with fingers extended, and shove it in the horn (proctologist style). Now you're ready to Metrojoust. If we set it to Kraftwerk, we'd have the best American soccer hooligan video ever.

(yes, I am kidding here).

19. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Strange people here...

I may start an equally absurd petition to mandate FREE horn distribution just piss off you fussy little whiners. I go to games and watch the rest. I've never been disturbed by them on TV and only at the stadium when one of my kids hits me in the head with it.

Noise is good.

Or maybe this is all part of the "they don't do it in England so it must be bad" line of thought

20. AtNacional

AtNacional Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Washington DC
    I wonder if you can smuggle things into the stadium with those horns...;)

21. Sccrlvr27

Sccrlvr27 New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    Lol. I think that would work.

I definately agree with and signed the petition. Last season i had this 6 year old in the row behind me, and the horn was the most annoying piece of crap ever. It may provide fun for the common 6 year old, but no one is forcing them to attend the game. If their attention span isnt 90 minutes long, why should we have to suffer for it? We, as the fans, have the right to go to a game, watch it and enjoy it w/o having to get a migrane b/c of some dumbass kid two seats away.

133 signatures...

22. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it's part of the 'you need 10 voices for every horn, and it makes the TV broadcast damn near unwatchable crowd' line of thought.

My first soccer petition effort was to have all plastic horns in existence be loaded on to a rocket and shot into the sun.

My next petition will be to have all horn-blowers and horn supporters loaded on the rocket, as well.

23. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Momentary aside, signature fame is so fleeting.

24. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Official "Ban Soccer Horns" Petition

Well IN ANY OTHER SECTION OF THE STADIUM YOU CAN'T HEAR THEM OVER THE HORNS!!!!!!!

25. JayKay

JayKay New Member

Apr 22, 2003
    NJ
    Kids will come to the games whether they can pay attention for 90min or not. Their parents buy them the horns to keep them occupied.

The horns drive potential fans away from the game, and more importantly, they drive potential fans away from watching a game on TV.

If I wasn't a huge soccer fan and I turned on a Mooing Metrostars game, I'd pass by as quickly as I could. If I heard a good atmosphere with cheering crowd and musical chants, I might keep it on for a while.

This should mean more to the league than a few 8 year olds $5 who aren't even watching the game.